• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Popping sound from Subs since remving DDRC88A

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in the process of trying to switch from Dirac Live to Audiolense Room correction. I bought a new windows pc specifically for the purposes of trying audiolense.

Today I removed the DDRC88A from the audio chain, but doing this seems to have caused some issues. I've had Dirac turned off for the past few days, so the box wasn't doing any correction. After removing the box, however, my subs now make a popping sound every few minutes(like a DC is hitting them). This also happens whenever I load programs.

Previous chain was
HTPC > Denon X4400H > DDRC88A > Subs

New chain was
HTPC > Denon X4400H > Subs

One thing that happened is that speaker volume went up 10dB, with subwoofer volume going up 15dB or so.

Any ideas what could be causing this popping noise?

Audyssey is off.

I may end up having to go back to Dirac Live anyway, as I haven't been able to get Audiolense to even work yet, on either of the two machines I purchased :(.

OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Loose RCA cable?

Seems to be the most likely possibility. Hmmn... can't really think of anything else.

This is is my thought, too. I've pushed really hard(almost as hard as I can) to make sure they're secure as possible. The subwoofer cables are rather thick, though(Blue Jeans Cable), which may be the problem.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
My problem is the opposite. I use a cheapo 3.5mm trs cable to RCA cable to right angle adapter. Since cables are dangling from a standing desk, cables come loose or I accidentally trip on them more often than you'd think. Very tight cables could cause damage... so loose cables/connection is somewhat desirable in the cases where I do trip over said jungle of wires. ;)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you measure for dc offset? Could try a Harrison Labs fmod. Pretty sure will block dc.

The slight pop during minidsp reconfig is normal. Would rather it did not do, but find acceptable for general use.

OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you measure for dc offset? Could try a Harrison Labs fmod. Pretty sure will block dc.

The slight pop during minidsp reconfig is normal. Would rather it did not do, but find acceptable for general use.

I didn't measure it. It sounds like a really fast and super deep bass note, which is why I thought it might be a DC issue. I have my woofers pointed at the wall, so I can't see if they're moving, but I'm pretty sure they are(and that's what's causing the pop).

Also, I may have done a poor job of explaining in my initial post. The popping noise comes from removing the minidsp from the chain. When the minidsp was in the chain, there was no popping.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So thinking perhaps you are describing a thump rather than a pop? May not eliminate DC as a suspect but just thought it might help. Could be some other type of noise then. I really struggle to believe the Denon is DC-coupled...

Do you have an optical output on the HTPC?

Top Bottom