• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No point in arguing which definition is more accurate.
Sure, Who really gives a rodents behind?
Do they build reasonably high quality, accurate products?
Some better than others but Yes, they do.
"This Is The Way" ;)

Dismayed

Kimber Cable and any other similar snake oil brands.

Dimitri

The logic behind hating a consumer product because of its name escapes me.
Ok Mr. Spock :)
here on earth, love or hate need none of that logic. They are just felt. For no particular reason at all.
Just like love at first sight. Completely illogical !

egellings

Major Contributor
Don’t hate the player, hate the name.
Hate the BS ideas promulgated by the idiots instead. Of course, if a true believer truly believes that a magic power cord, interconnect or speaker cable will make his system sound better, then to him, and him alone, the system will 'sound' better. He's completed the square, factored it, and extracted the roots. Done.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An oldie but still a goody:

“Believing is hearing. That's right, if you believe you will hear a difference, then there's a good chance that you will.” — Roger Russell

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did anybody here ever see the movie "Breaking Away?"

Remember when the kid tells his dad he should give the customer a refund, and all the dad could do was keep saying "Refund! Refund?"

Or when Jim Mora answered "Playoffs??!!?? Playoffs!!!" to a reporter's question.

That's about how impactful whacking out "snake oil" has gotten.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KEF

The LS50s in particular.

Nothing against the brand in terms of quality. They clearly design excellent speakers, measure well, and I like the sound.

But my gawd KEF has become ubiquitous in the audiophile world. It's like when Bose took over for the aspiring new audiophile.

If I see one more pair of LS50's staring at me from another "Check out my new system" posts on reddit. I'm like, really, are we just done with other speakers now?

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
KEF

The LS50s in particular.

Nothing against the brand in terms of quality. They clearly design excellent speakers, measure well, and I like the sound.

But my gawd KEF has become ubiquitous in the audiophile world. It's like when Bose took over for the aspiring new audiophile.

If I see one more pair of LS50's staring at me from another "Check out my new system" posts on reddit. I'm like, really, are we just done with other speakers now?
Ah, but I lust for these chrome beauties...

kef_muon_ross_lovegrove_1_9056d4fa-f319-464d-b274-c0ddbc4f449d.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A (used) pair of Gale GS-401 loudspeakers should satisfy your chrome dreams for far less $ out of pocket :)
Ah, remember the old hot-rodder saying,
Chrome won't get ya home. ;)

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
KEF

The LS50s in particular.

I laugh as I listen to Gregory Porter’s “Christmas Wish” on my office LS50s. The banal excellence of the LS50s makes them the Honda Accord of speakers. Happy for KEF that they have sold tons of them.

Mosquito

Yup, they exist.

Topping? I mean, come on.
What is it? a pizza?

Harbeth, of course you wouldn't like to buy that. If you don't know why, have a look at HUG (Harbeth User Group).
The MICHI line from Rotel, I find the name ridiculous for a powerful amplifier, because in my native language that's what you call a kitten when you ignore the name "michi michi michi"

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wilson, D'Augostino name and insane price.

darrellc

Forum Donor
Anything with "Research" in the name. Like Shunyata Research.

And Daniel "Hertz" speakers. Looks like Putin has a pair in his palace. Milk, really?

kux1pt6ge0i61.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom