• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choice Opt Topping LA90d

sthaus

Dear all,

I’m currently in situation of making decision of 2 opts buying power amp for a FL speakers and a pair bookshelf 86-88db sensitive (8 & 4 ohm respectively)

1/ 2 x Topping LA90d (mono)
2/ 1 x Topping LA90d + Pre90 (stereo)

Which opt might be the best, please kindly recommended me. Your comments are very important to me ! Please help me !

Note: I also like the Schitt Vidar 2 as well for a design over Topping but seems Topping has good specs and insane measurement with flat freq. Some mentioned that Topping is lack of emotion, dry and not touch ?? But I think just because of Flat Freq!?? Perhaps we can EQ?

Regards
Steve

Last edited:

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You will not get too many here on ASR to talk about "dry" sound and distinct subjective analysis. What you can see is that all the above Topping products, as well as the Vidar, measured well in Amir's tests, the Toppings more so, and all were recommended.

That said, while I have not heard issues about the Pre90, there is a thread on this forum about quality issues with the LA90D which you may want to read, as it would cause me some concern at that price point: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...reliability-of-the-topping-la90d.45005/page-5

OP
S

sthaus

You will not get too many here on ASR to talk about "dry" sound and distinct subjective analysis. What you can see is that all the above Topping products, as well as the Vidar, measured well in Amir's tests, the Toppings more so, and all were recommended.

That said, while I have not heard issues about the Pre90, there is a thread on this forum about quality issues with the LA90D which you may want to read, as it would cause me some concern at that price point: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...reliability-of-the-topping-la90d.45005/page-5
I did read the reviews of both, Vidar is great with warranty up to 5 years and I’m kind of liking their design than Topping. I’m pretty sure they proud of the quality of their products even I found 4x of cheap capacitors 63v 10000uf in their design. I don’t mind Chinese Amp, but buy with luck.. they seems don’t have QC system and far away from us. Shenz offers 2 yrs I think this is all about.

For the power output, do you think the opt 2 can satisfy my speakers above ?!! I usually listen music from 85-95db depends on the genres

Thanks

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
For the power output, do you think the opt 2 can satisfy my speakers above ?!! I usually listen music from 85-95db depends on the genres
You haven't advised what specific speakers you're referring to.

JSmith

OP
S

sthaus

You haven't advised what specific speakers you're referring to.

JSmith
As mentioned from 1st thread, I have 2 pair
of speaker … Floor and Bookshelf. In details, FL is Canton Chrono 509 around 87-88dB sensitive 8ohm and Bookshelf is Musician Knight 4ohm 86dB . Thanks

Note: I got 2xcheap sabaj a20a 2022 setup for mono at 350w(ea) connect direct to DAC ess3039Pro. However, sound is dull .. lack of dynamic, compare to other stereo setup on my 2nd system with yamaha amp

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
FL is Canton Chrono 509 around 87-88dB sensitive 8ohm and Bookshelf is Musician Knight 4ohm 86dB
Canton;

Power160 - 320 Watts

These are going to need some decent power... the LA90D doesn't output much power in stereo @8R;

index.php

Even bridged @4R below, may be around half that @8R;

index.php

Have you considered a Hypex or Purifi based amp instead? Much more power on tap and generally excellent to superb measurements.

JSmith

OP
S

sthaus

Canton;

Power160 - 320 Watts

These are going to need some decent power... the LA90D doesn't output much power in stereo @8R;

index.php

Even bridged @4R below, may be around half that @8R;

index.php

Have you considered a Hypex or Purifi based amp instead? Much more power on tap and generally excellent to superb measurements.

JSmith
No luck with even preamp, you think ? My current Sabaj provides 350w per channel but really suck at clarity and missing sparkle on top end regions even thought my Canton Chrono is a bright speaker.

Which Hypex amp you recommended for under 1.5k (usd) .. I’m from aus ..the local audio retailer is too dear (greedy)

Thanks

JSmith

Master Contributor
Which Hypex amp you recommended for under 1.5k (usd)
There are plenty from OS, maybe check out Buckeye from the US, Audiophonics from France or more premium build Boxem.
I’m from aus ..the local audio retailer is too dear (greedy)
I hear you mate. ;)

All that said, there is probably nothing wrong with the Sabaj (Infineon class D)... unless it has some load dependency. Maybe it rolls off in the higher frequency area.

It may be an idea to get a Umik-1 and take some measurements... see what you can do with EQ, or look at some different speakers. Here are some measurements, although not at Klippel level, but some indication;

JSmith

OP
S

sthaus

There are plenty from OS, maybe check out Buckeye from the US, Audiophonics from France or more premium build Boxem.

I hear you mate. ;)

All that said, there is probably nothing wrong with the Sabaj (Infineon class D)... unless it has some load dependency. Maybe it rolls off in the higher frequency area.

It may be an idea to get a Umik-1 and take some measurements... see what you can do with EQ, or look at some different speakers. Here are some measurements, although not at Klippel level, but some indication;

JSmith
Oi oi !!! I can hear your call JSmith ! I will check the website. Thanks

I usually do EQ via Roon or a Tube pre-amp for long listening session.

I might try Umik-1 measurement on the weekends ... I haven't been touched it for a long since my last OB built in 2021 during covid year. Canton Chrono is my old mate for a very long time 15 years or more maybe and it's still my old virgin friend for Rock (I haven't opened it yet; XO cap might need to check).

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another amp to consider would be:

Or one of the many Hypex-based amps out there.

OP
S

sthaus

They look nice Zz many thanks .. I will read check it out

OP
S

sthaus

The design looks nice and clean, the only thing I don't like it that lack of connectivity ports (only 1 XLR). There are 2 Mono blocks in 1 unit and provide only 120W per/8R, even less than 2 mono Topping LA90d (220Wper /8R). According to JSmith, it may not shine my Canton (160W-180W). Furthermore, Chinese amp compares to Chinese amps, does it provide better sound than Topping or Sabaj, this is my main concerns?

Last edited:
Top Bottom