• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

TomB19

I don't understand the idea of reviewing a dac under the worst possible conditions and not even noting it in the review.

Have you considered striving for objectivity?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
The E30 was also posted on Topping's website and launched on AliExpress and Amazon, but I contacted SHENZHENAUDIO for concerns about delayed delivery. E30 is shipped by Singapore Post and needs 10-20 business days to arrive in Japan.

http://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/434825.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/af/topping-e30.html?d=y&origin=n&SearchText=topping e30&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200322233943
The listing does answer my question thanks. There is a volume control, 0- 99db. Pretty cool for the price.

does this have the proper drivers to work with windows? (Like signed drivers?)
- really annoying caveat of topping products is the lack of drivers

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't understand the idea of reviewing a dac under the worst possible conditions and not even noting it in the review.

He reviewed it the way that many people would use it and recommended it. Using an external supply would likely make no audible difference, would it?

The E30 uses the same drivers as many of their other DACs now. This is the latest version I downloaded for the D10 I ordered from Drop:

1584973891524.png

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I'm on the fence as to whether I really need another DAC...anyway, here is what Apos had to say regarding the supply chain and delivery date as of March 22:

https://apos.audio/blogs/news/apos-audio-covid-19-coronavirus-update-march-16-2020

We are shipping out of our Shenzhen Fulfillment Center as our Oakland facility needs to be closed in compliance with the California Shelter-in-Place order.

Regardless of the location of the fulfillment center, free shipping is always available, and we are just as committed to our shipping estimate.

It’s tricky time for everyone. Thank you for your support and stay safe and healthy!

QMuse

Major Contributor
Huh interesting, i had a lot of problems with the D30 - it would keep cutting off becasue the drivers didn't work properly... Was these drivers recently released?

Question is if you were using the right drivers.

D30 drivers were last updated 14-Jul-2016 and I don't remember reading folks complaining about them.

Veri

Master Contributor
Question is if you were using the right drivers.

D30 drivers were last updated 14-Jul-2016 and I don't remember reading folks complaining about them.
Sigh. 2018 http://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/359886.html right there on the official Downloads page if you scroll.

Shenzhen audio is not an official resource, I find it strange that you guys don't Google the manufacturer's website to find up to date information.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Sigh. 2018 http://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/359886.html right there on the official Downloads page if you scroll.

Shenzhen audio is not an official resource, I find it strange that you guys don't Google the manufacturer's website to find up to date information.

I simply opened a first link Google offered. I'm also pretty sure that even the v1.0 drivers worked ok.

Btw, those v1.0 drivers were made by Thesycon so they certainly worked correctly, so what's the "sigh" for? The point here was to tell the @GBMuntilprovenotherwise that the drivers were ok, not to find the latest driver.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You don't need any drivers. The dac is compliant with window 10 class drivers so is plug and play.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Huh interesting, i had a lot of problems with the D30 - it would keep cutting off becasue the drivers didn't work properly... Was these drivers recently released?

I've been running a D30 for over a year with the driver package offered at that point in time with no issues.

The driver package I noted does not work with the D30 and that's clearly noted in the documentation.

http://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/374859.html

1584981907753.png

Last edited:

Illtrick

Last week I ordered a D50S from Apos (shipping from Shenzhen Audio) only to see this thread. I'm going to use the device as a pre-amp straight into a power amp so I really need volume control to get the levels right, otherwise I would have gone with the D30. The bluetooth isn't really meaningful to me so I ordered the E30 last night because of it's volume control. I'll do a real-world functional comparison (usability) between the two once I have them in hand. Plenty of ground covered on the quantitative realm so I'll try and cover some new territory.

Labjr

Major Contributor
When using a DAC direct to power amp I've thought of using a stepped attenuator along with digital volume in the DAC, as a precaution, so I don't get any surprises that blow my speakers.

Illtrick

When using a DAC direct to power amp I've thought of using a stepped attenuator along with digital volume in the DAC, as a precaution, so I don't get any surprises that blow my speakers.

I've thought about this but think I'll be okay with being methodical about power on and volume control sequencing of source and dac. If possible I'd like to avoid it all together.

My setup is a raspberry pi with allo boss dac hat. I briefly tried their relay attenuator hat but quickly abandoned it because of terrible software integration / operation. The boss isn't working well direct to the power amp, causing a whole bunch of extra audible noise that were suppressed by the integrated amp I was running before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom