• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi amplifiers coming

EdW

Not even close. The APX555 or 555B has another 15-20dB to play with. Ask @amirm

But, that's only at a measly 5W. One data point at 1kHz 5W is just that, one data point.
I didn’t realize that the AP555 was good for 150dB dynamic range. I agree we need to see a full set of power vs distortion sweeps at different frequencies into 8/4/2 Ohm loads. Along with multitone and IMD plots.

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OPA1656 as per the man himself.
I just noticed the following update on the product page: "One Texas Instrument OPA1656IDR OPA per channel is used."

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Big scoop here! The OP is almost 2 years old and still no modules available for hobbyists.:oops:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Big scoop here! The OP is almost 2 years old and still no modules available for hobbyists.:oops:
It would be embarrassing if the competition released theirs earlier.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be embarrassing if the competition released theirs earlier.

pic from the NCx1000 release announcement…

1714652109359.jpeg

BassMojo

Any idea what the 9040 (and/or NCx1000) RMS rating might be? I see the peak for the 9040 is 750w, but am curious as to RMS. The reason for asking is to shoot for an amp with will maximize my Perlisten speakers which are rated at 600w RMS. I assume that they will sound identical. Thanks.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any idea what the 9040 (and/or NCx1000) RMS rating might be? I see the peak for the 9040 is 750w, but am curious as to RMS. The reason for asking is to shoot for an amp with will maximize my Perlisten speakers which are rated at 600w RMS. I assume that they will sound identical. Thanks.

Not really clear what the Perlisten spec is but like other recommended power ones, it is pretty useless. Might be useful if they stated that maximum amp power handling is 600 watts, but without any other stated conditions, cannot tell. Agree most of the range of power required for speakers is dynamic and you are not likely to hear any difference. A bit more power will do no harm and only likely to your hearing before any equipment problems occur. Otoh, if you are on a budget, why waste money on power you do not need....

How close to your speakers do you listen and how sensitive are they?

Ordin Aryguy

It's not stated which Perlisten speakers you have, but they all seem to have reasonable sensitivity spec's. The S7t's are rated at 92.2dB @ 1W. That's pretty darned sensitive.

Here's a quick chart showing the SPL of a 92.2dB @ 1W speakers at power levels from 1W to 600W... It only takes 6W to hit 100dB!

If I had to guess, your speakers will never see 600W. I certainly won't try to talk you out of buying a mega-amp if you really want it, but it's sort of like owning a Ferrari and never getting out of 1st gear.

Perlisten S7t power curve.png

Ordin Aryguy

This is correct for the test stimuli. But we also hear music below 100Hz, for example ;)
How many dB reduction below the test frequency should we consider? I still contend that 600W will be painfully, dangerously loud, even into low efficiency speakers.

edit: corrected wonky spelling

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
It also depends on the program material and the impedance curve.
Here you can even have a normal conversation at over 600W:

im_gumby

Coming from Purifi and Bruno, I expect nothing but excellence in other important metrics such as IMD and reliability of the module. So it comes down to PS choice, buffer and opamp, and general assembly quality and chassis design to differentiate between other amps based on this marvel module.
Ok, I could have sworn that I saw a YouTube video where Bruno was being interviewed and he talked about changing out the opAmp?
Sorry if that was already talked about earlier on the thread. Just jumped in late.

BassMojo

Not really clear what the Perlisten spec is but like other recommended power ones, it is pretty useless. Might be useful if they stated that maximum amp power handling is 600 watts, but without any other stated conditions, cannot tell. Agree most of the range of power required for speakers is dynamic and you are not likely to hear any difference. A bit more power will do no harm and only likely to your hearing before any equipment problems occur. Otoh, if you are on a budget, why waste money on power you do not need....

How close to your speakers do you listen and how sensitive are they?
Thank you Rick. The Perlisten S7t's are rated at 92.2 dB and my MLP is 12' from each one.

BassMojo

It's not stated which Perlisten speakers you have, but they all seem to have reasonable sensitivity spec's. The S7t's are rated at 92.2dB @ 1W. That's pretty darned sensitive.

Here's a quick chart showing the SPL of a 92.2dB @ 1W speakers at power levels from 1W to 600W... It only takes 6W to hit 100dB!

If I had to guess, your speakers will never see 600W. I certainly won't try to talk you out of buying a mega-amp if you really want it, but it's sort of like owning a Ferrari and never getting out of 1st gear.

View attachment 367774
Thank you for your thoughts. The 92.2dB indicated 1w at 1 meter. My MLP is closer to 4 meters.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you Rick. The Perlisten S7t's are rated at 92.2 dB and my MLP is 12' from each one.

You are not likely to need much more than 200 watts, but see the impedance gets rather low and Stereophile recommended amps that can handle 2 ohm loads. The size of your room can also factor into a need for greater power or powered subwoofers.

Given this, if you already have amps that meet the power need, you should be fine. :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom