• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seeking recommendations: Best active speakers for $10k/pair? (Would also be offered for measurement.)

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think this is an acceptable excuse, and as a loudspeaker manufacturer, you're supposed to know that on-axis and horizontal off-axis is the most important and bare minimum.
I keep wondering why Magico and Wilson Audio don't address this. Obviously, they are selling fine without doing this. But I really wonder what they do when they develop and test speakers.

OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep wondering why Magico and Wilson Audio don't address this. Obviously, they are selling fine without doing this. But I really wonder what they do when they develop and test speakers.
Perhaps “The emperor has no clothes.”

HooStat

i would tell 2x8341+7370 or 2x8351 or 2x8361. 8361 are huge but you get used to it. the sub is changing the performance. I did try today in my room and I much prefer the first combination to the last one. I don’t have the 8351 so cannot tell. The sub also help smooth the in room response.

another point: with bass light music (Piano) I cannot tell the 8341 and 8361 apart Frustrating as it is. I pushed the volume to 100db+ and then of course the bigger one wins.
I think it would be of value to a lot of people if you would compare the 8341 + sub to the 8361 and gave your impressions of each. There is precious little out there on these. What kind of room are they in? How big to they look in real life (pictures)?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most audiophile customers obviously don't care about measurements, maybe because they don't know their specific meanings or more likely have accepted the motto of the audiophile press that numbers do not matter and subjective reviews and listening rules.

This is different for professional sound engineers. They need all those measurements as exemplary supplied by Neumann to find the best speaker for the task at hand - best meaning best match. If those measurements are missing for a speaker it'll probably be disregarded.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most audiophile customers obviously don't care about measurements, maybe because they don't know their specific meanings or more likely have accepted the motto of the audiophile press that numbers do not matter and subjective reviews and listening rules.

This is different for professional sound engineers. They need all those measurements as exemplary supplied by Neumann to find the best speaker for the task at hand - best meaning best match. If those measurements are missing for a speaker it'll probably be disregarded.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's actually as true as it should be.

Too few studio monitor companies provide comprehensive measurements. Neumann and Genelec actually seem to be the exception. Sure, you'll get a single on-axis graph with many studio monitors, which is better than nothing, but they're often smoothed to oblivion (see Presonus review) and there will be little to no information on directivity(again, see presonus), which in my book makes them all but irrelevant. Even in the pro world, it seems people would rather rely on hearsay, marketing, and subjective impressions...

Even with JBL Pro, you usually can't find the graphs right on its site. And personally, I'd like more information than a spin provides for pro usage, which is often more nearfield.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's actually as true as it should be.

Too few studio monitor companies provide comprehensive measurements. Neumann and Genelec actually seem to be the exception. Sure, you'll get a single on-axis graph with many studio monitors, which is better than nothing, but they're often smoothed to oblivion (see Presonus review) and there will be little to no information on directivity(again, see presonus), which in my book makes them all but irrelevant. Even in the pro world, it seems people would rather rely on hearsay, marketing, and subjective impressions...

Even with JBL Pro, you usually can't find the graphs right on its site. And personally, I'd like more information than a spin provides for pro usage, which is often more nearfield.
I explicitely mentioned sound engineers, not musicians or mixing/mastering engineers. I mean pros who design studios, not those working in studios.

EDIT: And I think Genelec sells so many speakers to the pros despite their high prices not only due to their quality but also because they supply the numbers showing these qualities.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I explicitely mentioned sound engineers, not musicians or mixing/mastering engineers. I mean pros who design studios, not those working in studios.

I misunderstood then. In my lexicon a sound engineer includes mixing and mastering engineers, while what you describe is more of an acoustician.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Congratulations

Senior NEET Engineer

Curious if these will be enough SPL. The 8341A ran out of steam from 3 ft listening distance.

aarons915

Forum Donor
Curious if these will be enough SPL. The 8341A ran out of steam from 3 ft listening distance.

I really wonder how loud this was because their specs claim long term max SPL is 101 db at 1 meter limited by the driver protection circuit. I think that is loud enough for the vast majority of people and the 8351 plays louder.

matt3421

the 8331 is able to stay within (sound and recording's) THD limits up to 91db at 1 meter. can't imagine the 8351B not being loud enough.

ReaderZ

I really wonder how loud this was because their specs claim long term max SPL is 101 db at 1 meter limited by the driver protection circuit. I think that is loud enough for the vast majority of people and the 8351 plays louder.

IMHO either broken pair or need to pay more attention to hearing loss instead of worrying about how loud speakers can go. 94db for more than 1 hour can start to cause permanent hearing loss.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This calculator claims that's the equivalent to 90 dB at 3.5m which is my distance to the speakers.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-distance.htm

That means that they'll play 70 dB average with 20 dB of headroom for transients, which is not loud at all.

ReaderZ

This calculator claims that's the equivalent to 90 dB at 3.5m which is my distance to the speakers.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-distance.htm

That means that they'll play 70 dB average with 20 dB of headroom for transients, which is not loud at all.

He says long term is 101 not peak at 101 that's different. Also it was reply to someone who listening at 3 feet not 3M.

Edit: Full list of all Genelec mode's long term and short term SPL at different distance can be found here

https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors

Last edited:
Top Bottom