• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

maty

Major Contributor
Deaths by coronavirus in Spain every day.

covid-19-spain-muertos-diarios--05042020.png

maty

Major Contributor
El Gobierno [España] planea separar a las personas positivas sin síntomas en hoteles
[Spanish] https://www.elperiodico.com/es/poli...virus-reunion-presidentes-autonomicos-7918038

Government [Spain] plans to separate positive people without symptoms in hotels
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.elperiodico.com/es/politica/20200405/sanchez-coronavirus-reunion-presidentes-autonomicos-7918038

[ Pedro Sánchez has asked the presidents of the autonomous communities that before next Friday, the 10th, provide him with a list of public and private infrastructures that can be equipped to accommodate people who test positive in the rapid tests, but who do not have symptom. The Prime Minister is currently holding a meeting with the heads of the regional executives by videoconference. According to sources who are attending this meeting, Sánchez explained to them that, in the transition phase until returning to normal, experts advise the Government that these asymptomatic patients be separated from their families to avoid infections.

La Moncloa is thinking that these people are housed in hotels, congress palaces, sports centers and hostels that can provide hygiene and comfort conditions to live a few days, until they give negative. For this you will need millions of quick tests that you do not yet have... ]

Like China and its Noah's coffers.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
We'll adapt, just like virus, we always do. And there will always be a new equilibrium. And if it's painful, that's because we made bad decisions in the past. We'll learn and we'll make it.
It comes down to who adapts the best and the quickest.

I'm not sure that's going to be the more self-indulgent societies personally.

gikigill

It comes down to who adapts the best and the quickest.

I'm not sure that's going to be the more self-indulgent societies personally.

Exactly, survival of the fittest is not about strength, its about adaptability and change.

Our thumbs and brains are better adapted and hence we can go the moon while our primate cousins cannot.

maty

Major Contributor
Putting on and taking off the mask without contaminating it

Well, before I take mask off I wash my gloves with bleach+water. I take off my mask. I wash again with bleach+water. I take off my gloves. I wash my hands with soap.

In addition to being hung, I use the sun. The next time, bake at 75º but this time 30 minutes. On baking paper. Then the oven, without the mask, at 200 ºC to insure. I take advantage of an old portable electric oven. Thus the large one of the kitchen is not necessary. Faster, less consumption and safer.

FFP3 (N96) maximum protection masks (98%) must not touch any metal part!

Tedious, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Exactly, survival of the fittest is not about strength, its about adaptability and change.
Our thumbs and brains are better adapted and hence we can go the moon while our primate cousins cannot.
That we know of... I'm thinking (just based on the look in their eyes) that there is a large orangutan intelligence organization keeping everything about their space program under wraps for now. ;)

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not going to happen. In the end, you go about your business and let the chips fall where they may. This isn't close to an existential crisis. It's bad. Our reaction to it looks worse. This more than ever makes me loath to listen to prescriptions of chicken little climate change people. And I fully know climate change is a real problem.
Please, no need to inject climate change into this thread.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the more frightening aspects of this episode has been the runs on grocery stores and empty shelves. For the most part, those have been temporary. Of course, that depends on both inventory at the wholesale level and continued production and logistics. As we enter the agricultural period in Florida and California, can anyone comment on the availability of seasonal workers to pick and process crops on time?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Panic buying has accelerated in our area. People are cleaning up grocery store shelves. Huge change from just a week ago. :(
Mercifully, if the supply chain still functions, that settles down after a couple of weeks. I hadnt seen toilet paper or pasta for a couple of weeks until today.

EDIT- realised this is replying to an old post. Hopefully you have TP and pasta now @amirm .

maty

Major Contributor
430,000 People Have Traveled From China to U.S. Since Coronavirus Surfaced
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/us/coronavirus-china-travel-restrictions.html

[ Since Chinese officials disclosed the outbreak of a mysterious pneumonialike illness to international health officials on New Year’s Eve, at least 430,000 people have arrived in the United States on direct flights from China, including nearly 40,000 in the two months after President Trump imposed restrictions on such travel, according to an analysis of data collected in both countries.

The bulk of the passengers, who were of multiple nationalities, arrived in January, at airports in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Seattle, Newark and Detroit. Thousands of them flew directly from Wuhan, the center of the coronavirus outbreak, as American public health officials were only beginning to assess the risks to the United States.

Flights continued this past week
, the data show, with passengers traveling from Beijing to Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York, under rules that exempt Americans and some others from the clampdown that took effect on Feb. 2. In all, 279 flights from China have arrived in the United States since then, and screening procedures have been uneven, interviews show... ]

maty

Major Contributor
Médicos de Salud Pública ven esencial fumigar las calles contra el virus
[Spanish] https://www.elperiodico.com/es/soci...al-fumigar-las-calles-contra-el-virus-7918037

Public Health doctors see it essential to spray the streets against the virus
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.elperiodico.com/es/sociedad/20200405/medicos-de-salud-publica-ven-esencial-fumigar-las-calles-contra-el-virus-7918037

[ Beware of the dogs

Another variable to take into account and reflected in this publication is that the virus will be more or less active depending on the temperature because its survival is longer in materials that are colder than hot.

