• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Visit to Mike Lavigne's Home and Sound Galleries Media Server

fas42

Major Contributor
So when you hear those extra details, you find it more interesting and less boring?

Okay, sure -- but I don't find that surprising or revelatory. After all, that's why people spend money on good audio.
Yes, not surprising at all - but there are grades of good audio, and I've found that with the better ones the most 'mundane' music is emotionally as well as intellectually satisfying - you feel a good vibe from the listening, rather than just thinking, "that's interesting ...".

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Still the problem with the audio world is that a typical rig can't do "big sound". Either they do a mild mannered Clark Kent; or if they burst out in full Superman kit, they don't leap tall buildings in a single bound, they blunder into them, smashing glass and launching bricks and debris in all directions - when "difficult" recordings can be disposed off with ease, are a joy to listen to ... then, 'proper' audio might start getting more popular ...
A typical rig in the 70’s was a pair of 15 inch bass drivers and some decent Japanese amplification.. well in our house and bobs house, Jeff down the road and even grace the spinster had a couple of 10 inch based boxes with big horns.. :D

A typical rig now is a sound bar ...,Well maybe not in LA lol

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The revolution in Audio of the last 20 years imo has been software, CAD software first and DSP software in the last 10 years.

Over The next 10 years it will be the application of our knowledge of psychoacoustics via DSP . It will be accessible and there will be no need to buy anything resembling a traditional hifi or indeed spend any more than a months (or two) salary , plus streaming audio at lossless bit rates and higher. I know that’s happening now but there’s more to come.

DSP is a revolution , not having to buy records is a revolution.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I noticed in the OP the cable floor stand-offs. I trust they were for making floor cleaning easier.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Mike's rig might be a bit vulgar, but in a lot of it at least you can seen the value, the gear that obviously took a lot (was expensive to build). Sort of along the lines of custom cars or restorations, you can see where the money goes. So if you got it, I see no real problem spending it there.
Want to talk about things that rich folks spend money (collect) on? How about art, fortunes are spent on paintings, etc; that look like they could have been done by kindergarten kids with water colors. Or the Picasso stuff that looks like it was done on a bad (or good) acid trip. And because some freak somewhere see's some kind of inner vision in the artists mind, the dollar value of a few cents in supplies turns into a multi million dollar wall hanging. You look at stuff done by the Michelangelo's and anyone can see the talent, but so much in the art world makes the snake-oil peddling in audio look like a flea on a elephants ass in comparison. :D

Wombat

Master Contributor
Mike's rig might be a bit vulgar, but in a lot of it at least you can seen the value, the gear that obviously took a lot (was expensive to build). Sort of along the lines of custom cars or restorations, you can see where the money goes. So if you got it, I see no real problem spending it there.
Want to talk about things that rich folks spend money (collect) on? How about art, fortunes are spent on paintings, etc; that look like they could have been done by kindergarten kids with water colors. Or the Picasso stuff that looks like it was done on a bad (or good) acid trip. And because some freak somewhere see's some kind of inner vision in the artists mind, the dollar value of a few cents in supplies turns into a multi million dollar wall hanging. You look at stuff done by the Michelangelo's and anyone can see the talent, but so much in the art world makes the snake-oil peddling in audio look like a flea on a elephants ass in comparison. :D

The art world is about financial investment and driven by the fact, usually, that dead men don't produce new works. Unlike most audio stuff, popular art can appreciate significantly. There is a lot of bullshit in the art world so there is some relevance in your analogy. :rolleyes:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

You must be thinking of things like Koon's balloon dog in orange. Sold for more than $58 million a few years back. And it isn't unique. There are several identical ones in differing colors. Some of his 'art' isn't this good. Much of it isn't even made by his hand. He comes up with the 'concept' and talented artist assistants make them (for paltry pay).

ap080529037824.jpg

And who could forget one of his high points. Michael Jackson by Koons. Sold for only $5.6 million a few years ago. Would be much more expensive now that Jackson is deceased.
Jeff_Koons_Michael_Jackson_and_Bubbles.jpg

Or this truly incredible work. Speaks for itself don't you think? Play-Doh. That is Koons on the left.

b14aeef3-795d-4d7c-bd83-78beb6f6dde8-2060x1236.jpeg

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or perhaps Sal had Mark Rothko in mind. There is this stunning work that sold for more than $75 million. Would bring more now.
Royal Red and Blue.

top20_most_expansive_paintings_01.jpg

Just to show he isn't a one trick pony here is another highly valuable example from 1957. Also worth millions.

Rothko-Untitled-1957.jpg

A year later, 1958, he was able with much inspiration to have dividing lines go vertical.

