• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Twinster

Got mine a few days ago now and serial # is 2101xxxxxx. Haven't open the back yet to see if the ESD is fixed. My exchange came from Aoshida HiFi-CA (from Amazon.ca) and they were great and very fast.

Regarding my defective unit, not sure if other has got the same problem, the left channel went dead with some faint sporadic static noise. Is that what people experience with their L30?

Twinster

I know it's been mentioned a few time but without any real answer from Amir @amirm.2 .The fact that the grounding of the mainboard changed since the initial measurements, I do believe it would be fair to get another test run on the updated L30. POWER (that include the ground) is what create the signal that generate music.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Got mine a few days ago now and serial # is 2101xxxxxx. Haven't open the back yet to see if the ESD is fixed. My exchange came from Aoshida HiFi-CA (from Amazon.ca) and they were great and very fast.

Regarding my defective unit, not sure if other has got the same problem, the left channel went dead with some faint sporadic static noise. Is that what people experience with their L30?

ALL 2101 and higher have both fixes with 100% certainty. No need to check this.
However, some folks would like to see how the fix is done in serial production. One can remove the backplate and post pictures of the pin that makes contact with the rear panel.

I know it's been mentioned a few time but without any real answer from Amir @amirm.2 .The fact that the grounding of the mainboard changed since the initial measurements, I do believe it would be fair to get another test run on the updated L30. POWER (that include the ground) is what create the signal that generate music.

There is NO change in the audio circuit (acc. to the manufacturer) and the grounding of the enclosure would not affect output power at all.

However, something that stands out is that most folks notice the new versions become less 'warm'. I don't think this is by chance. Maybe something did change but probably won't affect performance. @JohnYang1997 may be able to say something about this.

There should be some connection from the pcb to the case (connecting ground to the aluminium case).

For 2012 versions there is NO need to remove the board to check for the ESD fix. Only the rear panel (4 screws) need to be removed. When you have a multimeter it is even easier to check.

Last edited:

Twinster

ALL 2101 and higher have both fixes with 100% certainty. No need to check this.
However, some folks would like to see how the fix is done in serial production. One can remove the backplate and post pictures of the pin that makes contact with the rear panel.

There is NO change in the audio circuit (acc. to the manufacturer) and the grounding of the enclosure would not affect output power at all.

However, something that stands out is that most folks notice the new versions become less 'warm'. I don't think this is by chance. Maybe something did change but probably won't affect performance. @JohnYang1997 may be able to say something about this.

For 2012 versions there is NO need to remove the board to check for the ESD fix. Only the rear panel (4 screws) need to be removed. When you have a multimeter it is even easier to check.

Mine still pretty warm, same as the previous as far as I remember. But again it's sitting on top on my Burson Fun. Not going to open it up, would not want to void the warranty. Thank s for the reply.

ngs428

I don’t notice any temp change in my new 2012 vs my old. Still is warm to the touch when in use. It is stacked on top of my E30.

Also, no issues with my volume knob either. Old and new were the same and just fine. Smooth as silk...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That's good to hear. Means there aren't any changes other than the DC protection (PCB + firmware change) and ESD measure (pogo pin).
No need to have it re-measured either.

bokolobs

All the 2012xx serial number L30s have the DC offset protection fix. ~90% of them have the extra contact for improved ESD protection. So far as I know that can't be checked by serial number. If you have a multimeter you can check continuity between the exposed contact of the RCA and the mounting screw at the side of the back panel. If not you can remove the back panel and check for the gold sprung 'pogo pin' contact near the edge of the board, as seen in the photo in this post. If the contact is there then all is good. If there is no sprung contact, or no continuity, then you should arrange for a replacement with your supplier if you don't want to take the diy grounding approach..
Thanks! Mine is arriving today.

dgnzcn

I don’t notice any temp change in my new 2012 vs my old. Still is warm to the touch when in use. It is stacked on top of my E30.

Also, no issues with my volume knob either. Old and new were the same and just fine. Smooth as silk...

Does it printed 2012+ on the morhetboard plate?

Last edited:

dgnzcn

Great for you, but aliexpress seller of Shenzhenaudio Store said to me yesterday, it was starting from similar 2012xxxxxx nor 2101xxxxxx i am confused now,
Did you check does it printed 2101xxx on the morhetboard plate?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My new l30 volume knob is also a bit weird from about 0% to 25% and 75% to 100%. I think it gets too close to the case and is scraping against something.....

