• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
have noticed some fuses are "directional" also.
i have never understood why even cables are directional let alone fuses.
A mindbending conundrum for a fused used in an AC circuit, no?
:cool:
On fuses:
a] Fuses are one item the an audiophile can do an ears only audition all by themself.
Put the assorted fuses in a hat. Unplug the component. Eyes closed, reach in the hat, select one fuse, install fuse in component, open eyes, plug component in and do the audition...
Hot swapping (e.g., the fuse on the AC mains input) would seem a bit fraught, though -- unless the audiophile's equipped with thick rubber soled shoes.

c] Bob Cordell in his book "Designing Audio Power Amplifiers" on page 375.
Was able with a great deal of effort, able to measure fuse distortion in an amp's audio output.
at 20 Hz he measured 0.0033 % distortion. less at higher frequencies.
This distortion is due to the fuse heating and cooling each half cycle and changes in its resistance.
That's a lot (ca. -90 dB, if the calculator I use is to be believed) -- relative to the quantum/shot noise levels of SINAD being reported for better line-level audio components (e.g., DACs), though! ;)

Last edited:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Just added emphasis to un-plugging and plugging AC.
Note that the distortion is at 20 Hz and lower, and only for fuses in the audio signal path.

DanielT

Major Contributor
It's lucky that I don't hear above 15 kHz anymore, so I don't have to buy it. By the way, I would not have bought it even if I had heard up to 20 kHz.

Are dogs perhaps Fyne Audio's new customer group?:D

Frequency response (-6dB typical in room)16kHz -60kHz

Screenshot_2024-02-26_212149.jpg

DanielT

Major Contributor
Its best feature that really makes the difference is the 'cryogenically treated crossover'
Lol, I missed that.:)

I thought you were joking, but nope, Fynd Audio says it themselves::oops:o_O
Screenshot_2024-02-26_213523.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'd much prefer a tweeter that played from 16 MHz - 1 GHz. Higher is better, right? :D

Here you are, just a little below your 16MHz range though:

of course for those needing 150kHz as upper range (for those lovely 384kHz recordings) there is the plasma (corona :))tweeter.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
I fear this might be moved to snake oil thread :eek:
You are right about that. The moderator can move this thread or posts there if he wants.:)

A Spectrum Beyond Hearing

Research reveals that musical instruments emit energy up to 50kHz and beyond frequencies once thought to be beyond our perception. Yet, research has shown that these ultrasonic tones do influence our auditory experience, even if they're not directly audible. The SuperTrax captures this spectrum, ensuring you're not just listening to music - you're perceiving it.

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
You are right about that. The moderator can move this thread or posts there if he wants.:)
Let’s help him with this.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has a cryogenic filter??? ❤️❤️❤️ Is it using Bybee caps? ❤️❤️❤️ I wanted to find a way to better bond with my dog, and now I have it!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, Fyne Audio. You are so aptly named!

DSJR

Major Contributor
Old recordings have little except noise beyind 16kHz and vinyl almost nothing anyway once played a couple of times. We humans hear the effects of 'beating/intermod' effects of these supersonic frequencies in the audio band and that's what the microphone picks up.

Maybe Fyne Audio need wanky things like this to bolster business in the foo arena to top up the coffers? If the designers are from Tannoy? they probably remember the 'super tweeter' they made twenty odd years ago which actually came in at a very audioble 8kHz I recall.

P.S. KEF Tangerine tweeters and B&W's pod style tweets seem to have MASSIVE peaks at 35 - 40kHz anyway, so no need at all to make that worse, surely?

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At the low end (16kHz) is it possible that this would interact with one’s existing speakers in an unpredictable but audible fashion?
Depends on that cryogenic crossover, but I have no idea how they were able to cryogenically treat that and still get sound out :facepalm:

Top Bottom