• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phone as DAP?

Ste_S

Currently have an iPhone 12, and have been impressed by how well a cheap Android phone (my work Samsung A20) is more flexible for music than an iPhone.

So, I'm thinking about either moving into Android full time, or purchsing a cheap Android phone of my own to use as a DAP. For the latter, the Sony Xperia 10 series have expandable storage to 1TB and a 3.5mm jack, does anyone have any experience of these? Or alternatively, have other recommendations?

Turambar

Think twice, you will need a tool to cheat the Android mixer or get everything resampled.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Any phone allowing you to add a SD card will do.
If you are not happy with the analog out or if it doesn't come with a analog out, a USB DAC will do if you plan to go wired.
I use a very simple and cheap Ugreen

If I combine it with Onkyo HF player (or any already mentioned by staticV3), I can even play 24/96. Not that it makes any audible difference but the idea appeals to my purist taste.
When traveling I go for the convenience of Bluetooth.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
where i am you can buy brand name phones with 8gb ram 128gb nvram for around $100 usd

w/ acceptable 3.5mm performance

but i mean with bluetooth it barely matters

256gb sd cards are like $25? heaps of rooms to store music

w/ foobar and just bulk copy files over

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I still use an older Galaxy 6 phone for this purpose when traveling, as well as a fleet of iPod shuffles that still keep a decent charge for workout/walking use. (The free program "Copy Trans" does a pretty good job of letting me put new music onto the shuffles in Windows 10, without having to fire up an old Mac laptop.)

Somafunk

Major Contributor
The Hiby music players work with a stripped down version of android that removes the resampling issue, Hiby have a new R4 player out soon for a very good/cheap price £/$249

Hiby R4 Dap here

ciccio1378

I use a Samsung A5 2016 with a microSD card and I'm very happy with it. Since I have a WiiM Mini, I also installed its Wiim Home app. The only problem is that this Samsung does not have Ldac, when I use it in bluetooth.

DS_Construct

1714221525833.png

1714221561013.png

DS_Construct

US$399

Top Bottom