The knob is friction fit to the shaft. As long as you are careful it should be fine to pull it out just a bit so that it no longer scrapes. Mine were tight but could be pulled forward with some pressure.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My 2012+ L30, which was one of the 10% lacking the pin grounding fix failed last week, apparently due to ESD. My attached headphones were not affected, so that fix worked.

Both John Yang and my vendor HiFiCollege.net responded very quickly, and probably because I had a previous failure, HiFi College offered a refund. I have been extremely impressed by both John and HiFi College through all of this. HiFi College in particular went out of their way to communicate rapidly, provide me with good options, and follow up through a couple of L30 exchanges.

It may be that my environment is unusually susceptible to ESD problems, but in any case I strongly suggest that those with serials before 2012 or 2012s without the ground fix exchange them ASAP. I have seen nothing to indicate that L30s with both fixes have any issues.

Tortie

Forum Donor
@GGroch don't be so quick to give John a pat on the back and an 'attaboy'. He downplayed, and still downplays, the initial issues with the L30 that cropped up last Fall. Here we are in March with and the L30 is still problem plagued.

Veri

Master Contributor
Here we are in March with and the L30 is still problem plagued.
Only because a small number (10% has been said) is missing a design change that was later added. And GGroch got his refund. Headphones can no longer be damaged in any case. That would get a passing grade for damage control in my book.

bokolobs

Does it printed 2012+ on the morhetboard plate?
I haven't opened mine yet. I just got it a couple of hours ago. Kudos to Topping and their third-party seller in China! I live in southeast Asia and had to pay for shipping of the replacement. But that's still excellent service!

To be honest though, I'm a bit turned off by the whole ordeal. I ordered the JDS Labs El Stack II after learning about the ESD issue. It's supposed to arrive next week. I've been eyeing that stack before I pulled the trigger on the Topping E30/L30 stack last year. From Amir's reviews, the Topping stack seems to be the better stack, if I'm reading the numbers correctly. I'm using the Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber stack in the meantime. This stack is audibly much worse than the Topping, but I don't feel comfortable using the L30 right now. And I really don't feel like opening the back plate. That's why I asked if we can determine if both fixes are installed by just looking at the serial number.

So I just don't know. The El Stack will be on my desk when it comes. I might move the Topping stack to my seldom used headphone listening corner, replacing the Schiit stack, if I can muster the energy to open the back plate or the courage to just say, duck it. I'm using the E30 as the DAC in my living room setup so I'm in no hurry. Excellent DAC, this one.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Only because a small number (10% has been said) is missing a design change that was later added. And GGroch got his refund. Headphones can no longer be damaged in any case. That would get a passing grade for damage control in my book.

10% is a statistically significant number. Why are they missing the design change?

UPDATE: I have since purchased an Atom Amp from JDS Labs in February. It's an excellent sounding product, ranks 7th on Amir's SINAND + Power rankings, and makes my HD650 sound better than it's ever sounded before. Previously I had a Magni 3 and an Asgard 3. The Atom is better than both of them. No reason to roll the dice on the problem plagued L30 when a solid alternative is available from a reputable USA company.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
10% is a statistically significant number. Why are they missing the design change?
They started retrofitting finished units with one fix, and then another was added. So they didn't retro-retrofit the v1 fixed units with the second enhancement. Something like that.

Bsdzilla

Improving the the DC-protection without changing the audio circuit would be a tall order. But it all depends on what they mean by "audio circuit". They could be meaning "signal path".

bokolobs

Please find attached my just received replacement L30 serial 2012 (next digit 6). I see no grounding wire.
View attachment 110599

With the back plate on, when tested with a multi-meter there is no continuity between either of the 2 rear chassis screws and the -(Ground) conductor on the R/L inputs or outputs. However, there is continuity between the 2 rear chassis screws and the 2 rear RCA Input and Output screws (white sockets with screws removed in photo). I checked my defaced but functional L30 Serial 2007 and there is no continuity with the RCA screws on that one.

It is certainly possible that this difference is random chance due to differences in back panel paint.
Your unit failed right? Mine also has a 6 after 2012, so yikes for me?

Top Bottom