Search results

1. Robbo99999

A call to all DIY Speaker builders here on ASR....

Sorry for the vague thread title, didn't know how best to word it. There's a guy here on ASR, Xulonn is his username, and he is likely to pass away quite soon, and he started a thread describing his situation...
  2. Robbo99999

For Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming: 2 channel speakers vs headphones??

I don't know how many of you are gamers, but I've always been using headphones for gaming, and in the past 4 yrs I've been using Creative's Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound on my headphones. I'm starting to think that 2 channel speakers (2 speakers) could be better for 7.1 virtual surround sound...
  3. Robbo99999

Resolve's B&K 5128 Headphone Target - you can try the EQ's.....

Hello everyone, Resolve has created a headphone target for his B&K 5128 measurement rig (which is an alternative measuring rig to the GRAS that we know that Amir uses here on ASR). Now this new measurement rig (B&K 5128) is supposed to be more anatomically accurate than the GRAS rig, but the...
  4. Robbo99999

AKG K702: a valid alternative EQ to Harman Curve for you to try

I'd like to offer you all an alternative EQ to the Oratory EQ, it's still done to the Harman Curve but it's using a different set of measurements. Oratory's measurement for the K702 has changed by a large amount over the various versions of pdf's he's released for it, and for my 4 units of K702...
  5. Robbo99999

Some recordings come to life on full range gear vs limited range?!

I know you sometimes hear talk of recordings being designed so they sound good on car stereos and through the radio on **** equipment, but I never really thought much about it. But today I listened to some old music of mine that I never really thought much of in terms of it's balanced sonic...
  6. Robbo99999

What creates Unit to Unit Variation in Headphones.....and further relevant discussions around this topic.

Hello Folks! Recently I've come to the conclusion through my own experience that unit to unit variation in headphones is a massive barrier/influencer to enjoyment of headphones. I've created this thread because I think Unit to Unit Variation is a massive thing that should be focussed upon by...
  7. Robbo99999

Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound processing in Headphones

Hi, I thought I'd start this thread as a gaming virtual 7.1 surround sound enthusiast in headphones. We can let this thread develop into whatever we like on the topic of Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound processing in headphones, and perhaps I'll continue to edit this first post with links to useful...
  8. Robbo99999

Tilt Tone Control for Headphones / Speakers

Hello folks, I've created a simple wide acting Tone Control Filter that can be used in any of your parametric EQ software of choice (details of the filter later in this post). As a lot of us know there's this thing called "Circle of Confusion" which I think could have been a phrase coined by...
  9. Robbo99999

Headphone choice and Hair Length?!

I gotta say I think I may have noticed something a little strange recently.:p I've been growing my hair the past year and I think it's affected my headphone listening. K702 has been my favourite headphone over the last few years (EQ'd to Harman like all my headphones) which I've been mostly...
  10. Robbo99999

*NEW* AKG K702 has been measured by Oratory!

Hi, like the title says, Oratory measured my K702 I sent him, I've got two pairs and I sent him my old pair from year 2015 (made in China, not Austria). Yes, so Oratory published the result today: https://www.dropbox.com/s/033kxyf8a0o3iv6/AKG K702.pdf?dl=0...
  11. Robbo99999

How easy is it to Damage a speaker during Distortion Testing?

As the thread title says, how easy is to damage speakers during distortion testing? The reason I ask is that recently I was measuring my JBL 308p speakers for distortion to try to compare against the distortion measurements that Amir did on the same model of speakers, and today I properly...
  12. Robbo99999

Audio Christmas Gift for Parents....Music Player for their 5.1 AVR System?

Hi, I'm thinking about Christmas gifts for my parents, and thought "audio", they currently have an Onkyo AVR 5.1 system for TV & Movie, and a crappy little Bose CD "boombox" for music listening in their dining room. I was thinking of making their music listening more flexible by buying somekind...
  13. Robbo99999

Oratory1990 has REMEASURED a load of headphones and updated his pdf's

Oratory has recently remeasured a load of headphones, (I think using a new firmware), and it's changed some of the frequency responses. Here is his post listing his update (incl a few new headphones he's measured too): Here's the Sennheisser HD600 that I have showing his old measurement vs...
  14. Robbo99999

TV/Movie 5.1 channel Dolby Digital system advice for my parents

Hi, like the title suggests, I'm after some advice re setting up (purchasing) a 5.1 Dolby Digital system for connection to a Sky Box (I live in UK). It's not for me, but for my parents as their current system which I bought them as a present in 2010 could be broken (I'm gonna check it out at...
  15. Robbo99999

PEACE clipping meter question!

According to the clipping meter in PEACE, how come I have to run a -6.5dB pre-amp if my total EQ curve only seems to need -4.3dB, however it's really only in this particular song (lots of bass) that the clipping meter is triggered to such an extent that it requires more negative preamp than the...
  16. Robbo99999

The New Sennheiser HD600 vs the Old Sennheiser HD600?

As the title says, I'm curious to know if there are any established sound differences between the new HD600 (https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/best-audio-headphones-high-end-stereo-hifi-hd-600 ) that was relaunched with new cosmetic looks in late 2019 vs the old and somewhat fugly HD600...
  17. Robbo99999

Long Covid Lockdown Hair interfering with Headphone Listening Experience?! :p

So, like the title says, is long Covid Lockdown hairstyling messing with your headphone experience & how do you combat it? Scissors / brushing hair away from headphones before placement / or no effect if hair inside your cans?! What's your coping strategy? (Yeah, this is partly humorous, but...
  18. Robbo99999

How important is signal input level (volts) from a DAC into an active speaker in influencing perceived sound quality?

So like the title says I'm trying to get some validation on the influence of the signal input level (V) from a DAC into an active speaker in terms of perceived (& measured) sound quality. Also, what are the objectively measured sound quality variables that can be influenced negatively or...
  19. Robbo99999

Manual Audio Input Selector Switch Advice?

Hi All, I currently have a laptop and TV that I use for connections towards my 2 channel JBL 308Mkii speakers...laptop for music playing and TV for TV & movies of course, ha. Problem is I keep having to swap input cables on the back of my JBL active speakers, so I've researched into manual...
  20. Robbo99999

Advice for 2 channel TV/theatre/music system?

I'm currently exploring upgrading my sound system for my TV/Movie/Music listening experience. I currently have an old Sony HiFi system (MHC-S3) from 2001 hooked up via Optical to my TV, and I would say I'm generally happy with it in terms of it being an upgrade from built-in TV speakers - I've...
Top Bottom