• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

Multicore

Major Contributor
Finally got around to updating my home office setup. Trusty audio components stay the same: mainstay Beyerdynamic DT1990Pro (but I rotate others in), JDS Labs Element III as DAC+Headphone amp, and old AudioEngine A2.
Main reason to reconfigure was to get the 4K capable KVM switch from IOgear in, to make switching between work and personal computers a one button experience.
And yes, the A2 is perfectly enjoyable to me in this setup - if there's anything else in that compact form factor, let me know. :)
View attachment 348980
What make and model is the pocket calculator and the keyboard musical instrument?

Djsedaw

IMG_20240211_192517410 (1).jpg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
And yes, the A2 is perfectly enjoyable to me in this setup - if there's anything else in that compact form factor, let me know

II’m still using my original 2008 pair in the kitchen with an echo dot, lovely warm sounding speakers, probably measure poorly but I couldn’t care less ;)

jooc

Computer --usb--> SMSL SU1 DAC --> IoTAVX SE3 integrated --> Triangle Borea BRO3 + Yamaha 8'' sub

zdykstra

Here's my basement workstation with a Cambridge Audio DacMagicPlus connected to a pair of IcePower kit amps, driving JBL S38's. I had a pair of JBL L880's down here, but they're doing main system duty while I get a coaxial driver in my Thiels repaired.

The array of displays means I have to be a bit creative / less than perfect with speaker positions.

Attachments

• 17077010079945959705518224852065.jpg
    17077010079945959705518224852065.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 133

Anti-Climacus

Before (Genelec 8020C used):

IMG_0098.JPG

My current humble desktop audio setup: pc as source (Spotify, Foobar etc)---> Topping EX5 ----> Genelec 8030C:

IMG_0219.JPG

Headphones: AKG K371 (with Brainwavz oval pads since the stock ones were ripped apart in less than 2 years) and the Crinacle ZERO: 2 IEM which I received recently and I am amazed by its sound, very neutral and balanced (I have applied the Harman full EQ I found here in a thread) and amazing bass for the money! I paid 24 euros to Linsoul and it got delivered in just 2 weeks from China to Europe with no import fees or extra charges. Since I got it, the K371 has not been much in use and that says a lot. I think also that the replacement earpads made the sound worse unfortunately.

Both the speaker stands and the headphone one are from K&M, very sturdy and robust. The K&M 26772 is the perfect size and fit for Genelec 8030.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My home office is my personal retreat and hobby space, and on top of that I'm a WFH software developer, so I spend a lot of time in here listening to music. I have been piecing together my 2.4 system for the last 2 years, and it finally feels complete. I have no desires to change anything else, unless something dies.

The brain of the system is a miniDSP Flex (balanced w/ Dirac Live) that has proven to be one excellent and flexible piece of gear. The miniDSP sits on my desk with a Topping L50 and a Topping PA5 (Dec 2021 and still kicking baby!). The L50 is for a pair of Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Open headphones, and the PA5 feeds a pair of Revel M105s. Both setups work nicely together with the Flex in that the L50 hijacks the input signal before the PA5 when it's turned on, and then a different miniDSP config preset is used that disables the subs and applies the oratory1990 parametric EQ settings. The config presets on the miniDSP mean you don't need an extra output for a headphone amp, and the miniDSP controls all volume. It works excellent this way.

IMG_4817.jpeg

In addition to the PA5/Revels, the miniDSP also feeds four 8" subs that I designed and built and are configured as stereo pairs. I am a big fan of stereo bass, and it's also present in nearly all of the music I listen to. There is a front and rear sub paired for each L/R channel. The miniDSP feeds the other 2 outputs to a t.racks DSP 4x4 mini, which adds delays before feeding a pair of Crown XLS1500's for the 4 subs. All the subwoofer gear hangs out on a shelf down low next to the front right sub. The Crowns have fairly quiet but audible fans that come on sometimes, but tucked down under here I don't hear them:

IMG_4783.jpeg

The four subs I built are different shapes because the front and rear subs needed to fit into different spaces. Generally speaking, the fronts had to be as narrow as possible, while the rear had to be as shallow as possible:

IMG_2519.jpeg

Below are some pictures of the room, and I have to say one of the highlights for me is the Ekornes office chair, which I acquired last year. It fully reclines and can make the listening experience feel nothing like "sitting at a desk." The price is a bit eye watering for an office chair, but it's lived up to my hopes for comfort and ergonomics and it's worth every penny.

To help with the room's small 10'x10' dimensions, I've treated the space in several different ways:
  • front & side walls: 4" thick absorber panels (a total of 5 panels)
  • windows: acoustic curtains (over 20 pounds and do an amazing job of neutralizing the window)
  • ceiling: two 4" thick GIK alpha panels over the desk/listening position
  • back wall: two 4" and two 6" GIK alpha panels
  • desktop: two 21" oval cat bed desk absorbers (does limit max dB's when filled with cats, but otherwise works excellent)
IMG_4769.jpeg

The rear subs are visible in this picture, each tucked into the back corners.

IMG_4770.jpeg

Hovering under my main computer monitor is a small 6" HDMI display that runs NowPlayingDisplay, a display server I wrote that shows full screen album art and information for my currently playing music. I absolutely love it and really enjoy having my music displayed this way!

IMG_4796.jpeg

To tie this all together and explain how it's hooked up better than words will, here is a system diagram of the whole thing:

office.drawio.jpg

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally got around to updating my home office setup. ...
And also moved around at work, where these days I am twice a week with the return-to-office thing (not hard on me, I live nearby), and set things up in a minimalist and clean way.

0officesetupwork.jpg

An old but perfectly satisfying Arcam rPAC DAC with Shure SRH1540s. I can recommend, lots of bang for the buck.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bad pic, but those speakers are good value. I have them in white, bought used for 60€. Sadly, the seller didn't deliver the remote. They are now in my work shop (really just a small desk in my tiny flat), connected to the headphone out of a Thinkpad X230 which runs Debian and Camilla DSP.

KaLam1ty

I'd been meaning to fill the cave basement with more stuff to reduce the reverberant effects with the 8361A set-up. I initially wanted it more an entertainment space, but never found a moment in the two years when to make that happen.

So I just up'd and bought a standing desk, moved all my work stuff, and made the basement my office.

PXL_20240315_013730897.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20240314_225138594.PORTRAIT.jpg

The work screen sits behind the 8361A listening position and is somewhat of a high freq. noise eater. It helped way more than I thought it would with the echo. The improved measurement seem to align with what I was hearing. Though, I could still honestly fill the room with more... junk lol.

Before treatments from 2 years ago vs. today with diffusion, furniture, and junk
1710877191885.png

1710877207100.png

1710877282971.png

1710877300197.png

Maybe I should, at some point, swap the 8330As with white 8331A's to match...hm..

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I just up'd and bought a standing desk
How is that working out for you? Do you notice a healthier position? I have arthritis of the tailbone and what seemingly is a bad left thigh from some issue I have no idea what it is and have been contemplating a standing desk. Does your convert to a sit down mode too?

Top Bottom