• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mcintosh: the looks

rman9

I was of the camp, Mcintosh is not very appealing looks and doesn't do it for me.. Never had seen one in person until recently.. Now that I discovered a local high end store, and ended up getting the C53 and MC462 I have flipped.. I think they are beautiful, and I love how the combo sounds compared to the P6/A21+ parasound that I have.. Do I need to be run out of town for liking the looks of the Mcintosh? Do people think the blue glow is gimmicky? I love them..

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Do I need to be run out of town for liking the looks of the Mcintosh?
I had never heard of McIntosh until fairly recently. When I first saw pictures of some of their gear I honestly thought they were a joke someone had made in Photoshop. I'm still still not 100% sure I believe someone could design something that ugly and actually succeed in selling it ...

OP
R

rman9

I had never heard of McIntosh until fairly recently. When I first saw pictures of some of their gear I honestly thought they were a joke someone had made in Photoshop. I'm still still not 100% sure I believe someone could design something that ugly and actually succeed in selling it ...
That's what I had been thinking all these years, until I saw them in person.. Now I am hooked :(

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always kinda like the McIntosh looks. However I'll say the I prefer the looks of the older models going back to '70s. One notable esthetic aspect of the era was the all-silver knob whereas by the '90 'till today knobs have black centers with silver surrounds.

Mac C28 preamp, (1970-78)...
McIntosh-C28.jpg

Mac MC2505 amp, (1967-77) ...
3071370-a8655424-mcintosh-mc2505.jpg

3125b

Major Contributor
They should sound resonably transparent, the manufacturer specifies essentially flat FR, 122db SNR and -86dB THD for the MC462. And with 450W per channel it will be plenty powerful.

I too think that it looks rather ... tacky. However not necessarily in a bad way - not like some of the supposed "high-end" products with cheap, generic cases.
Instead it features some very detailed case work, but for me personally, less would be more in that regard.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rose Gold is where it's at

Reactions: GDK

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They should sound resonably transparent, the manufacturer specifies essentially flat FR, 122db SNR and -86dB THD for the MC462. And with 450W per channel it will be plenty powerful.

I too think that it looks rather ... tacky. However not necessarily in a bad way - not like some of the supposed "high-end" products with cheap, generic cases.
Instead it features some very detailed case work, but for me personally, less would be more in that regard.
It's a little hard to fully appreciate the McIntosh looks from a photograph. Much of the charm comes from the black glass face with see-through back-lit lettering; in subdued lighting the effect is magnificent. The only well known brand that uses this approach is McIntosh.

3071370-a8655424-mcintosh-mc2505.jpg

mc312-hero.ashx

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I owned a few Mcintosh devices in the 1980s. What made the reputation of this brand in the first place were their tube amplifiers. I had 2 mono which came from the Radio-Canada station (for their studios).

Then Mcintosh integrated an output with transformers for the models with transistors. With gain control when the amplifier was close to cliping.

In short, I liked their devices, now they have become too expensive, and you can get close or better performance for less money.

On the other hand, their looks remain their trademarks, but behind this look, there is construction and robustness at the highest level.

OP
R

rman9

I owned a few Mcintosh devices in the 1980s. What made the reputation of this brand in the first place were their tube amplifiers. I had 2 mono which came from the Radio-Canada station (for their studios).

Then Mcintosh integrated an output with transformers for the models with transistors. With gain control when the amplifier was close to cliping.

In short, I liked their devices, now they have become too expensive, and you can get close or better performance for less money.

On the other hand, their looks remain their trademarks, but behind this look, there is construction and robustness at the highest level.
I am truly happy with the C53 and the MC462. When I listen to some of the symphonies, it feels like the orchestra is in the room.. It handles it very robustly.. And the looks are a acquired taste now.. put a hole in the bank account. But this is hopefully to enjoy for decades to come..

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Styling is a matter of taste. McIntosh's look is an evolution of their older equipment and certainly has a retro appeal.

I have a big (200 wpc into any impedance) integrated amp from the 2000 period and it still looks awesome with the room lights out. I actually use the meters constantly when listening.) People can debate if it sounds better than other equipment. I did extensive testing and became convinced the Mac audibly outperformed a comparable Krell. Technical this and blah blah that. I do believe it pumps out above its rated specs effortlessly for hours (verified by a bass-heavy disco party) with no audible distortion. The initial price is high but mine is worth exactly what I paid for it and I could sell it tomorrow - but couldn't buy anything to replace it other than another Mac. (Someone care to prove me wrong?)

So, don't let the h8trs grind you down - it's legit.

OP
R

rman9

Styling is a matter of taste. McIntosh's look is an evolution of their older equipment and certainly has a retro appeal.

I have a big (200 wpc into any impedance) integrated amp from the 2000 period and it still looks awesome with the room lights out. I actually use the meters constantly when listening.) People can debate if it sounds better than other equipment. I did extensive testing and became convinced the Mac audibly outperformed a comparable Krell. Technical this and blah blah that. I do believe it pumps out above its rated specs effortlessly for hours (verified by a bass-heavy disco party) with no audible distortion. The initial price is high but mine is worth exactly what I paid for it and I could sell it tomorrow - but couldn't buy anything to replace it other than another Mac. (Someone care to prove me wrong?)

I have been comparing the P6/A21+ combo driving the B&W 805 Nautilus, with the C53/462 combo driving Joseph Audio RM22Si side by side, with one single source. The Mcintosh is so much more lively and just grabs me. I thought the world of the Parasound which was a step up from the nakamichi/pioneer elite combo. But the Mc rules.. I hope I live enough to enjoy, the time it took me financially to get them.. Now if I can only get the right streamer to go with it.. I am struggling with what to get..

OP
R

rman9

I like the word h8trs :)

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been comparing the P6/A21+ combo driving the B&W 805 Nautilus, with the C53/462 combo driving Joseph Audio RM22Si side by side, with one single source. The Mcintosh is so much more lively and just grabs me. I thought the world of the Parasound which was a step up from the nakamichi/pioneer elite combo. But the Mc rules.. I hope I live enough to enjoy, the time it took me financially to get them.. Now if I can only get the right streamer to go with it.. I am struggling with what to get..
Now you spent the $$ on your amp you can save a lot of money - get a Chromecast Audio on Ebay for $100 and run the whole thing on wifi off your smartphone. Done!

Top Bottom