• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RSL 10E SUBWOOFER 299$ 300W RMS HOW?

HighFutility

It looks like RSL is turning the subwoofer game on its head. Between the amp and the driver, I have no idea how they can sell this for $300$ out the door. They have delivered a great value product as far as their subwoofer lineup goes, and I fear they might have bit off more than they can chew with this one. That, or they are selling at a loss to get their name out and get some new customers.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like RSL is turning the subwoofer game on its head. Between the amp and the driver, I have no idea how they can sell this for $300$ out the door. They have delivered a great value product as far as their subwoofer lineup goes, and I fear they might have bit off more than they can chew with this one. That, or they are selling at a loss to get their name out and get some new customers.

If they sell them strictly DTC a competent subwoofer at $300 retail is doable, if a big challenging in terms of margins.

If they cut corners anywhere it would have to be in the box construction. 300w can be had from cheap-ish chip amps these days (maybe $15-20 FOB?) and the DSP needed to beat a so-so sub driver into shape is very affordable as well... maybe $5 more in the BOM, likely less. The driver probably costs no more than $20-30 at scale, but the box could be as much again.

All that said, with no specs there's nothing to be impressed with yet. A 10" sub that only does 83dB at 35hz is probably not even worth $300, you know?

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If they sell them strictly DTC a competent subwoofer at $300 retail is doable, if a big challenging in terms of margins.

If they cut corners anywhere it would have to be in the box construction. 300w can be had from cheap-ish chip amps these days (maybe $15-20 FOB?) and the DSP needed to beat a so-so sub driver into shape is very affordable as well... maybe $5 more in the BOM, likely less. The driver probably costs no more than $20-30 at scale, but the box could be as much again.

All that said, with no specs there's nothing to be impressed with yet. A 10" sub that only does 83dB at 35hz is probably not even worth $300, you know?
I'm guessing you aren't familiar with rsl.... I'll bet a months rent it goes well under 30 hz at 83 db....let me know how interested you are in the bet ...

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hmm.

10" 300W isn't that impressive, considering that for the same price, Monoprice sells a 15" 600W sub.

I'm not sure if the 10E could keep up.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm guessing you aren't familiar with rsl.... I'll bet a months rent it goes well under 30 hz at 83 db....let me know how interested you are in the bet ...
I'm not familiar, won't take the bet for that reason... I was just making an example of specs that would make a pretty lame sub. Might be that this one kicks butt. My real point is just that I won't get excited until I know the price AND performance... ;)

tw 2022

Thanks, I'm semi familiar with that model... The 10 e will measure better and go deeper... Ill bet a months rent with you too if you are interested... The peak wattage on the 10 e is 800 watts as well... Rsl just doesn't lie about specs like monoprice did with the rms...the monoprice only claims 30 hz and I'd bet that's exaggerated.... The rsl will do 25 .. Look at the specs on the 10s v2 from audioholics....rsl makes good subs

tw 2022

I'm not familiar, won't take the bet for that reason... I was just making an example of specs that would make a pretty lame sub. Might be that this one kicks butt. My real point is just that I won't get excited until I know the price AND performance... ;)
Trust me , when you see the specs you'll be glad you didn't bet...this sub will set the bar for entry level subs... Look up the rsl 10 s v2.. Other than the driver and slightly lesser amp they are pretty much identical....

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Trust me , when you see the specs you'll be glad you didn't bet...this sub will set the bar for entry level subs... Look up the rsl 10 s v2.. Other than the driver and slightly lesser amp they are pretty much identical....
Well, I hope you are right! I have an old sunfire sub that goes down to 20 no problem... but I'm worried that it's not going to last much longer. Lots of buzzing last time it was plugged in... So it would be nice to get something that goes down into the 20s for my office setup for not too much $$.

tw 2022

Well, I hope you are right! I have an old sunfire sub that goes down to 20 no problem... but I'm worried that it's not going to last much longer. Lots of buzzing last time it was plugged in... So it would be nice to get something that goes down into the 20s for my office setup for not too much $$.
This is going to be your huckleberry... This is going to be the go to small room sub .. Check out the audioholics review of the 10s... It's very similar...

OP
H

HighFutility

Where can one purchase cheap 300W plate amps that dig low. Lots of amps I see have trouble with 30-40hz range.

fun

Detailed specs and FR curve are out now. I assume it's a ported, not sealed sub right? I don't see it mention anywhere.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Detailed specs and FR curve is out now. I assume it's a ported, not sealed sub right? I don't see it mention anywhere.
It's got a slot port on the front back, I think.

They claim 94dB at 20hz, (based on the FR curve), really not bad for the money. If my current sub croaks this one will probably be on the list...

Last edited:

Thomhawk

Received mine a few days back, last sub I had came with a sound bar package. Extension is incredible, a bit larger than I was thinking. Auto wake is a little finicky but I think it's user error and I need to change some things on my amp.

3125b

Major Contributor
Auto wake is a little finicky but I think it's user error and I need to change some things on my amp.
The input level needs to be high enough, not sure if they spec it here. Auto-on/off rarely works perfectly in my experience.

94dB @20Hz is realistic for a large-ish ported 10" sub, good value for money.

The 10 e will measure better and go deeper
It certainly has flatter FR, but the 15" Monoprice has higher SPL capability: https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/monoprice-sw-15
It's a great PA sub and with DSP also suited for a home entertainment system if there is space.

audioje

Two of these vs single $600-700 subwoofer (like svs). Which would you choose?

Top Bottom