• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 80.1%

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Denon AVR-1912 does have an optical IN labelled as 'OPTICAL (TV)'. But it didn't work when I connected it to the WiiM Pro Plus.
Do you mean you connected it to the optical out of the wiim? IE to send audio to the AVR from the Wiim?

You may need to configure your AVR to use the analogue input for a particular input selection. By default it will be configured to take audio from HDMI.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks. Yes the Denon supports Airplay (v1) but I prefer to do everything with the WiiM App. Not everyone in the house has the ambition to memorize different routes for listening to music.

I've recently purchased a used Denon 2500 BT for €75 ($80). Shortly after I first heard of the WiiM Pro Plus.

The Denon AVR-1912 does have an optical IN labelled as 'OPTICAL (TV)'. But it didn't work when I connected it to the WiiM Pro Plus.

Are you sure you connected to the optical out on the Wiim Pro Plus? It also has an optical in and they are right next to each other.

Doublej

Thanks. Yes the Denon supports Airplay (v1) but I prefer to do everything with the WiiM App. Not everyone in the house has the ambition to memorize different routes for listening to music.

I've recently purchased a used Denon 2500 BT for €75 ($80). Shortly after I first heard of the WiiM Pro Plus.

Optical In on the Denon could be used to send the signal from the WiiM to the Denon. It will not send the signal from the Denon to the WiiM.

Confused

Are you sure you connected to the optical out on the Wiim Pro Plus? It also has an optical in and they are right next to each other.
Optical out is working! Yes, all was connected the right way, but in the Denon menu I had to assign 'OPT' to a port.

When using OPTICAL OUT (of the WiiM Pro Plus) is the DAC of the WiiM Pro Plus bypassed? And all other connections use the WiiM DAC?

staticV3

Master Contributor
When using OPTICAL OUT (of the WiiM Pro Plus) is the DAC of the WiiM Pro Plus bypassed? And all other connections use the WiiM DAC?
A DAC converts digital to analog. It is only in use for analog output.

GiBo61

But even so - probably not possible to hear the difference in real world listening.
I partially agree with you, however I guess it depends on the difference between the two DACs. For example, the DAC in my Denon DRA800H (built in 2019) has, according to Amir's review, a SINAD of -85 db, that is 30 db difference with the one of Wiim Pro Plus.!!! I cannot say for sure I hear a difference, I never made a seriously controlled A-B test.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I partially agree with you, however I guess it depends on the difference between the two DACs. For example, the DAC in my Denon DRA800H (built in 2019) has, according to Amir's review, a SINAD of -85 db, that is 30 db difference with the one of Wiim Pro Plus.!!! I cannot say for sure I hear a difference, I never made a seriously controlled A-B test.
Point is - when you get past about 80 to 85dB, you are already at the point the flaws are smaller than the human auditory system can detect in real world listening.

In fact - if you look at the Klippel listening test results, the vast majority of people can't hear distortion below about -45dB.
(Feel free to try for yourself - listeningtest)

Sure - put people in a lab, listening to test tones in otherwise perfect silence, using headphones, then a tiny minority of 8 to 20 year olds might be able to detect something in the region of -115dB (The absolute threshold of the human auditory system)

But with real music, in real listening rooms, with speakers and typical ambient noise levels, then -80dB is already way beyond what most people can hear.

radix

Major Contributor

I have the Anthem STR preamp. When listening to an analog in with DSP vs direct, I can hear the noise -- if the output is turned way up to 0dB output (driving mono AHB2 into Revel F228be, 90dB/2.83v/m) and my ear is near the speaker. At the level the preamp was set (which is way louder than I ever listen), its likely the equivalent of 300w output, at 90dB/w/m and about 0.5-1 meter away.... let's just say I would not want my ear there playing music. If I turn the preamp down to a volume I might listen at during a party (say -10 dB on the preamp), I have to have my ear right up against the speaker.

For someone with less sensitive speakers or less amplification, it would not be easy to hear.

According to their published specs, that's a 108 dB vs 120 dB SNR difference. The hiss I heard was closer to high frequency hiss (maybe 4k and above), so I don't know how the preamp DSP vs direct differs at those frequencies.

Screen Shot 2024-02-15 at 9.24.46 AM.png

Tangband

Major Contributor

Wild 7

Hi,

I am going to buy a WIIM Pro as a streamer and sending signal out to a external DAC with only AES/EBU or input, would the SPDIF output of the WIIM Pro able to drive the DAC with an adapter or an RCA - AES/EBU cable ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
would the SPDIF output of the WIIM Pro able to drive the DAC with an adapter or an RCA - AES/EBU cable ?
Yes.

I would first try a simple RCA->XLR cable as that's cheaper.

If you get a spotty signal that way, then a proper Coax->AES3 converter should do the job.

Wild 7

Thank you for your advice

I will go for the cable option first, any recommendations ?

radix

Major Contributor
Thank you for your advice

I will go for the cable option first, any recommendations ?
You can get most any RCA to BNC cable. I used to use the "Kopul Premium Series BNC Male to RCA Male Cable (6 ft)" from my computer to a KH750 AES input. Cost about $10. For such a short distance, the specific cable impedance will not matter. I'm assuming this is a BNC connector, not AES XLR?

EDIT: Maybe it was XLR? You could try this Monoprice RCA to XLR. The important thing is pin 3 is tied to ground. https://a.co/d/jm3Bytp

Last edited:

Wild 7

Just out of curiosity what dac only has AES3 input?
It’s a SMSL DO300, it gots SPDIF, Toslink, USB B, AES/EBU and I2S(HDMI) inputs, but since the SPDIF and the USB are using by the CD player and iPad, whereas WIIM Pro only has digital out of SPDIF and Toslink, therefore the most convenient approach would be SPDIF to AES/EBU.

Wild 7

You can get most any RCA to BNC cable. I used to use the "Kopul Premium Series BNC Male to RCA Male Cable (6 ft)" from my computer to a KH750 AES input. Cost about $10. For such a short distance, the specific cable impedance will not matter. I'm assuming this is a BNC connector, not AES XLR?

EDIT: Maybe it was XLR? You could try this Monoprice RCA to XLR. The important thing is pin 3 is tied to ground. https://a.co/d/jm3Bytp
Thanks for your advice, but seems Monoprice is out of stock currently.

I’d spot a QED and a IXOS on eBay, which one would be a better choice to you ?

Top Bottom