• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
FB_IMG_1706388342655.jpg

Jim Creek

The Monitor Audio Silver 100 Gen 6 in the Rosenut wood finish is by far THE most beautiful speaker ever made due to its wood finish and simple elegance.
The red-ish wood finish sets off the silver woofer and tweeter drivers. Gorgeous!
IMG_0673.jpeg

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
The Monitor Audio Silver 100 Gen 6 in the Rosenut wood finish is by far THE most beautiful speaker ever made due to its wood finish and simple elegance.
The red-ish wood finish sets off the silver woofer and tweeter drivers. Gorgeous! View attachment 347079
I was fond of the MA Silver 6G overall. Really liked the Oak that was never really available in the US according to dealers and the distributor. The darker Walnut finish was also very attractive.
ma_silver-500_iso_naturaloak_pair_1gr.jpg
ma_silver-500_iso_walnut_pair_1gr.jpg

Nitpicking a little, but felt the 7g took a step backwards in finish. *shrugs

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The red-ish wood finish sets off the silver woofer and tweeter drivers. Gorgeous! View attachment 347079

Subjective preference is always interesting, and of course plenty of people wouldn't share my own taste. But that speaker to me looks "ok," but mostly just plain and somewhat boring. (Doesn't help that I'm not a fan of red at all, generally speaking, and for loudspeakers in particular. Maybe if it had nicer, warmer wood finish it would look more compelling for me).

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
far THE most beautiful speaker ever made
After over a hundred high gloss finishes a box is pretty darn simple to cover, finish and buff. The problem is getting the two part on the
cabinet, waiting to sand and applying the next coat. The bigger the cabinet the more work it is. It's EXTREMELY labor intensive and extremely
toxic for the painter, either painting because of the ingestion into any leaks in the respirator and the dust from sanding the finish for a
finish coat or a final sanding. Buffing what is left is an art also. Those tiny swirl marks are because of a dirty buffing cloth. The other option
is to be able to put the finish coat on perfect. It's not easy if your not in a controlled booth.

A LOT of the current beauties are "wrapped". People mistake a wrap for something you can buff or refinish. LOL Simple rule, 20 years in the sun
or 50 in the shade, the wrap will fail. Paint is different you can use acrylics for almost any repair and if you're good enough you can even age the
color or clear coat to match perfect and feather the repair, then machine or hand buff. My actual shoulders, elbows, wrist bones are bone on
bone behind decades of respective usage and impact work.

I'd kiss every labor on the planet if I could for their service. I wouldn't have done anything different but I sure paid the price.
I have 3 good disk left in my neck and back, that was some good news two weeks ago. Needles to say no more 150lb one arm lifts
to put heads on engines anymore. My shoulders sounds like rice krispies anyway.

I've done some super high gloss plinth builds too. Russco's, Thoren TD124s and the typical Garrard 301/401 50 pounders. Paint and
finish is a time consuming process not well suited for my OCD tendencies. People alway got way to much for their money. :)

Nothing is like a beautiful Steinway premier finish in "Steinway black." I painted 3 1940s grand Ps. We didn't have power tools for block
or color sanding. It was ALL by hand and by God. Did I mention I HATE PAINTING including F&$Kin' nail polish.

Time to feed the chickens. Beauregard (the rooster) is giving me the eye. If you didn't know Beauregard was the guy that started the
uncivil war by firing on Fort Somner. That rooster has the same friggin' attitude. The neighbors cat found out in short order. LOL

I told the rooster if he had any balls he'd make a run for it, he told me why run, I have 12 hens, 4 squares, a retirement plan and
you're dumb enough to keep feedin' me. BTW Cock-a doodle-do when there's a full moon. He hasn't figured that one out yet.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Subjective preference is always interesting, and of course plenty of people wouldn't share my own taste. But that speaker to me looks "ok," but mostly just plain and somewhat boring. (Doesn't help that I'm not a fan of red at all, generally speaking, and for loudspeakers in particular. Maybe if it had nicer, warmer wood finish it would look more compelling for me).
Compared to finer cabinets that we see in the likes of Sonus Faber, for example, or what Salk used to build, I completely agree these are nothing to write home about. They are boxes with a clean veneer; end of story. ;)
6 years ago at the price of ~US$1500 per tower, iirc, they were comparatively among the nicer options on the market . YMMV. :)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Compared to finer cabinets that we see in the likes of Sonus Faber, for example, or what Salk used to build, I completely agree these are nothing to write home about. They are boxes with a clean veneer; end of story. ;)
6 years ago at the price of ~US$1500 per tower, iirc, they were comparatively among the nicer options on the market . YMMV. :)
Yep, I see a million of similar speakers in audio stores. Nothing that stands out at all.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Compared to finer cabinets that we see in the likes of Sonus Faber, for example, or what Salk used to build, I completely agree these are nothing to write home about.

I was often less than impressed with the acoustic designs of Salk speakers (the MO seemed to be showcase expensive drivers without regard to off-axis response consistency) but some of the finishes were superb. I liked their “sunburst” quite a bit in the abstract, though I also wonder if that’s a “guy music geek” thing and also how they’d blend with other “statement” type furniture.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I was often less than impressed with the acoustic designs of Salk speakers (the MO seemed to be showcase expensive drivers without regard to off-axis response consistency) but some of the finishes were superb. I liked their “sunburst” quite a bit in the abstract, though I also wonder if that’s a “guy music geek” thing and also how they’d blend with other “statement” type furniture.
Word I had was that they didn't, at least for a while, have the capability to do a full wrap veneer that didn't have seams, so the Sunburst was their way of disguising that. But then I also had heard separately that it had to do with the roundover edges...
The Speakers I have which were built in Jim's shop, 2019, have chamfered edges and those are veneered and finished.
*shrugs

Jim does seem to like premium Drivers. :)
I don't know how much of a hand Dennis Murphy had in shaping the complete Speaker, but I know Dennis's preference for good directivity and very wide dispersion. Likewise, Dennis is very talented at XO design. Paul K was brought in to optimize the cabinet and ports in many instances, and especially for any Transmission Line design.

Top Bottom