• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's crazy isn't it! Maybe the guy's got nowhere to go, maybe he thinks he can't improve his speakers, maybe he's got nothing to go on but blind reputation with zero underlying technical justification/potential both now & in the future (which wouldn't have to be the case).....but you'd like to think that people can start designing better speakers with the right measurements & right attention. The best ways to learn are when you really know in your heart that you've been wrong about things & there's new approaches & attitudes to be had in the future - it's a difficult & flexible line to create in your life to balance that with your own assertiveness & current beliefs.
What I find amazing is that crossover design is actually rather simple, it's the kind of thing anyone can do with correctly measured drivers and free software like XSIM. Trouble is people hold all these designers up on such a pedestal that they end up with insane ego's which leads to people like this guy when the truth is anyone can do it, just they feel intimidated by it or don't have the inclination. The biggest factor is really picking the correct driver's for the intended application and crossover, but even that doesn't require any engineering degree or qualification. Truth is a lot of these people like to let on they are far more talented than they actually are and convince everyone that they couldn't do better themselves so they should buy their product.

If Tekton @Eric Alexander want me to prove such, send me the .ZMA and.FRD files and I'll knock you one up to prove the point.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What I find amazing is that crossover design is actually rather simple, it's the kind of thing anyone can do with correctly measured drivers and free software like XSIM. Trouble is people hold all these designers up on such a pedestal that they end up with insane ego's which leads to people like this guy when the truth is anyone can do it, just they feel intimidated by it or don't have the inclination. The biggest factor is really picking the correct driver's for the intended application and crossover, but even that doesn't require any engineering degree or qualification. Truth is a lot of these people like to let on they are far more talented than they actually are and convince everyone that they couldn't do better themselves so they should buy their product.

If Tekton @Eric Alexander want me to prove such, send me the .ZMA and.FRD files and I'll knock you one up to prove the point.
I don't really understand the technicalities of everything relating to crossovers eventhough I understand the idea of both the woofer & tweeter rolling off at the same point to enable a flat frequency response (because I understand & don't fully understand that directivity is involved in this equation). But yes, it really smacks of egos getting the upper hand & therefore the focus being on the wrong place in the business (I hope he has some strong employees that he can discuss stuff with that have some more open minds).

beagleman

Major Contributor

He does talk about doing "Computer simulations" and then fine tuning by ear, but honestly could not find anything about verification by actual measurements.

I have a feeling, that just maybe, there is not much more going on with these "Designs", they are fairly simplistic and just do not hold up to close scrutiny.
Problem is, you can not have it "both ways", to make big claims of high fidelity, but then melt down when scrutinized and found a bit lacking.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I don't really understand the technicalities of everything relating to crossovers eventhough I understand the idea of both the woofer & tweeter rolling off at the same point to enable a flat frequency response (because I understand & don't fully understand that directivity is involved in this equation). But yes, it really smacks of egos getting the upper hand & therefore the focus being on the wrong place in the business (I hope he has some strong employees that he can discuss stuff with that have some more open minds).
From what I read, we are talking LESS than 10 employees.......and production is done on an "as needed" basis. In other words, someone makes an online order and they begin building that particular speaker for the person.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I read, we are talking LESS than 10 employees.......and production is done on a as needed basis. In other words, someone makes an online order and they begin building that particular speaker for the person.
A smaller pool of employees, but hopefully he has some knowledgeable open minded people that he can bounce ideas off, one can hope.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no crossover on earth that will render a competitively smooth DI with a passive array of tweeters on one side and midwoofers on the other. It's like trying to build an airplane with a wing on one side.

M&K did a very good job of it in the 80s, reviews can be seen here, but back then the reason for the design was increased power handling of the tweeter and increased power handling of the woofers from being used only above 80hz. An ingenius and forward thinking design from the era before computer aided speaker measurement.

Designers of that era really were incredibly intelligent and it is amazing how good their designs were considering how limited speaker measurement was.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shout out to the moderation team having their weekend spoiled by the tempers and legal threats being flashed around like energy at a Sylvester concert

doug s.

