• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PIR as a function of listening distance?

dfuller

Major Contributor
This is something I also wonder about because I know for a fact I'm listening within roughly 1-1.5m.

dfuller

Major Contributor
What is PIR?
Predicted In-room Response - basically averaging together direct sound with computed reflections to come up with a response curve resembling what a speaker would behave like far-field in a room without modes. I believe it's 12% listening window, 44% early reflections and 44% sound power; I'm not sure what distance that averages as however because presumably closer than far-field should end up with a higher percentage of listening window vs early reflections.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The calculation is an empirical percentage approximation, in reality it will depend not only on the listening distance but also on the reverberation function of the room which also varies at different frequencies, which is also the reason why a constant value based prediction will always be an approximation.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But still a room size would have been considered when designing the percentage in the formula ? wonder what that was ?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What distance is the standard PIR for?

Would it be possible to calculate PIR with distance as a parameter. Increasing distance will lead to increased slope.

I did some googling, but couldn't really find anything like what I was looking for. I believe Harman's targets are based on 3m or 3.5m distance?

Off the top of my head I don't remember if PIR in its current form is described anywhere as necessarily corresponding to a specific distance.

However, the Early Reflections curve comes from Devantier 2002, which surveyed 15 listening rooms. The average listening distance was 3.3 meters or 10' 10". That paper also includes a crack at a predicted in-room response, but does not specify how it was calculated, if it used the 12%LW/44%ER/44%SP we use nowadays.

In the Olive preference paper part 2, 13 PIRs are compared to their actual in-room response averages. These in-room responses each consisted of an average of 9 measurements taken at 3M, representing the listening window angles (0; ±10 vertical; ±10, 20, 30 horizontal). In my experience performing a spatial average of this sort does produce results closest to the PIR. The speaker was 1.2m away from its rear wall and 'slightly-off center' from the sidewalls.

So usually when I think of the PIR, I think of it as a roughly 3M measurement, though 2M generally corresponds well too. Anything below that and the curve starts to look more and more like the on-axis. But as noted by @thewas, it's always going to have some variation.

I'd be curious to see if people reproduced Olive's methodology how close speakers would line up in a variety of different kinds of rooms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom