• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Christmas Gift for Parents....Music Player for their 5.1 AVR System?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I'm thinking about Christmas gifts for my parents, and thought "audio", they currently have an Onkyo AVR 5.1 system for TV & Movie, and a crappy little Bose CD "boombox" for music listening in their dining room. I was thinking of making their music listening more flexible by buying somekind of fairly portable player that can store ripped CD's and hook up to their Onkyo AVR as well move it when they want (portable) to hook up to their little boom box in the dining room.....they could move it between the two (or leave it connected to the AVR)....I think playback through their 5.1 AVR system might be the main attraction as I think the potential for better more immersive sound is to be had from playback from the AVR & it's speakers. So I'm after buying advice for such a portable player device as I have no real experience in this domain? Another bonus of hooking up to the AVR might be multichannel music, maybe some tracks are recorded in Dolby Digital, I don't know if that would be the required format re my parents AVR for multichannel sound? And how would 2channel music sound on this system, I think it's got Dolby ProLogic as part of it's arsenal for converting 2CH to 5.1, but I'm not sure on this?

For reference here's some relevant screenshots of the various inputs & capabilities of my parents Onkyo AVR (HT-R538):
Onkyo Rear Panel.jpg
Onkyo Rear Panel 3.jpg
It seems to me that I'd want some kind of a player that could hook up to one of the digital inputs because it says in the manual that Dolby Digital & DTS are accessible through those connections, which might be useful if they want to listen to any music recorded in multichannel?? I really don't know much about multichannel music. For the main part I think they'd be listening to music recorded in 2CH, their existing CD's which would be ripped to the device.

Do you folks have any advice for me on these fronts, and maybe ideas I'm missing re the music player/gift that would make better use of their existing systems?

EDIT: ease of use would be a factor, as they're in their 70's and not the most tech savvy, although they're not too bad, they both got smart phones & use a laptop with varying success!

Last edited:
OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After looking into this I'd be wanting a DAP with a Line Out. Does anyone have some advice for relatively inexpensive DAPs which are neutral and have a Line Out? How much variance are we talking in the amount of output power via Line Out, I'm thinking I'd want at least 1V output for connecting to my parents AVR & other equipment? I'd want the DAP to be able to create Playlists or use Playlists and have shuffle options, it would need to playback m4a files. Another option for output would be digital output via digital coaxial or toslink.

Last edited:

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe something like the Lintech Airlino+ or a Yamaha WAXD-10 MusicCast adapter?

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe something like the Lintech Airlino+ or a Yamaha WAXD-10 MusicCast adapter?
Thanks very much for the reply, that seems to be for music streaming, although it would definitely connect to my parents AVR via RCA.....but I'm looking more for a "hardware direct connection" option, so like a DAP with all the music on that you just attach physically to the AVR.

About the Yamaha though, how would a person send music via wifi from laptop to the Yamaha? I don't have any experience in such audio gear, although I am very familiar with computers and to some extent routers. I'm probably more erring on the side of wanting a DAP to physically connect via Line Out to the AVR.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
First off, do they have WiF? If so, given it's ease of use, you could consider a basic Amazon Music subscription, and 2 Each Echo Dots - one for the AVR, one for the Boom box. Using Alexa, they listen to whatever - w/o need to rip a library.

Another approach, assuming the AVR is not bt enabled, is to provide it to the AVR via line in. Done nicely with a $110 Qudelix 5k, which also gives you PEQ for AVR/speakers. Then store ripped CDs on their Smartphone (or get a basic one with sufficient sdcard storage) bt to the Qudelix as a bt DAP. (No wires to AVR needed)

Last edited:

StefaanE

Forum Donor
First off, do they have WiF? If so, given it's ease of use, you could consider a basic Amazon Music subscription, and 2 Each Echo Dots - one for the AVR, one for the Boom box. Using Alexa, they listen to whatever - w/o need to rip a library.
That’s a neat idea.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool, nice idea & not expensive for the hardware! Yep, they've got Wifi, so that would be easy. At first I didn't see how it could work, but those Echo Dots have a Line Out. Do we know anything about the quality of the Line Out? Music Subscription is included with Prime isn't it? (They've got Prime so they could use that?)

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Do we know anything about the quality of the Line Out
It's likely not great 'audiophile' performance, given the hardware is similar to Amir's recently reviewed Fire 7. But I myself use an old $10 Echo Input (Dot with no speaker, but line out) to a $20 goodwill RX-396 to R162s for my BR system. Perfectly happy with it using Alexa from my Moto phone to control it remotely.

