• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cat News?

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes I’m sure my indoor cats would take the chance to see the world and get lost and never return if they got out. Plus we have coyotes so the first night outdoors they would likely be taken not having any street smarts.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I’m sure my indoor cats would take the chance to see the world and get lost and never return if they got out. Plus we have coyotes so the first night outdoors they would likely be taken not having any street smarts.
Yes. I have those commercial-grade door 'slammers' installed in three of the doors to the outside.
You see? If the cat ever got out of the house, the missus would lock me up in the dog-house litter-box for a few days.
And she knows how repulsive my nose feels about #$%@ cat-urine. aaaaah-choooo!

Neddy

- 8F outside this morning.
Tigger (the feral visitor) has his choice of three different huts: 'heated & insulated', '(over) heated', or unheated.
He did try the overheated mat in the hut behind the pictures briefly, but maybe only bc I'd put food in there to keep it from freezing.
Last night I moved his normal food bowls inside his (preferred) hut where he spent the night.
When I went to pick up his metal outdoor bowl it stuck to my hand...had to shake it loose!
Here he is having breakfast and curling up for a nap after a mad dash to go potty.
I think this mildly heated pad will keep his food thawed at least until he finishes it.
At least this frigid weather keeps the racoons (and possums) away from his food.
D03F2792F73C_1705241746_album_local.jpg
D03F2792F73C_1705243878_album_local.jpg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My rescue babies I got back in April. We're settling in to watch some football.

PXL_20240114_124758047.jpg

Gray Belle was a shelter cat for more than 7 of her @10 years, and Carrots for 1.5 of his @3 years.

They are indoor cats, but I have a patio with a small area outside that I've cat proofed for them, so they can feel the dirt under their feet and lay in the sun. They love it out there.

PXL_20230707_231454729.jpg

PXL_20230805_160006767.jpg

Rick63

My local SPCA just took in 3 brothers, 5 months old. They named them Moe, Larry, and Curly. No pics yet but I can't wait to see them.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1706805087553148.jpg

"Where is the 'nip, Karsten?"

35-Cats-with-Totally-Cool-Markings-10700.jpg

Austrian cat.

yqctZfB.jpeg

:D

Rick63

There are several stray cats around the neighborhood, especially at the apartment building across the street. I've been feeding a male and female couple for almost a year now, and only in the last few weeks have I finally got him to approach me and let me pet him. She's still extremely skiddish.

I don't know how rare it is, but he has an extra toe on all four feet.

20240203_112430.jpg
20240203_112421.jpg

Neddy

Great work!!
More than a decade ago I started with cardboard, and have slowly progressed up to 'nearly insane' levels of housing recently.
My upper deck is a cat magnet (south facing, great 'watching perch') so I've been evolving my understanding of what works and doesn't (aside from Just Shelter, which they all appreciate, almost as much as Just Food).
Here are the lastest two 'condos', one with two rooms (and has an escape hatch out the back).
The feral I call Tigger has tried the two room model, but seems to prefer the One Big Room version, but it's early days yet.
He usually spends late morning early afternoon napping and eating and goes out hunting/exploring all night.
(I'm testing a variety of huts, have 6 or 7 of them so far, and a few conclusions...in general the more you spend the more you get, like some other pastime of mine.) :)
The reason for the 'apartment block' set up is bc he has a 'wife' - last year I saw her bring kittens in to the yard (he stood by guarding them!), but by the time I got out to rescue them she'd left with them, and only returned once to look at the food but left without eating.
SO, I'm hoping the 'extra' luxurious second condo may prompt him to bring her and (maybe?) this year's brood there?
Both have gas strutted lids of real roofing material, heated pads, towels for hugging, and wireless cameras in them.
IMG_0329cr.png

and Tigger enjoy his hot side/cold side 'napping palace' for the first time, figuring out how to modify his temperature on/off the heat pad.
D03F2792F73C_1706973529_album_local.jpg