• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Brad1138

Yes. However, you should make sure that the cable is configured correctly.
When you do RCA->XLR, then both XLR1&3 should be tied to RCA GND.
Conversely, XLR->RCA should leave XLR3 floating (disconnected) and only use XLR1&2.

Even then, a performance penalty can be expected varying from slightly higher distortion (example) to slightly increased DC offset (example), all the way to drastically higher HD (example) depending on how the output stage is designed.
In regards to the potential performance issues, as long as it isn't audible to a 56 year old with mediocre hearing and tinnitus, I am not worried about it.

Last edited:

b407driver

Quick question for someone who has recently received a new ADI-2 DAC FS from a seller/distributor likely to be receiving newly-manufactured stock: what was your serial number (prefix, whatever), and what is the version of the printed manual? I just received mine (very impressed!, currently drinking from the proverbial firehouse), and the manual is v3.0 (I believe the first update from the switch to Ess chip). I know the PDF version is at v3.3.

Secondarily, is there any document that shows the manual changes between revisions only? Trying to figure out what has been superceded/changed since the v3.0 paper manual (paper luddite, I know), without reading the entirety of the new manual.

Thanks in advance!

G-rig

What about confirming the unit is a revised model or not, should be something in the serial number (I assume). I would just ask them. As you say the newer models have the ess chip, don't know if any other changes but no doubt somewhere in this thread.

b407driver

What about confirming the unit is a revised model or not, should be something in the serial number (I assume). I would just ask them. As you say the newer models have the ess chip, don't know if any other changes but no doubt somewhere in this thread.
My question regards sorting the different versions of the manual (I have read the v3 paper version included with the unit). I know it is vC with an ESS chip and I don't care one way or the other. I obviously have updated the firmware to current, but am trying to figure out how to discover the new (and salient) changes to the v3.3 (current) manual, compared to my paper version. Perhaps @MC_RME could elaborate?

G-rig

what feature or setting are you worried about?
Agree, The latest PDF and firmware is what I'd be using.. done.

gvl

Major Contributor
I imagine the pdf may be trailing behind the firmware, there is a firmware change log on RME forums somewhere.

Yuhasz01

Quick question for someone who has recently received a new ADI-2 DAC FS from a seller/distributor likely to be receiving newly-manufactured stock: what was your serial number (prefix, whatever), and what is the version of the printed manual? I just received mine (very impressed!, currently drinking from the proverbial firehouse), and the manual is v3.0 (I believe the first update from the switch to Ess chip). I know the PDF version is at v3.3.

Secondarily, is there any document that shows the manual changes between revisions only? Trying to figure out what has been superceded/changed since the v3.0 paper manual (paper luddite, I know), without reading the entirety of the new manual.

Thanks in advance!
Check RME Forum site for this information

b407driver

Check RME Forum site for this information

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 17.52.38.jpg

No meaningful results. I see firmware revision descriptions, I see DAC revision descriptions (exhaustively described everywhere), but I find nothing about the manual versions, when they came out, thus what new features/changes apply to any given unit and the paper manual they come with.

Based upon your response I'd assume you are familiar with the forums there, so perhaps you know where I might find this information? Apologies if I missed it, I have indeed looked before I asked.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 343399

No meaningful results. I see firmware revision descriptions, I see DAC revision descriptions (exhaustively described everywhere), but I find nothing about the manual versions, when they came out, thus what new features/changes apply to any given unit and the paper manual they come with.

Based upon your response I'd assume you are familiar with the forums there, so perhaps you know where I might find this information? Apologies if I missed it, I have indeed looked before I asked.
Just put that into Google and it'll find the manual for you. Actually, put rme first.

Last edited:

b407driver

what feature or setting are you worried about?
Agree, The latest PDF and firmware is what I'd be using.. done.
As a new owner of this fine piece of equipment, I don't know how to answer that without knowing what has been changed.

Again, I read the paper manual, and at this point my only recourse is to read the v3.3 manual PDF in its entirety to possibly discover where the differences are (can't say I'm familiar enough with the paper version for that to be effective, and definitely not efficient). And, part of the relevance of my question was to try to determine roughly when mine was manufactured, such that I might be able to backtrack to know what was changed. For all I know my unit has been sitting at B&H since the initial ESS revision, and people are currently receiving v3.3 printed manuals... but alas, no one has responded to that part of the question. I'm not the guy that doesn't look at the manual and out of laziness expects others to blindly answer a bunch of stupid questions for me (for example, yes, I know I have an ESS chip, and I know how to determine it; I know where to find the v3.3 PDF, I have it; no I don't want the AKM chip, for whatever reason; and no, I don't expect RME to add 5 more EQ bands, and I know why they won't.)

New user, I know, but... man, rough crowd. I'll go check the RME forum again, perhaps I'd have more luck asking over there.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
and people are currently receiving v3.3 printed manuals...
No, they don't. Manuals are printed in bigger quantities to keep the price low. Our firmware updates are much quicker, so the printed manual is always late.

You are looking for changes that don't exist - in hardware. All changes in the manual represent changes in the firmware. And those are documented in the readme that comes with the Firmware Update Tool. As to the manual: v 3.3 added the ADI-2 Remote app chapter. 3.2 added battery regulatory notes. 3.1 included the firmware changes of DSP 49, like +-12 dB Bass/Treble and Load Volume option. So not that much change.

Last edited:

TK33

So not that much change.
But the changes were significant. Adding B/T to EQ presets was very useful to me and the ADI-2 remote, in my opinion, was a game changer in terms so making the ADI-2 DAC much easier to work with. Appreciate how RME continues to make these types of improvements.

b407driver

No, they don't. Manuals are printed in bigger quantities to keep the price low. Our firmware updates are much quicker, so the printed manual is always late.

You are looking for changes that don't exist - in hardware. All changes in the manual represent changes in the firmware. And those are documented in the readme that comes with the Firmware Update Tool. As to the manual: v 3.3 added the ADI-2 Remote app chapter. 3.2 added battery regulatory notes. 3.1 included the firmware changes of DSP 49, like +-12 dB Bass/Treble and Load Volume option. So not that much change.
Thank you, that's the perspective I needed. And, I very much appreciate how much you put into that amazing manual (I've truly seen none better), it is appreciated by many!

asrUser

I also like to read printed manuals, but here you could miss some of the changes. You could also read the latest manual on E-Readers. Just use Calibre to convert the PDF.

Top Bottom