I myself do pay extra for Amazon music HD - but that is because I have a HP setup using the Qudelix via USB to an LG Rebel $30 TracFone/DAP (HE400i balanced to Qudelix). (My 'serious listening' system :))

BTW - do not pay extra for Amz Music HD if the only way they will access it is via Alexa to the Echo. This is non-HD, always. (But your parents will never notice)

Last edited:
OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Another approach, assuming the AVR is not bt enabled, is to provide it to the AVR via line in. Done nicely with a $110 Qudelix 5k, which also gives you PEQ for AVR/speakers. Then store ripped CDs on their Smartphone (or get a basic one with sufficient sdcard storage) bt to the Qudelix as a bt DAP. (No wires to AVR needed)
It's likely not great 'audiophile' performance, given the hardware is similar to Amir's recently reviewed Fire 7. But I myself use an old $10 Echo Input (Dot with no speaker, but line out) to a $20 goodwill RX-396 to R162s for my BR system. Perfectly happy with it using Alexa from my Moto phone to control it remotely.

I myself do pay extra for Amazon music HD - but that is because I have a HP setup using the Qudelix via USB to an LG Rebel $30 TracFone/DAP (HE400i balanced to Qudelix). (My 'serious listening' system :))

BTW - do not pay extra for Amz Music HD if the only way they will access it is via Alexa to the Echo. This is non-HD, always. (But your parents will never notice)
Excellent advice from you, I didn't really know about the functionality of the Echo Dots, and hadn't even considered it! I've just bought one for them at half price in a limited time offer - talk about luck/fate, thanks for your advice! Sound quality is gonna be perfectly fine for them with the Line Out through their AVR, I'm sure. Plus they'll be able to have access to 2 million songs through their Prime Subscription, and if they want access to the 70 million songs then they can buy an extra subscription.....so given it was only £29.99 for me to provide a way to get music through their AVR, well beyond their current catalogue of owned music, they probably only have 100 CDs or something (if that)....so they'll get better quality music through their AVR versus their little "Bose Boom Box" and have access to loads of different music of their choice, and all for me only spending £29.99, bargain!

Out of curiosity, do you know the bit rate that the Echo Dot streams at for the music, is the music on Amazon 128mbps or 256mbps or what? I'm sure it probably won't matter to them much, but I can certainly notice less quality when I play 128mbps iTunes stuff (I don't play 128mbps anymore).

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Thanks very much for the reply, that seems to be for music streaming, although it would definitely connect to my parents AVR via RCA.....but I'm looking more for a "hardware direct connection" option, so like a DAP with all the music on that you just attach physically to the AVR.

About the Yamaha though, how would a person send music via wifi from laptop to the Yamaha? I don't have any experience in such audio gear, although I am very familiar with computers and to some extent routers. I'm probably more erring on the side of wanting a DAP to physically connect via Line Out to the AVR.
Both the Airlino and the Yamaha are controlled through an app. These apps are fairly easy to use, so I think your parents would manage easily. That being said, the Echo is a lot cheaper, especially if they’ve already got Prime.

I you’re insisting on a DAP-like solution, the Bluesound Vault, which will rip CDs to an internal hard disk is a neat device. It’s far from cheap though.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Both the Airlino and the Yamaha are controlled through an app. These apps are fairly easy to use, so I think your parents would manage easily. That being said, the Echo is a lot cheaper, especially if they’ve already got Prime.

I you’re insisting on a DAP-like solution, the Bluesound Vault, which will rip CDs to an internal hard disk is a neat device. It’s far from cheap though.
I've already gone for the Echo Dot for them, plenty good enough & very flexible, I reckon they're gonna be amazed by it!

Thinking about it, the way I listen to music is quite old fashioned. I buy CD's and rip them for lossless sound quality, and also buy the odd iTunes song sometimes, but I don't have any streaming capabilities yet.....something to consider for the future, so your Bluesound Vault link could come in useful for me sometime.

EDIT: @Cahudson42 , Out of curiosity, do you know the bit rate that the Echo Dot streams at for the music, is the music on Amazon 128mbps or 256mbps or what? I'm sure it probably won't matter to them much, but I can certainly notice less quality when I play 128mbps iTunes stuff (I don't play 128mbps anymore).

StefaanE

Forum Donor
I've already gone for the Echo Dot for them, plenty good enough & very flexible, I reckon they're gonna be amazed by it!
I think so too, it’s easy to use and they’ll be totally happy with the sound quality — ears don’t get better with age (speaking from experience here ;))

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Plus, assuming your parents have iPlayer on their phones, they should be able to cast audio to the Echo, and easily listen to Boris during PMQ each Wednesday..:)

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Plus, assuming your parents have iPlayer on their phones, they should be able to cast audio to the Echo, and easily listen to Boris during PMQ each Wednesday..:)
(shudders) Don’t send them to an early grave!

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol, yeah, I'm sure I've caught them watching that on BBC Parliament before!

Colonel7

Thinking about it, the way I listen to music is quite old fashioned. I buy CD's and rip them for lossless sound quality, and also buy the odd iTunes song sometimes, but I don't have any streaming capabilities yet.....something to consider for the future, so your Bluesound Vault link could come in useful for me sometime.