T01031_10.jpg

He has inspired others. Like this $1.1 million Gerhardt Richter work Blood Red Mirror.

modern_art_sold_for_bank_2.jpg

Barnett Newman put a little more effort in his Onement Vi which is why it sold for near $44 million.

modern_art_sold_for_bank_18.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like some contemporary art, but I am with you on Koons and have similar feelings about Damien Hirst.
Isn't he the guy who put the shark in the big cube of clear epoxy?

Hey, I like art too even modern art. This stuff isn't art. Well maybe the art of BS to get people to buy such things.

Bonus Barnett Newman. $105.7 million for this Anna's light.
modern_art_sold_for_bank_16.jpg

Which put it ahead of Mark Rothko's $86.9 million orange, red and yellow. See it pays to color inside the lines.

modern_art_sold_for_bank_13.jpg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You must be thinking of things like Koon's balloon dog in orange. Sold for more than $58 million a few years back. And it isn't unique. There are several identical ones in differing colors. Some of his 'art' isn't this good. Much of it isn't even made by his hand. He comes up with the 'concept' and talented artist assistants make them (for paltry pay).

ap080529037824.jpg

And who could forget one of his high points. Michael Jackson by Koons. Sold for only $5.6 million a few years ago. Would be much more expensive now that Jackson is deceased.
Jeff_Koons_Michael_Jackson_and_Bubbles.jpg

Or this truly incredible work. Speaks for itself don't you think? Play-Doh. That is Koons on the left.

b14aeef3-795d-4d7c-bd83-78beb6f6dde8-2060x1236.jpeg
I’d pay 58 mil for a giant dog that don’t do no poo’s...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like Marcus Rothkowitz, to truly appreciate his work you must goto a exhibition as the effect is accumulative ..

It’s the tension in between...., ah never mind...

Seriously?? I'll accept that. I find it terribly hard to believe viewing these panels. I'll accept it though.

I like Impressionists. Their work can be appealing from photos and prints. They are on a whole different level in how they affect you in person. Same for sculptures of Rodin. Those seem almost like frozen emotion and life on a preternatural level. Even simple notebook pencil drawings I've seen exhibited of Da Vinci had some special glow in person that doesn't come across in reproduction. You almost hold your breath when you see it as if you expect it to move off the page any second.
Leonardo-da-Vinci---Drawings---Animals--Horse+Studies+1493.jpg

d0e2a6f42f9a77588d607f384738c41f.jpg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Seriously?? I'll accept that. I find it terribly hard to believe viewing these panels. I'll accept it though.

I like Impressionists. Their work can be appealing from photos and prints. They are on a whole different level in how they affect you in person. Same for sculptures of Rodin. Those seem almost like frozen emotion and life on a preternatural level. Even simple notebook pencil drawings I've seen exhibited of Da Vinci had some special glow in person that doesn't come across in reproduction. You almost hold your breath when you see it as if you expect it to move off the page any second.
Leonardo-da-Vinci---Drawings---Animals--Horse+Studies+1493.jpg
I was taking the piss with the “ the effect is accumulative “ as that’s always the Audio snake oil special but yes I do like his work and been to some well curated exhibitions of his stuff.

It’s not his fault people pay so much for his stuff ( he’s brown bread after all) , artists do what they do what value others find in their work monetarily or otherwise is nothing to do with them.

I’m a sucker for a well drawn horse too though :D ( been to exhibitions of his (Da Vinci) drawings and they are simply awe inspiring studies of form and anatomy) this will sound weird but I found it like seeing gods blue prints for life ( not that I belive in god but there you go)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

You've left out the scarcity component. Whether done by Michelangelo or Andy Warhol, there is only 1 of each work. They're not mass produced, which means the supply is constrained relative to the demand.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Isn't he the guy who put the shark in the big cube of clear epoxy?

Hey, I like art too even modern art. This stuff isn't art. Well maybe the art of BS to get people to buy such things.

Bonus Barnett Newman. $105.7 million for this Anna's light.
You know D, when I wrote that post I had no idea that the stuff you've put up even existed, let alone was marketed for that kind of money
That puts having more money than sense in a whole new light. I'm about as far from a snowflake as you can get, but when I think about those sums of money being wasted on crap like that, while people of the world are starving or in dire straights for one reason or another, it makes me want to puke. Consumerism and egos that have totally run off the tracks. :mad:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You've left out the scarcity component. Whether done by Michelangelo or Andy Warhol, there is only 1 of each work. They're not mass produced, which means the supply is constrained relative to the demand.
So is each one of my bowel movements. :eek:

Top Bottom