Some curiosity caused me to browse the T website and I had a WTF moment to read this:

"Note: the Mini Lore was recently pulled from my lineup due to a slanderous and deeply flawed review by Amir at Audio Science Review the “place where we pretend to know a lot more about audio that we really do.” "

My first thought was ....Is this guy even "For real", comments like the above come off like amateur childish temper tantrums, and NOT like some professional audio company in any imaginable way:facepalm:
sounds like amir has a legitimate reason to sue tekton. THAT is truly slander. i'd certainly chip in for that, if amir wanted to sue. and why would a mfr pull a product simply because it got one negative review? sounds like lunacy to me...

doug s.

Ze Frog

You really don't need to understand. You don't even need to really know what the components do to start with as you learn as you do. XSIM for example has a selection of crossover examples of which show how say a second order is laid out. Then you find the correct values until you have the variables such as impedance phase and frequency response looking nice. I highly recommend giving it a go one time out of curiosity, you can find . ZMA and .FRD files for Dayton Audio drivers on their site, so you don't even need to buy them to get a practice run in just to see how it works. Everyone should try it at some point, it's quite interesting if you are interested in how it all works. Obviously in real world there are other factors, like taking baffle size and offset amongst other things, but it's all really far simpler than the majority think. When I first started off I didn't really now anything besides what a resistor, inductor and capacitor did electricly.

doug s.

Let’s not lose perspective
i'm not losing perspective even a bit. the overwhelming majority of people posting to this thread now want to have nothing to do with tekton product ever, even if it sounds good. i'm just agreeing. and yes, i do believe that people like this make the world a less nice place. otherwise, i'd still have tekton as a possible product i'd be interested in, and so would everyone else who now doesn't.

the post i responded to is the one whose perspective is a bit out of whack, imo.

doug s.

Ze Frog

the point you're missing is, whether he measures his speakers or not, he's an assfuck for threatening an honest review. assfucks can eat shit and die, as far as i'm concerned. the world would be a better place. no one's perfect, but despicable behavior is above and beyond not being perfect.

doug s.
The whole situation is pretty annoying, but chill, don't let it resort to calling names and stuff, it's not worth it.

doug s.

The whole situation is pretty annoying, but chill, don't let it resort to calling names and stuff, it's not worth it.
perhaps, but i'm pretty sure my "name calling" is not far off the mark of what most everyone here thinks about eric.

doug s.

AaronJ

I honestly wonder if he is mentally unstable, not kidding. He is effectively telling potential customers to go and do an internet search about this review, and when potential customers reach the Tekton review thread, they will be mortified of him, his company and his speakers. If other sane manufacturers gets a bad review they will just try to sweep the bad review under the rug by ignoring it.
This guy is unhinged and behaving like a narcissist. I wouldn’t be surprised if his business already wasn’t doing well considering the outsized and immediate response.

doug s.

This guy is unhinged and behaving like a narcissist. I wouldn’t be surprised if his business already wasn’t doing well considering the outsized and immediate response.
i think the thing that may be hurting (or has already hurt) his business the most, is the exceedingly long wait time for receiving product after the purchase. (which would also explain his lunatic response of pulling a speaker because of a single bad review - an excuse so as to have one less product to worry about having to make.) tekton got great subjective reviews, especially at their price points, and they could not ramp up production to accommodate. this has happened to many mfr's. as i mentioned earlier, i thought the double impact, at it's ~$3k asking price was a great sounding speaker; whether or not it measured well. and so did many others, and orders started pouring in. 3-6 month wait times will really put a damper on sales... and, eric, imo, also shot himself in the foot, imo, by offering so many different models; it's hard to decide what may be the right speaker to buy at a given price-point.

doug s.

doug s.

I know, trust me, I have many words to say I can't write here,lol. Just don't want to see a fellow member getting in any bother with the moderator's over it.
point taken; thanks!

doug s.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
perhaps, but i'm pretty sure my "name calling" is not far off the mark of what most everyone here thinks about eric.

doug s.
We might be thinking it. But thinking to oneself and posting it are two entirely different things. If you make another post like the previous post expect to be banned and posting privileges revoked.

Keep these posts clean and professional or don’t post. We have let this thread go unmoderated for the most part but we have limits. Please don’t push us into a corner. ;)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(good point re potential state of the business & reaction) (It's very easy to let yourself be irrational when you're under a lot of pressure.)

Last edited:

lordhumungous

sounds like amir has a legitimate reason to sue tekton. THAT is truly slander. i'd certainly chip in for that, if amir wanted to sue. and why would a mfr pull a product simply because it got one negative review? sounds like lunacy to me...

doug s.
Amir just got an Ace in the hole with this !

Top Bottom