• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What happens when a speaker has a DAC?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking at purchasing the Audioengine A2+

It says it has a 16-bit DAC inside. Can anyone help me understand how that works?

Would it be correct to assume that if I use Bluetooth it would use the DAC and if I hardwired it would bypass the DAC? Otherwise the signal would pass through a high quality DAC, then be put through the speaker's 16 bit DAC? That doesn't sound right.

Can anyone shed some light on the signal logistics?

Thanks!

milan616

Forum Donor
USB and BT should use the DAC, analog in should bypass.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but the A2+ kinda suck. I purchased and returned them ~1 year ago because I wanted budget wireless speakers. They don't get very loud before distortion, and failed to adequately fill a small office with sound. You will need a subwoofer for decent bass as well. If you can scrap together an extra $100 go with the Vanatoo Transparent Zero - they are a massive upgrade.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but the A2+ kinda suck. I purchased and returned them ~1 year ago because I wanted budget wireless speakers. They don't get very loud before distortion, and failed to adequately fill a small office with sound. You will need a subwoofer for decent bass as well. If you can scrap together an extra $100 go with the Vanatoo Transparent Zero - they are a massive upgrade.
Did you try to EQ them along the lines of amir's suggestions for the a5 Plus and using a hightg quality DAC? I'm looking for a pair of white very small speakers for the nightstands of my bedroom... Critical listening not required.. more like billiards night with the kids to Don't Start Now...lol.

The only other speakers in the ballpark with some sort of Amir review are the Fostex PMO.3

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you try to EQ them along the lines of amir's suggestions for the a5 Plus and using a powerful enough DAC and amp? I'm looking for a pair of white very small speakers for the nightstands of my bedroom... Critical listening not required.. more like billiards night with the kids to Don't Start Now...lol.

The only other speakers in the ballpark with some sort of Amir review are the Fostex PMO.3
Negative - I didn't even know what EQ really was back then before I joined ASR :)
They are very very small so if space is an issue they make sense, but expect to pay a penalty in loudness and lack of bass. They certainly won't do Dua justice.

Edit: Just throwing out an idea...what about the HomePod? I have no clue how it sounds, but it comes in white.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How does a dac become "powerful"?

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Negative - I didn't even know what EQ really was back then before I joined ASR :)
They are very very small so if space is an issue they make sense, but expect to pay a penalty in loudness and lack of bass. They certainly won't do Dua justice.
Yes space is at a premium.. 6x4 is highly compelling on nightstands on either side of the bed. :)

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For casual listening over Bluetooth, have you considered JBL portables? They're not particularly accurate, but they generate significant volume (bass, even) from a small form factor.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes space is at a premium.. 6x4 is highly compelling on nightstands on either side of the bed. :)
Have you considered the Google Nest Audio? It fits your size parameters and background listening use case. Good spin for the price too as measured by @napilopez here. $99 per or $20 off for 2. Guessing you can make them play stereo as an option

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More detail:

The original idea was to use either hard wired phone to E30 (or) phone to hard wired Sonata HD Pro to L30 to powered speakers.

Alternatively, phone to Qudelix 5k BT to L30 to powered speakers.

Open to all ideas though.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But also be interested in if anyone wanted to stand up for the audioengine A2+ or Fostex PMO.3

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listened to them both side by side and subjectively I prefer the Audioengine A2+ to the Fostex PMO.3. I used Amir's EQ for both. A2+ had more bass and better mids. Fostex was brighter and thinner but not terrible by any means.

Dua sounds terrific and they look great in white. :)

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audioengine A2+ a nice fit for nightstand set up :)

Attachments

• Nightstand.JPG
    Nightstand.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 202
OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had a complete change of heart. For $290 after taxes...this was a bad investment...bound for landfill. I even tried the HD3...bad. Returned them all. Considered Vanatoo or iLoud.

Bucked up for something that could last 15 years or more (hopefully). German built Eve Audio SC203. I had great success with the German built RME ADI-2 DAC.

tili

I listened to them both side by side and subjectively I prefer the Audioengine A2+ to the Fostex PMO.3. I used Amir's EQ for both. A2+ had more bass and better mids. Fostex was brighter and thinner but not terrible by any means.

Dua sounds terrific and they look great in white. :)
does amir have EQ settings for A2+?

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, just the larger one. I never got mine to sound very good. Tried Eve Audio. Eventually bought the micro monitors on sale for $199 and they sound good.

carewser

I really wanted a pair of A2+ as well but I just couldn't justify $400/pair Canadian for a pair of 30 watt satellite speakers that only go down to 65hz so I waited and found a mint used pair of A5+ speakers for a lot less but being the basshead I am even the A5+ didn't provide me with the bass I needed so I also bought Audioengine's subwoofer for full price

As far as DAC's go, all I know about them is, they stand for digital to analog converter and I know at least one pair of my many pairs of speakers have a DAC built in

Last edited:
Top Bottom