• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi v3 Mono | TPA3255 PFFB | Balanced | [First Look from Fosi FB]

tom_tom

i think it's C chassis
12213261.png

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmm, if they put this out in the sub-$200 range (maybe $150?) then we're probably looking at a lot of clean watts per dollar here.

It really needs to be sub $200. If it is $200, I would spend the extra $90 or so and get the Audiophonics in a nice case with internal PSU. Not a fan of external PSUs, and even less of two external PSUs. ;)

OP
Guddu

Guddu

It really needs to be sub $200. If it is $200, I would spend the extra $90 or so and get the Audiophonics in a nice case with internal PSU. Not a fan of external PSUs, and even less of two external PSUs. ;)

Audiophonics 3e TPS3255 variant is attractive indeed.
But I wonder why would you choose it over hypex S250nc (or another hypex) variant, considering overall performance for circa $500 !

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Audiophonics 3e TPS3255 variant is attractive indeed.
But I wonder why would you choose it over hypex S250nc (or another hypex) variant, considering overall performance for circa $500 !

Thanks for noting that. I now realize I saw the price for their Hypex S250NC unit before I logged in as a US customer, so it included 20% VAT that was deducted from the 3e-based amp price that I saw after logging in.

While that makes the Hypex-based unit cheaper, it costs more to ship the Hypex than the 3e amp, so in the end, they are within €9 or so net price to a US buyer. Either way, the Audiophonics S250NC amp is cheaper than either the VTV or Buckeye.

Last edited:
OP
Guddu

Guddu

Thanks for noting that. I now realized I saw the price for their Hypex S250NC unit before I logged in as a US customer, so it included 20% VAT that was deducted from the 3e-based amp price that I saw after logging in.

While that makes the Hypex-based unit cheaper, it costs more to ship the Hypex than the 3e amp, so in the end, they are within €9 or so net price to a US buyer. Either way, the Audiophonics S250NC amp is cheaper than either the VTV or Buckeye.
I don't know how the import duty is managed when something like this is imported from EU.
Anyone has some information or experience?

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Yeah, for me, cost is issue one and issue two is the need for separate power bricks. I am really only interested in "all in one" monoblocks with internal power.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I don't know how the import duty is managed when something like this is imported from EU.
Anyone has some information or experience?

According to what I have read on US federal and the DHS and UPS sites, as long as it's declared value is under $800 US, there is no import duty assessed.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Yeah, for me, cost is issue one and issue two is the need for separate power bricks. I am really only interested in "all in one" monoblocks with internal power.

At $150 each/$300 all in, or same price as two ZA3s, I would tolerate multiple bricks, but at $200 each, I'd buy something else.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Some of the comments on the thread re this amp on the Fosi Facebook page...oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...:facepalm:

A current customer seems to be disappointed because it will use feedback (which he doesn't trust) and that Fosi doesn't supply a nice audiophile grade linear power supply.

Needless to say, when I pointed out the similarities between Class D and SMPS technology, the need for feedback, etc., he replied that he wasn't schooled in electronics but just wanted the best sound possible.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

According to what I have read on US federal and the DHS and UPS sites, as long as it's declared value is under $800 US, there is no import duty assessed.
Thanks, I didn’t know this.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

At $150 each/$300 all in, or same price as two ZA3s, I would tolerate multiple bricks, but at $200 each, I'd buy something else.
I don’t mind external PSU, always somehow manage to hide in the rack.
However the overall package must make sense considering quality, performance and price value.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Some of the comments on the thread re this amp on the Fosi Facebook page...oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...:facepalm:

A current customer seems to be disappointed because it will use feedback (which he doesn't trust) and that Fosi doesn't supply a nice audiophile grade linear power supply.

Needless to say, when I pointed out the similarities between Class D and SMPS technology, the need for feedback, etc., he replied that he wasn't schooled in electronics but just wanted the best sound possible.
As in someone has got a test unit?

sejarzo

Forum Donor
As in someone has got a test unit?

No, just someone who believes in snake oil and noted that he feeds his audiophile Class D amps (with special PSUs those makers claim are superior) with a tube preamp...and thinks he hears a difference in power cables.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

No, just someone who believes in snake oil and noted that he feeds his audiophile Class D amps (with special PSUs those makers claim are superior) with a tube preamp...and thinks he hears a difference in power cables.
Ahhh… I get it.
Well…he isn’t alone… hope he gets what he wants :facepalm:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
As is always the case with Fosi, the big question is "OK, but when will I be able to buy one?"

Top Bottom