• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End Game Speakers - The Quest Continues

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Screenshot_20240227_212732_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Well PJ different/ same/ similar?
Martin used to measure in a cupboard which couldn’t have helped.
Keith

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd buy a Kii 3 pair with the "BXT" and "Control" options and be done with it -- no worries about amp capability/compatibility or cost, and they're not especially ugly. I'm done with passive speakers other than for the ambience/surround role -- YMMV.

benanders

Yup, well aware of this, and I cannot explain. Very poor measurement no doubt about it, and should be very audible, which I certainly did not hear in my short time at the show. ... Ironic thing is these measurements better represent the very unpleasant Borresen monitors I heard rather than the ELACs :facepalm:
That the measurements better represent your perception of the Borresen’s (vs. Elac’s) in expectation, yes. But in reality, no. That’s the funny thing about how measurements can “work.” ;)

I am going to try to reach out to ELAC US rep to see if I can get to bottom of this. Keep everyone posted. Funny thing is if I had known about those measurements prior I likely would not even had taken the time to listen to the speakers!
Measurements can help build bias towards an efficient mode of selection (for speakers), and I get the sound (pun!) reasoning in this. As with any other metrics-based candidacy, though, there’s always the risk it excludes something unexpectedly enjoyable. Keeps it extra interesting.

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
mkr thanks. Did you listen to the Margules speakers?
Very briefly. Sounded ok, but I didn’t listen long enough to give you any meaningful impressions, sorry. Below is a link to some comments I found that may be helpful. Note the speakers are $20k :oops:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Too expensive for that..
Agreed but I can understand how historically these did perform well for their time. At least it brought some of factors for good sound.

Most manufacturers are like that. They focus on a few things and those things make them sound better than the competition. Often targeting people who are particular about those factors.

Why compromise today when some manufacturers have comprehensively figured all of it out?

flysouth

Agree overpriced @ 20k and ugly

What on your short list get a thumbs up or down for looks?

Reactions: MKR

dfuller

Major Contributor
Agreed but I can understand how historically these did perform well for their time. At least it brought some of factors for good sound.

Most manufacturers are like that. They focus on a few things and those things make them sound better than the competition. Often targeting people who are particular about those factors.

Why compromise today when some manufacturers have comprehensively figured all of it out?
Honestly considering the home line is designed for grille-on use and it's a flat baffle it measures pretty decently.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
D&D should release the new monitors sooner than they planned just for MKR so he could finally make a decision and we could all relax at last
Well at least until I start a similar thread for my own quest
;)
Can’t wait for your quest! But I thought you had already decided on Genelec? Could it be possible you are considering there may be other fish in the sea? I sense a disturbance in the force :p

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I'd buy a Kii 3 pair with the "BXT" and "Control" options and be done with it -- no worries about amp capability/compatibility or cost, and they're not especially ugly. I'm done with passive speakers other than for the ambience/surround role -- YMMV.
Thanks for the suggestion. Auditioned the Kii last year, was certainly on the original short list, dropped. A good design no doubt, but in the end I prefer other active options.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Can’t wait for your quest! But I thought you had already decided on Genelec? Could it be possible you are considering there may be other fish in the sea? I sense a disturbance in the force :p
Your thread made me rethink stuff but I'm pretty much still in the Genelec camp ;)

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Agree overpriced @ 20k and ugly

What on your short list get a thumbs up or down for looks?
Cosmetics are a very low priority for me, performance first. But to answer your question, I had no issue with the cosmetics of any of the speakers on the short list in the original post in this thread, but the Danleys get the award for least easy on the eyes, Legacy by far the nicest looking. For what remains, Soundfield and D&D, both are fine with Soundfield getting the nod for cosmetics. But again, don’t care too much about the cosmetics. Actually the best speaker cosmetic would be an invisible speaker, just a place in space projecting a wall of sound, but we aren’t there yet, maybe AI will design that for us ;)

Top Bottom