• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio LP-UNF

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It highlights the very low price for such quality,

1579 zł at current exchange rates is $395. If they are high quality for that price, they represent an even better value here in the US.

szrot

Kali LP-UNF vs. Kali LP-6v2
LP_UNF.jpg
LP_UNF_2.jpg

sejarzo

Forum Donor
They arrived early!

Initially connected via USB, but every time I switched playlist or cut in Foobar, or videos on YouTube, or paused or restarted a cut or scrolled through a long video, there were a series of static-y clicks when audio started or stoppped--not as many as are heard when they are powered up, but loud enough to be annoying enough that I couldn't live with it. Disabling exclusive mode seemed to help at first, but after reboot, no joy. I verified that exclusive was still disabled. I'd never experienced that with any other USB DAC, so I put the D10 in the chain.

Huge improvement over the Presonus Eris 3.5s, that's no doubt, and capable of much higher SPL without distorting. The waveguide seems to be quite effective in that I can move my head more side to side/front to back without noting any shift in center image or tonality. Bass is obviously tighter with notably less 2nd harmonic versus the Eris.

REW measurements still to come later in the week when we have warmer weather and I have a chance to shut down the furnace.

They are currently sitting on the pads that came with my original "studio monitor" Mackie CR3s. Not optimal, they are too soft and narrow so I will get a firmer/wider set soon.

That's a 27 inch monitor to give a sense of scale. Tweeters are 79 cm apart, essentially right at Kali recommended distance of 0.8m. DIP switches are set in the position shown, even though they are only 13 inches from the rear wall.

index.php

1708875967809.png

sejarzo

Forum Donor
After several days, I remain pleased with the sound--it's just that noise when using the USB-C input that's annoying.

It cannot be just my system that is at fault--given that no other USB DAC had this issue, and it happens in Foobar2000 or any browser in YouTube or site playing sound when starting, pausing, or stopping playback. That's why I was surprised when the guy in the "Worth the Ultra-Hype?" video stated that using the USB-C was dead quiet (or words to that effect.) Someone producing music would have to frequently scroll back and forth in cuts to check the mix, right?

My "in real use at a desk" measurements will have to wait until next week. I am getting some better isolation pads that won't be here in time for me to measure before we head out for the weekend. Hope Erin puts out his review with Klippel measurements shortly!

Last edited:

Liopleus

After several days, I remain pleased with the sound--it's just that noise when using the USB-C input that's annoying.

It cannot be just my system that is at fault--given that no other USB DAC had this issue, and it happens in Foobar2000 or any browser in YouTube or site playing sound when starting, pausing, or stopping playback. That's why I was surprised when the guy in the "Worth the Ultra-Hype?" video stated that using the USB-C was dead quiet (or words to that effect.) Someone producing music would have to frequently scroll back and forth in cuts to check the mix, right?

My "in real use at a desk" measurements will have to wait until next week. I am getting some better isolation pads that won't be here in time for me to measure before we head out for the weekend. Hope Erin puts out his review with measurements shortly!
Have you considered the possibility of your unit being defective? If other people doesn't encounter such issue, you should contact the retailer or Kali to get replacement.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
USB in for MacOS only :)?

I noted what I planned to do in a reply to one of Kali's YouTube videos on the unit and that wasn't noted in their reply. I posted my issue in a reply on one of those videos earlier today and will await a response.

Likewise, MacOS only certainly isn't suggested by the user manual:

1709133081268.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
After several days, I remain pleased with the sound--it's just that noise when using the USB-C input that's annoying
I have no such issues. Though I use it though a virtual interface, which probably keeps it always opened..

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I have no such issues. Though I use it though a virtual interface, which probably keeps it always opened..

When it is connected via USB-C and selected as the default Sound device in Win10, several seconds after I close a YouTube tab after a video ends, hear those sounds again too.

No other USB DAC or internal sound chip in my current workstation setup has done anything like that.

Submitted my observations to Kali customer service via the Kali site, got the acknowledgment email in reply, and will report their next response when I get it.

skeeper

When it is connected via USB-C and selected as the default Sound device in Win10, several seconds after I close a YouTube tab after a video ends, hear those sounds again too.

No other USB DAC or internal sound chip in my current workstation setup has done anything like that.

Submitted my observations to Kali customer service via the Kali site, got the acknowledgment email in reply, and will report their next response when I get it.
I managed to eliminate these sounds by using Sound Keeper program (using OpenOnly option was enough), but It's still annoying that it does that when my PC is starting and shutting down. I can also hear those pops when connecting and disconnecting using Bluetooth.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I managed to eliminate these sounds by using Sound Keeper program (using OpenOnly option was enough), but It's still annoying that it does that when my PC is starting and shutting down. I can also hear those pops when connecting and disconnecting using Bluetooth.

Same here with startup and shutdown noises, which I didn't mention but for me, are not as annoying as the ones that occur in active use of the speakers. While most recent USB DACs have been fine in that regard, I do recall one DAC that was fine in playback but produced nearly inaudible noise on PC startup and shutdown.

szrot

Quote from the website https://www.thomann.de/pl/kali_audio_lp_unf.htm
"Unfortunately, I have a strong resonance at around 130 Hz. I don't blame the speakers for this, but I probably still have to work on the placement and room acoustics."

And measurements:
LP_UNF_130.jpg

Coincidence, is it worth paying attention to?

Palladium

We got some stock in, so I took a pair home to test. Haven't had much time and haven't measured except SPL for comparison. My son and neighbor gave some opinions.

Compared to LSX II. A lot of back and forth and both people guessed the wrong speaker they thought they were between speaker A and speaker B. Picture below tried on different locations between inside Kef, outside Kef and on stands.
Kali better highs and dynamics
Kef better bass, warmer sound
Mids - Tie
Appearance - Kef unanimous
Features - Kef
Value - Kali

Overall closer than I thought it would be.

Compared to IN-UNF with just my son for quick comparison
Vocals - IN-UNF. This was the biggest difference between them. Otherwise close. Maybe an edge to the IN-UNF for bass and the LP-UNF seemed brighter with more pronounced highs.
Appearance - He thought LP-INF for being less obtrusive. He liked being able to move the monitor back not having the bass module.
Placement flexibility - Tie. I say this because it took a bit to get the bass correct with the IN-UNF in my set up, but the satellite base makes it easy to angle the globes. The LP-UNF needs stands. I currently have them with some Auralex Mopads angled up.

I'm sure I will be testing more soon. Haven't used the WS-6.2 with them yet and I have one here. Normally, it is connected the the Kef. I had to disconnect it for the comparison. So, all testing was only speakers for this quick impromptu comparison.

Well considering the KEFs costs 200% more over here this is an easy victory for Kali IMO

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I think the consensus here was most would not spend 4+ times the price to get the Kef.

In fairness to the Kef it does a lot more than the Kali besides aesthetics. HDMI ARC, built in streaming sources, sub output. If you don't need those features, the Kali definitely wins on value.

mblack5

Forum Donor
I picked these up 3 days ago for use with my desktop pc. Similar to prior comment, I do not hear any background noise / hiss, using the usb input.
Can anyone suggest a C shaped stand for these available in NA? I see plenty stands that are 5" wide and these speakers need 6" or a bit more.

Top Bottom