EDIT: @Cahudson42 , Out of curiosity, do you know the bit rate that the Echo Dot streams at for the music, is the music on Amazon 128mbps or 256mbps or what? I'm sure it probably won't matter to them much, but I can certainly notice less quality when I play 128mbps iTunes stuff (I don't play 128mbps anymore).
I use this setup in a bedroom and did similar for my mother as she aged. Something to consider is using the dot's bluetooth connection rather than a line in/3.5mm jack. Using bluetooth allows placement of the dot near where they sit or congregate. With the line in the dot can be close to the speakers, and if it's loud then they might get frustrated having to shout at Alexa or fiddling with an app or volume pot. This would entail getting a Taotronics or similar that runs $25-35 if the receiver doesn't have bluetooth.

Guermantes

I use an AVR for music listening in the lounge. Here are the methods I use with a comment about ease of use:
  • Raspberry Pi + Moode software + USB DAC + 3 TB hard disk: controlled via web browser on phone/tablet/computer - somewhat complicated but best for "Hi-Fi". Generally 2-channel only but can upmix with AVR algorithms. Other family members find this method inscrutable.
  • Odroid C2 + Kodi software + 2 TB hard disk: connected via HDMI to AVR and controlled with GUI on TV using TV remote. Can play multi-channel movies and music. Fairly easy and used by other family members.
  • Chromecast: streamed from phone storage or internet (Amazon and Spotify). Connected via HDMI. Fairly easy and often used by family.
  • CD and Blu-Ray Players (the Blu-Ray can also play music off USB stick). The Blu-Ray can do multi-channel music from optical media. Fairly easy but depends on media.
I also have a Fiio DAP with line out and coaxial SPDIF out, but I use this mainly with a headphone amplifier for bedside listening or travelling to work. I also have a dedicated iPod dock for the AVR which I used with an iPod Classic but this has been retired.

My wife is not interested in smart speakers from Google, Amazon, Apple, etc.. She is convinced that they are too invasive of privacy. We have an old bluetooth speaker in the kitchen for streaming from our mobiles.

My five year old son loves CDs but also likes the big TV display of artwork and track details you get with the Chromecast and Kodi playback. Kodi even has an add-on for lyrics which has been fun for Christmas songs.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use this setup in a bedroom and did similar for my mother as she aged. Something to consider is using the dot's bluetooth connection rather than a line in/3.5mm jack. Using bluetooth allows placement of the dot near where they sit or congregate. With the line in the dot can be close to the speakers, and if it's loud then they might get frustrated having to shout at Alexa or fiddling with an app or volume pot. This would entail getting a Taotronics or similar that runs $25-35 if the receiver doesn't have bluetooth.
Good tip, thanks. I'll try the cabled connection first, and if it's problematical for the reasons you mention then that's a good idea you've got there.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use an AVR for music listening in the lounge. Here are the methods I use with a comment about ease of use:
  • Raspberry Pi + Moode software + USB DAC + 3 TB hard disk: controlled via web browser on phone/tablet/computer - somewhat complicated but best for "Hi-Fi". Generally 2-channel only but can upmix with AVR algorithms. Other family members find this method inscrutable.
  • Odroid C2 + Kodi software + 2 TB hard disk: connected via HDMI to AVR and controlled with GUI on TV using TV remote. Can play multi-channel movies and music. Fairly easy and used by other family members.
  • Chromecast: streamed from phone storage or internet (Amazon and Spotify). Connected via HDMI. Fairly easy and often used by family.
  • CD and Blu-Ray Players (the Blu-Ray can also play music off USB stick). The Blu-Ray can do multi-channel music from optical media. Fairly easy but depends on media.
I also have a Fiio DAP with line out and coaxial SPDIF out, but I use this mainly with a headphone amplifier for bedside listening or travelling to work. I also have a dedicated iPod dock for the AVR which I used with an iPod Classic but this has been retired.

My wife is not interested in smart speakers from Google, Amazon, Apple, etc.. She is convinced that they are too invasive of privacy. We have an old bluetooth speaker in the kitchen for streaming from our mobiles.

My five year old son loves CDs but also likes the big TV display of artwork and track details you get with the Chromecast and Kodi playback. Kodi even has an add-on for lyrics which has been fun for Christmas songs.
Good to hear your experiences in this area, it's an area I know little about, so this could be useful for me in the future if I want explore more "ergonomic" music/media experience. I like the idea of the cheap Android device (Odroid C2) that seems configurable as a way of hosting/playing music, same for the Rasberry Pi....so stuff for me to Google there. At the moment for me personally I rely on ITunes on a laptop underneath my TV on the floor which is connected to the same JBL 308p speakers that my TV uses (via a manual switch)....a smaller less invasive player rather than my laptop might be a good option for playback, although I do really like EqualiserAPO for my laptop/PC, I'm quite big on EQ (RoomEQ / Anechoic Speaker EQ) so that would have to come into play somehow.

Top Bottom