• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio LP-UNF

mellowflight

Most Class-D amps are analog (the PWM is analog) and take an analog input. So the signal path is USB -> DSP -> DAC -> analog error amp -> analog PWM -> analog gate drivers -> power FETs -> LC low pass filter. As far as I know the TI chips have this signal flow, and some have all of the above on a single die (except the LC filter).
Do you think there would be any downsides to using the balanced TRS input over the digital?

Luciferium

It's kind of DAC, takes digital signal and converts to analog (the PWM is analog)
:)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's kind of DAC, takes digital signal and converts to analog
:)
That is not what a Class-D amp does. They are analog devices.

As for this particular chip: it’s really no different. There is a DAC inside of it, coupled to a Class-D PWM modulator. The modulator is an analog device, as is the rest of the stuff behind it.

Luciferium

I know, but it is sort of converter, one day time will come and class D will be digital and more digital)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Either way. I think if you can feed a digital signal and avoid an analog to digital conversion you are better off. I know even some of the inexpensive converters are so good nowadays that it is probably not audible but I still think it is good practice.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you think there would be any downsides to using the balanced TRS input over the digital?
With TRS input the speaker will convert to digital, do DSP, convert to analog, and drive the Class-D amp. So if you have an upstream DAC, you get an unnecessary DAC-ADC conversion that you avoid with a digital input. Now chances are that no-one can hear the difference, but some people fret over such things.

szrot

Studio monitors at your fingertips (and wallet)

Class-D amp: STM32; DAC/ADC: PCM1863; USB: CH340

Connection cable: only 1,6 m; Speaker chassis: plastic with internal stiffening structure

w1.jpg
w2.jpg
w3.jpg

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
4-channel ADC is a bit curious. I wonder if they digitize the Bluetooth again as well.

The CH340 BTW is only a USB to serial chip, probably for firmware updates. I think my Mac lists it as a USB modem ;)

mellowflight

szrot

Can anyone here that speaks Polish give us a summary?

This is not a review of the sound character. It focuses more on functionality and design. The author evaluates this model very positively, but at the same time emphasizes that their sound does not stand out from the competition (Eve SC205, Genelec 8010). It highlights the very low price for such quality, the lack of noise and hiss, and the rare Bluetooth. He notes that he doesn't like the unusual volume control, but he still prefers it to the one located on the back of the speaker. Draws attention to the increase in the third harmonic at the end of the woofer's operating range. He also tested the bass reflex port for noise and hiss, but found nothing. He describes the treble and upper midrange as "optimal, balanced and legible". Listening 80 cm from the speakers, Kali builds a spatial scene, credible in width, but not very clear in depth.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He also tested the bass reflex port for noise and hiss, but found nothing
He didn't look well enough, because his own measurements show a clear port resonance at 1 kHz ;)

The author evaluates this model very positively, but at the same time emphasizes that their sound does not stand out from the competition (Eve SC205, Genelec 8010)
It doesn't have to stand out ;) The 8010 is way smaller en only goes down to about 80 Hz. Size-wise, the 8020 is probably a better match, and then for that money, you get a sub thrown in at Kali. Obviously, Genelec will give you a more premium look and feel with the inert aluminum enclosures, and on distortion, they are a bit better. But I think value-wise these little Kali's are really a good deal.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
... Listening 80 cm from the speakers, Kali builds a spatial scene, credible in width, but not very clear in depth.

That's how I would use it, with the speakers on the front edge of my desk 80 cm from my ears.

As I am just a listener, I tend to discount perceived depth on multi-miked/mixed material as it's mostly just an illusion, but I do realize that might be a negative for someone producing music and trying to create the illusion.

Thanks for the translation. You may surmise from my username that I am of Polish ancestry but 4th generation Polish-American so unfortunately, speaking the language is a lost skill in our family.

I do have a question about the bottom two frequency response curves, though. What do those represent? Thanks!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do have a question about the bottom two frequency response curves, though. What do those represent? Thanks!
I can't do Polish, but I can guess ;) I think it's the full response in yellow and the nearfield woofer response in blue

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I can't do Polish, but I can guess ;) I think it's the full response in yellow and the nearfield woofer response in blue

That was my thought, too, but just wanted to be sure.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Also wondering what SPL was used to obtain those distortion graphs.

Just for comparison, Amir's THD measurements for the Genelec 8030C at 86 dB SPL are 0.2% or about -54 dB for most of the >100 Hz range, and 0.5% or -46 dB at 96 dB SPL above 150 Hz

The THD graph for the Kalis suggests they are around -36 dB/1.6% throughout the midrange.

Top Bottom