Considering all these factors, Sainz points to the real possibility that dogs, during their walks, pick up "by dragging these microorganisms" and take them home , a risk that is however remote in the case of people "since it would be a coincidence that someone steps right where a coronavirus-infected person has spat or sneezed. "

For this reason and apart from the washes that the Army, the police and private companies are doing to decontaminate the streets of cities and municipalities, this doctor believes that pet owners should be required to clean the paws of their animals to avoid that the virus spreads to their homes... ]

[ Although the Covid-19 could remain in air suspension for two to three hours, according to some experts, cleaning is not done for this reason, they say, but because the greatest risk of contagion occurs when it is deposited on surfaces... ]

Shoe sole with bleach+water. Better the same shoes just to go outside, while the confinement.

It seems to me that public air conditioning and heat pump systems will have to be banned if specific filters are not installed.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
The situation in the Netherlands is improving. The daily mortality number is declining significantly, the number of new hospital admissions has declined even more, and the total number of people on ICUs has increased only a little bit. We are still well below the much increased ICU capacity.

maty

Major Contributor
http://nrg.cs.ucl.ac.uk/mjh/covid19/#covid-eu-norm

covid-19-Western-Europe-positives-04042020.png

Netherlands: 12.5 days behind Italy.

With those days of advantage, if governments did not take advantage of it, rulers would be committing criminal negligence.

I trust that the curve fall in Spain is more pronounced due to the strong restrictions on normality taken these days, unlike other countries. Starting tomorrow, a million fast tests will be distributed to all autonom communities. You can change / modify the strategy as soon as you know what percentage of the population already has antibodies.

Last edited:

Octopie

Not sure if this has been posted yet but 538 are statistics experts. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-case-counts-are-meaningless/

Some excerpts
A country where the case count is increasing because it’s doing more testing, for instance, might actually be getting its epidemic under control. Alternatively, in a country where the reported number of new cases is declining, the situation could actually be getting worse, either because its system is too overwhelmed to do adequate testing or because it’s ramping down on testing for PR reasons.

In fact, in some cases, places with lower nominal case counts may actually be worse off. In general, a high number of tests is associated with a more robust medical infrastructure and a more adept government response to the coronavirus. The countries that are doing a lot of testing also tend to have low fatality rates — not just low case fatality rates (how many people die as a fraction of known cases) but also lower rates of death as a share of the overall population. Germany, for example, which is conducting about 50,000 tests per day — seven times more than the U.K. — has more than twice as many reported cases as the U.K., but they’ve also had only about one-third as many deaths.

maty

Major Contributor
The problem with today's much more effective tests (PCR) is the ability of laboratories to process them. In Spain we are at 15,000 PCR daily, they say. More laboratories have been enabled that were being used for other things but the capacity is what it is. Robots have been purchased from China to increase processing capacity.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not going to happen. In the end, you go about your business and let the chips fall where they may. This isn't close to an existential crisis. It's bad. Our reaction to it looks worse. This more than ever makes me loath to listen to prescriptions of chicken little climate change people. And I fully know climate change is a real problem.
Agreed. I'm thinking May 4th is the day. The restart will have to be gradual, with the less vulnerable leading the way back into the economy. I think a lot of people are not fully appreciating the magnitude of the suffering that will ensue if we allow this virus to devastate economies around the world.

Willem

Major Contributor
Dutch testing capability is rapidly being ramped up, but also varies by region. In our region we not only have very few hospital admissions or deaths but also much greater testing capacity. My university's virology department decided very early on that testing was important and they they should diversify equipment to avoid dependence on just one supplier. That was smart.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Agreed. I'm thinking May 4th is the day. The restart will have to be gradual, with the less vulnerable leading the way back into the economy. I think a lot of people are not fully appreciating the magnitude of the suffering that will ensue if we allow this virus to devastate economies around the world.
Problem is there's no exit strategy from all this lockdown shit.

Nobody knows how to get out of what we've all stepped in.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Problem is there's no exit strategy from all this lockdown shit.

Nobody knows how to get out of what we've all stepped in.

Like this thread? Wait, I can go back to ignoring it...

maty

Major Contributor
I bought the zinc pills on May 6 after reading the recommendation that was published here and after reading the scientific documentation about it. FFP3 Masks and nitrile gloves more days in advance.

The Spanish quarantine began on May 14. And on top of that they did not have accumulated protection material for essential services. Meanwhile, the central government, the autonomous communities and the Spanish (in) communication media were looking at their navels. Spanish population the same. So easy to access good information and data thanks to the net and the vast majority only spend time on stupid things on social networks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom