• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70 Pro Sabre DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 12.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 81.8%

• Total voters

Bleib

Major Contributor
how much is the review of the new d90 to compare it with this one?
Amir delivers

cochinada

@amirm or whoever can explain it to me please.
In some (older?) reviews, SINAD vs Volume Level shows on the x axis Vrms but in other reviews like for instance this one, the X axis is showing Time and there is also a 2nd Y axis. How to read this?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In terms of performance and feature set, this really is the DAC to beat. The only thing that would make it better (although only useful to a small subset of users) would be I2S over HDMI. I don’t think parametric EQ or room correction are feasible in this kind of product. That’s in the same realm as wishing for Ethernet and streaming/server features. It’s just more appropriate in a different kind of component.

cochinada

Mine is on its way. I opted for this Sabre model but some dudes on Youtube talk better about the Octo. Sadly it was not reviewed by @amirm

Last edited:

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
I opted for this Sabre model but some dudes on Youtube talke better about the Octo. Sadly it was not reviewed by @amirm
I have the "Quad", as the D30 Pro could have been named. It sounds quite good.

Reactions: MBO

MBO

Mine is on its way. I opted for this Sabre model but some dudes on Youtube talk better about the Octo. Sadly it was not reviewed by @amirm
I installed a new power supply in the Octo, it now sounds much better than before.

IMG_20240124_233211.jpg

MBO

Is this a "regular" power supply or have you considered using ultra capacitors?
This is a high quality 5V 5A impulse power supply, nothing else. Another thing that Topping probably uses is cheap RC components, which of course affects the sound quality. I have a Amari DAC with a similar structure 8x CS43198, which has better sound quality.

cochinada

This is a high quality 5V 5A impulse power supply, nothing else. Another thing that Topping probably uses is cheap RC components, which of course affects the sound quality. I have a Amari DAC with a similar structure 8x CS43198, which has better sound quality.
You mean this one costing roughly 5x more?

MBO

You mean this one costing roughly 5x more?
Yes, Amari costs five times more, but the sound quality is not in relation to the price. I can say that Amari is currently the ultimate in the market, I have hardly heard anything better.
But!! D70 Octo would be a great offer at its price.

Veri

Master Contributor
I installed a new power supply in the Octo, it now sounds much better than before.

View attachment 345062
Doubtful.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got an D70 Pro Octo today. Its 5.2v and all file formats work, no pops or other problems. It's flawless but I'd be willing to bet the slow filters don't roll off like the original AK4499 D90 does. Doesn't run hot or even warm after a few hours. The VU meter is cool for 5 minutes then with the auto off screen to prevent burn in it's just a momentary novelty. Same form factor, so easy to stack with existing A90/D90's etc. If you have an amp that can handle 5(.2) volt mode then I think some reviewers might notice a lower noise floor if they're used to 4v, but other than that it's just like any other 120+ SINAD DAC. I've got another A70 Pro amp coming in a few days. I've had it and on the balanced end it's Ampzilla.
Now I'm going to re-hook up my SMSL DL200 and Topping A30Pro which I got for $300 total, and get back to feeling smug :) If the HE6se is your white whale, or you just want to stay in low gain mode permanently with anything else on balanced, the A70 Pro/D70 Octo is a solid choice.

octo a90 stack.jpg

Mark K

Congrats on the new DAC...I myself also placed an order for an Eversolo A8 to use with my A90...

HexWaves

I just got an D70 Pro Octo today. Its 5.2v and all file formats work, no pops or other problems. It's flawless but I'd be willing to bet the slow filters don't roll off like the original AK4499 D90 does. Doesn't run hot or even warm after a few hours. The VU meter is cool for 5 minutes then with the auto off screen to prevent burn in it's just a momentary novelty. Same form factor, so easy to stack with existing A90/D90's etc. If you have an amp that can handle 5(.2) volt mode then I think some reviewers might notice a lower noise floor if they're used to 4v, but other than that it's just like any other 120+ SINAD DAC. I've got another A70 Pro amp coming in a few days. I've had it and on the balanced end it's Ampzilla.
Now I'm going to re-hook up my SMSL DL200 and Topping A30Pro which I got for $300 total, and get back to feeling smug :) If the HE6se is your white whale, or you just want to stay in low gain mode permanently with anything else on balanced, the A70 Pro/D70 Octo is a solid choice.

View attachment 346930Hey! As a fellow owner of the D90 / A90 stack, do you find any real sonic differences from the D90 to the D70 Octo? It seems really awesome and I’m looking to maybe getting one soon, ESS has always sounded brighter to me in a side by side with my older SU-8 but it may have just been the implementation of it which is why I’m reluctant to get another ESS DAC. Cheers, I hope to hear from you soon! :)

judgedredd94

I just purchased the Topping A70 Pro to replace my old amp, and I use the Denafrips Ares II as a DAC (I know). Will there be any audible difference if I switch the DAC to the Topping D70 Pro ? Or should I stay with the Denafrips ? I have the budget, so the cost isn't an issue.

AdrianusG

I just purchased the Topping A70 Pro to replace my old amp, and I use the Denafrips Ares II as a DAC (I know). Will there be any audible difference if I switch the DAC to the Topping D70 Pro ? Or should I stay with the Denafrips ? I have the budget, so the cost isn't an issue.
Like many times stated here before, measurable probably yes, (Topping will measure slightly better) Audible, likely no difference, unless 1 of them is under-performing/broken/ malfunctioning in one way or another.

guyboisvert

Great dac.:)

Some mild criticism :
Why implementing bluetooth ? This protocol has nothing to do with high fidelity, - it would have been really great If there was DLNA , Wi-Fi and Airplay compability.

But I guess one cant have it all for this price.
We know it's not the best in audio quality but it's very handy when you have, for example, a friend who wants to play songs for you from his phone / PC / Tablet!

Top Bottom