• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA to RCA or RCA to XLR - Any difference?

Lambda

Major Contributor
three and a half types of XLR outputs:
i would say even more.

You have the Transformer like high common mode impedance output that behaves like a transformer output but can only have view volts swing with recept to gnd

And you have XLR outputs that are not balanced and not symmetrical only one pin is driven and the other pin is sorted to gnd.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From WBC regarding my Canare cable. Am I good?

Hello Doug,

They are wired as follows :)

L-4E6S has 4x wires and a shield.

RCA Tip ----- XLR Pin 2 [for this connection, 2 wires are used]
RCA Sleeve ----- XLR Pin 1 & 3 [for this connection, 2 wires and the shield are used]

Apart from there are 4 wires instead of 2 wires, everything you have mentioned in your message is correct.

Warm regards,
WBC

I asked them if it was wired like this:

- 2 wires + shield cable ("microphone" cable)
- wire RCA tip to XLR pin 2
- wire RCA shield to XLR pin 3
- shield RCA shield to XLR pin 1

Well, looks like we're good here. Thanks for the responses!

Last edited:

napfkuchen

I would like to connect a pair of active speakers with XLR input to the RCA preouts of my Denon X3800.
Is this cable suitable or should I look for an alternative?

Chazz6

I would like to connect a pair of active speakers with XLR input to the RCA preouts of my Denon X3800.
Looks okay. I did something similar, connecting the RCA outs of a preamp to the XLR input of an amplifier. Got the cable from Castline (U.S).

staticV3

Master Contributor
That cable shorts XLR Cold to GND right at the XLR cable, which is not ideal and may result in increased electrical interference noise, since it negates the XLR input's CMRR.
terminaldiagram-mc.png

A better way to construct such a cable is to connect XLR Cold to GND inside the RCA plug:
47774.png
Monoprice builds its cables like this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777

And the ideal cable has some additional resistors inside to match the Denon's output impedance.

The resulting impedance-balanced connection has all the noise-cancelling attributes of a proper XLR->XLR connection, despite using RCA single-ended output.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
This one happens to be a lottery, official drawing says it's wrongly wired but the one I bought was properly done. Look for alternative

napfkuchen

Thanks for your tips. Since it is there, I will try it with the Coridal cable first and switch to the Monoprice if necessary.
And the ideal cable has some additional resistors inside to match the Denon's output impedance.

The resulting impedance-balanced connection has all the noise-cancelling attributes of a proper XLR->XLR connection, despite using RCA single-ended output.
Hopefully one of the first two solutions is satisfactory. This sounds like it would be difficult/impossible for me to implement. :facepalm::confused:

So this should work like the monoprice cable? (just comparing the numbers in the schematics ...)
schematics.jpg

Last edited:

napfkuchen

Ah, sorry. Thanks for patience. It's difficult to purchase monoprice products in Europe, thankfully amazon.com lists them.

Top Bottom