• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING D90 III Sabre DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 7.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 97 25.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 238 63.3%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the TOPPING D90 III Sabre balanced stereo DAC. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $899.
Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC USB Review.jpg

As you can see, the design is what we have know about most of the Topping products. I do wish at this price that we had a high resolution display that showed VU meters and such. Usability would be better that way although the included remote is easy to use. Back panel is as you would expect:
Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC USB Sabre Review.jpg

Nice to see Topping continuing to provide trigger support for automatic turn on of the downstream amplifiers and such.

TOPPING D90 III Sabre Measurements
The DAC has two output setting modes. One that provides max of 5 volts nominal and one that is 4 volts. For fairness I tested using the latter. DAC was allowed to warm up which improved its performance by about 1 dB.

As usual, we start with our dashboard:
Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC XLR Measurement.png

This is the best performance we have seen from Topping and is in a virtual tie with the previous king of DAC SINAD measurements:
best stereo dac review balanced 2024.png

RCA performance is still superb and fully transparent:
Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC RCA Measurement.png

Dynamic range is exceptional as you would imagine as it is setting the SINAD:
Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC DNR Measurement.png

Multitone shows the exceptionally low distortion:
Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC XLR Multitone Measurement.png

As does 50 Hz response for compatibility with other sites using it:
Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC 50 Hz stereophile Measurement.png

Jitter could be a hair better given the performance elsewhere:
Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC Jitter Measurement.png

IMD performance is excellent:
Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC XLR IMD Measurement.png

Linearity is perfect:
Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC Linearity Measurement.png

We have the typical filters but I would stay with default (F3):
Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC XLR Filter Measurement.png

Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC XLR Filter Frequency Response Measurement.png

The filter selection impacts wideband THD+N measurements so I stayed with the default:
Topping D90 III Balanced Stereo DAC XLR THD vs Frequency Measurement.png

Story is told....

Conclusions
Topping aimed to capture the top spot in the rankings and it got there, besting every other DAC it has produced, albeit with very small margin. If the cost is not a concern and you are buying a new DAC, might as well opt for D90 III.

I am happy to recommend the TOPPING D90 III Sabre.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

daniboun

Major Contributor
SOTA perf )
Dont get me wrong but the SMSL D6s reaches 123.5db Sinad with 5v (max volume) with XLR outs @ $200 )))

Attachments

• 1705564481213.png
    1705564481213.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 565

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Technically perfect.

At this price range I would start looking into eg RME with tons of features, good HP amp, excellent customer support and quality.

If Topping wants to play in that league they have to work on the latter two.

Edit. Or even latter 5 ie everything but SINAD ;-)

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Again great performance from Topping but personally I don't see anything that would justify the extra $500.
The performance race is done and won, personally I can't wait for manufacturers like Topping to focus more on design and features and try to differentiate in that way instead of the 0.1 extra SINAD.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is a separate thread in which the op said that these III devices (D90 and D50) would be upgraded to have EQ capability. Any additional information on that?
No, I was not told about this.

dumbsuck

@amirm are the filter names/colors correct? According to the ES9039PRO datasheet, "Minimum Phase" and "Linear Apodizing" should not be as slow as the graphs here show. Also, "Slow Minimum" and "Min Phase Slow" sound like they should be the same filter, but clearly are shown not to be the same, and "Slow Minimum" has a surprisingly fast roll-off for a "slow" filter

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I've been looking forward to this test for a while, and read it with some anticipation.

They've succeeded in their very focussed mission to make the cleanest and quietest DAC that it's possible to make. Succeeded where so many others have failed.

But the audience is hard to please.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks

I have the D90LE and it also performs superbly.
The SINAD vs level even sees some improvement at low level. Probably they use more than just a digital volume control.
(We probably see a hint of that in your IMD vs level plot, below -20dB)

The only weak(er) point is SPDIF Jitter, which should be perfect but is not.
Next thing to improve for Topping.

Any clue of improved performance due to the new DAC generation ?
What should we look for ?

D

Deleted member 21114

Topping are like the guy who insists on firebreathing at a party. Cool trick pal, please stop. That Chord goon with the quadrillion tap filters, Topping with infinite SINAD... I would rather have a tone control.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
It‘s audibly indistinguishable from the other dozens of DACs ranked just below it. But for 899$ it offers very little otherwise.
That's what I'm talking about. Many say that applies to every DAC. So what? If true, why even read this review at all?

Personally I think the Topping should have got the very top spot because it's got lower multitone distortion at low frequencies, and because it doesn't have an ESS hump.

Topping should be congratulated. Thank you for what must have been some difficult tests, Amir, splitting atoms and all that.

Nick

Top Bottom