• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning

ACOUSTIC SOLID Wood Referenz Turntable​

1705009879691.png

DHT 845

Pro-Ject Xtension 9 Evolution

1705010313376.png

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Right, turntables are just pure aesthetics for me.
When it comes to sound quality, I was recently listening to some jazz radio station on my budget D70s dac and it was played some vinyl with all the crackles and super rich timbre. I could swear that I had hi-end turntable in my room, each crack was different and so smooth, analog-like. And the funniest thing is that the radio was not even in 320kB/s MP3 quality, but some lower (don't remember exactly), upsampled by Rasperry Pi to 352.8kHz. So it is the recording that matters. Vinyls in the past and now have some "special mastering" so different than CD mastering. Paradoxally with less dynamic range vinyl has bigger and subjectively more dynamic sound because tiny difference in sound level is transfered into higher volume swings on the speakers. The phenomenon is very similar to what can be easily observed on game consoles with the output sound setting (I believe that in "The Last of Us" game and some others like Uncharted etc. are these settings available). When you set the "small speakers" option you get a bigger sound than in the "home theater" settings (where in fact the full dynamics is output to the audio receiver). But of course I could be wrong with this "diagnosis". That's just how it seems to me.
I have gone backwards regarding sound quality lately. A few weeks ago I discovered that a rock station that I have listened to in the past has added new songs to their lineup. Thus, most of the music I have listened to in recent weeks has been via a traditional FM radio. It is possible to stream that channel but I thought what the hell when I still have a vintage receiver I might as well use it.:)

Then maybe it will be lossless streaming, or vinyl or more radio for me. It's fun with all the choices there are. In recent years, I have been listening to Internet radio a lot. There is an incredible range of channels.:)

DHT 845

Then maybe it will be lossless streaming, or vinyl or more radio for me. It's fun with all the choices there are. In recent years, I have been listening to Internet radio a lot. There is an incredible range of channels.:)
I agree, so many choices of music media for our precious time. Add to it TV streaming choices, video games, traditional books, audiobooks and it turns out that we should live 1000 years to grasp a fraction of it.

Golf

OK – this is a tough one, at least for me ...

I tried to mathematically calculate the correct number of dots sitting on the rim of some turntable platters, like those famous Technics models.

I know everything that I have to know: Two of these dotted lines are for 33⅓, the other two for 45 rpm, with two versions each for 50 Hz and for 60 Hz. I even know the number of dots per line, because I actually counted them :facepalm: :)

But I can’t for the life of me come up with a formula to calculate those numbers ... Kind of embarrassing. I Must be getting old ... :(

1705101747643.png

JP

Major Contributor
I know everything that I have to know: Two of these dotted lines are for 33⅓, the other two for 45 rpm, with two versions each for 50 Hz and for 60 Hz. I even know the number of dots per line, because I actually counted them :facepalm: :)

View attachment 341534

Notice the legend next to the strobe light? Did you know the strobe frequency is 100Hz?

IMG_7982_.jpg

Last edited:

Eric Natural

Way too much time on your hands Golf
: = )

madrac

Sure you counted correctly?
Number of marks = frequency of strobe/rpm*60

if the strobe is 100 hz, should be 180 dots. if 120, 216 dots. 182 dots would be 101 hz

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is one thing I've never even thought of....counting the dots on my Technics! Then again I just use it at basic speed.

Golf

Notice the legend next to the strobe light?

Uhm, I ignored it – assuming it has something to do with the pitch control slider only. But yeah – those numbers seem to fit to my dot counting results!

171 = 182 – 6%
176 = 182 – 3.3%
182 = 182 +/– 0%
188 = 182 + 3.3%

Did you know the strobe frequency is 100Hz?

No, I didn’t. I was assuming either 50 Hz or 60 Hz, bases on the local power supply.

Top Bottom