• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Truth About Vinyl Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

atmasphere

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
And Public Record Co is the remaining lacquer manufacturer. They’ve a nice little factory video on their home page.

Yes- that was who I mentioned earlier though not by name.
Thank you. I am using a LOMC cart with a SUT. I added a zobel network to the SUT output to prevent ringing as recommended by Jensen. How well does a SUT work for RF suppression and cantilever stiffness issues?
SUTs don't have bandwidth so the RFI thing isn't a problem. But ringing is. When you load the transformer its not loading the cartridge significantly because the goal with the additional load is to do so while keeping the secondary load impedance high. The load is essential though because in addition to ringing, the SUT can express some of the inter-winding capacitance, which will cause the FR to no longer be flat.

If you really want to get down on LP playback, its things like this that are its true weakness- get any of them wrong (which I think has been very common in the past) and you never find out what the LPs can actually do.

atmasphere

Technical Expert
Audio Company
So that’s what you consider to be a garage?
I've been told that by various sources that seem quite consistent despite not knowing each other but that does not mean I'm right. Obviously any lacquer producer would have to keep things clean but if you look you'll see there's nothing in the video that really says much about the space. The shots are all done fairly close up.

JP

Major Contributor
I've been told that by various sources that seem quite consistent despite not knowing each other but that does not mean I'm right. Obviously any lacquer producer would have to keep things clean but if you look you'll see there's nothing in the video that really says much about the space. The shots are all done fairly close up.

The first articles on the Apollo fire asserted “Adamant” as the sole producer, and later I remember the garage rumors. I didn’t ask many people as it didn’t matter, but never heard a theory on either of those - just shrugs. Pretty clear from the video that’s a commercial space, and as I said there doesn’t appear to be much of a shortage these days.

atmasphere

Technical Expert
Audio Company
The first articles on the Apollo fire asserted “Adamant” as the sole producer, and later I remember the garage rumors. I didn’t ask many people as it didn’t matter, but never heard a theory on either of those - just shrugs. Pretty clear from the video that’s a commercial space, and as I said there doesn’t appear to be much of a shortage these days.
The mastering house that bought my mastering system told me you had to be on the good side of the owner but that may well have been to encourage me to sell the system.

Robin L

Master Contributor
431569525_981166363378082_3359782621739788705_n.jpg

Haskil

Forum Donor
Yes before the arrival of the CD we never used the term vinyl to describe a micro-groove, an LP, an 33 rpm record, a record, an album... never...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Newman

Major Contributor
There are so many names for them, that trying to be pedantic just looks….pedantic!

Sometimes they were called 33rpm records, sometimes LP records, sometimes microgroove records, and indeed, they were referred to as vinyl records, being an important differentiator from their immediate predecessor, the shellac record.

Vinyl, as a short form for vinyl records, is no less appropriate than LP as a short form for LP records. Hypocrisy?

They even got popularly referred to as albums, despite being typically a single disc, and the word album being specifically intended for packaged bundles of multiple shellac records to cover longer works or compilations. Like a photo album.

So why aren’t people being skewered for calling them albums? That’s actually, by definition, wrong.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I only remember myself and everyone I knew calling them records.

Robin L

Master Contributor
There are so many names for them, that trying to be pedantic just looks….pedantic!

Sometimes they were called 33rpm records, sometimes LP records, sometimes microgroove records, and indeed, they were referred to as vinyl records, being an important differentiator from their immediate predecessor, the shellac record.

Vinyl, as a short form for vinyl records, is no less appropriate than LP as a short form for LP records. Hypocrisy?

They even got popularly referred to as albums, despite being typically a single disc, and the word album being specifically intended for packaged bundles of multiple shellac records to cover longer works or compilations. Like a photo album.

So why aren’t people being skewered for calling them albums? That’s actually, by definition, wrong.
"It's a joke, ah said, ah said it's a joke, son."

R.jpg

The term "albums" started with collections of 78s, BTW, gathered in a folder.
But in any case, I posted that photo as it was a joke about LPs that didn't appear in any our vinyl food-fights previously.
Excuse me while I listen to some CDs of albums of 78s.

Justdafactsmaam

"It's a joke, ah said, ah said it's a joke, son."

View attachment 358943

The term "albums" started with collections of 78s, BTW, gathered in a folder.
But in any case, I posted that photo as it was a joke about LPs that didn't appear in any our vinyl food-fights previously.
Excuse me while I listen to some CDs of albums of 78s.
This is no joking matter. It is vital that we endlessly argue about semantics and the history of the jargon. Lives depend on it

Robin L

Master Contributor
This is no joking matter. It is vital that we endlessly argue about semantics and the history of the jargon. Lives depend on it
I sincerely doubt that the linguistically abhorrent term "vinyls" appeared prior to the 21st century. I blame it on the kids.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sincerely doubt that the linguistically abhorrent term "vinyls" appeared prior to the 21st century. I blame it on the kids.
Given I’m writing this in a language that has almost no internal consistency (the only one I can think of is a negative - no starting words with the “ng” sound)… vinyls still bothers me.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Oxford Dictionary,

RECORD
"a thing constituting a piece of evidence about the past, especially an account kept in writing or some other permanent form."
:p

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Come on, you know you want to.

I’ve been calling them vinyl records or vinyl.

Telling people they’re wrong? Such a great opportunity for you, go for it. :D

I only remember myself and everyone I knew calling them records.

My parents call them records, or LPs, sometimes albums, I think that was normal. Distinct from tape or cassettes (which are also records of course, but not colloquially).

Given I’m writing this in a language that has almost no internal consistency (the only one I can think of is a negative - no starting words with the “ng” sound)… vinyls still bothers me.

While I call them vinyl records or vinyl, it’s never ‘vinyls’ or ‘a vinyl’ … somehow that sounds illiterate.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While I call them vinyl records or vinyl, it’s never ‘vinyls’ or ‘a vinyl’ … somehow that sounds illiterate.
Me too. But we will all be calling them that in ten years. American English goes to the lowest common denominator. I remember when “selfie” first made it into use. I hated it. It’s a self portrait. As a photographer it drives me nuts. Less now though. Of course “movie” is also abhorent. Why not just say we’re going to the “talkie”? I think I need to go listen to some spinnies to calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom