• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, that's still a bit of a dream. At low speeds, there is more of a difference, but with a modern ICE, from the inside at least, the engine noise is often negligible. At higher speeds, even more so. I drove a hybrid for a year before I had the current EV, and the difference between full-electric and hybrid driving was really small in terms of noise. Only when you really floor the pedal would the engine wake up and make itself known. But obviously, your mileage may vary...
I rode in a last year Camry. Man, you simply could not tell if the engine was on or off. They really have made strides in such things. I finally found a certain spot as a passenger where if I pushed a bit on the footwell, I could detect a bit of vibration. Otherwise, on, off whatever, you simply could not tell. An EV had nothing on this Camry in terms of perceived vibration.

Marshall McLuhan said a medium is not perfected until its final days when it is being replaced. I think that is what we are seeing. The most fabulous, most advanced cars are coming in the end of their era. They are being replaced by a new automotive medium.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
1992 'Sunburst Yellow' Miata - purchased from a local bank's repo lot in March 1994. Consider saving up for the car you want to drive and keep it running - if practical.

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 36

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
iris.jpg

This is what I have been driving since last December. Two days ago I drove it down a long Forest Service road near Santa Fe. 4 wheel drive was not necessary, but high ground clearance and long travel suspension were. A normal unit body SUV might have made it going 1 mph, a sedan would have been damaged and a sports car would have been towed out. Gas mileage isn't impressive.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
View attachment 298773
This is what I have been driving since last December. Two days ago I drove it down a long Forest Service road near Santa Fe. 4 wheel drive was not necessary, but high ground clearance and long travel suspension were. A normal unit body SUV might have made it going 1 mph, a sedan would have been damaged and a sports car would have been towed out. Gas mileage isn't impressive.
I'd like to thank all Jeep owners for generating enough demand for an aftermarket 7-inch round LED headlight that I use to illuminate the road for my Miata.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to thank all Jeep owners for generating enough demand for an aftermarket 7-inch round LED headlight that I use to illuminate the road for my Miata.
The Wrangler JK had 7" headlights. The JL which came out in 2018 changed to 9". I'm seriously considering buying aftermarket LED headlights.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Today I have a cheap compact car whose special feature is an engine that burns LPG.
I have no idea why the idea of LPG didn't catch on more except the money in
politics is all vested in EV. My dad worked for the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad
in the 1960s and all their vehicles way back then ran on LPG. It was clean and cheap

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does it take to please you?
Ford, Chevy, and Mopar all make cars & trucks with big V8's, 400hp and up, that will deliver mileage in the low 30s if driven like you care about such things. Add free flowing exhaust and they'll sound just like the old ones?
Quit thinking rice burners. ;)
American cars are generally not imported into the UK. Pretty well nobody apart from a very few workmen use trucks here, most workmen prefer a van.

I am not generally impressed by pushrod V8s, very good production engineering makes them very cheap to build but the specific performance isn’t very special.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I am not generally impressed by pushrod V8s, very good production engineering makes them very cheap to build but the specific performance isn’t very special.
The pushrod GM LS series of engines have been the engine of choice for performance enthusiasts.
Do your homework but I understand the lack of availability in UK

Here, and I suspect in the US, the government has been in the pockets of the oil companies for decades.
Not any more, EV money rules the roost
EV money rules the roostThat may be true in the USA and China but most of the developed world is sensibly moving to renewables.
Whats so renewable about EV, it has to be generated, and most is dirty as hell.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will not answer your assertions other than to say I disagree
Okay you said it on many threads there is no reason to keep repeating it without new factual information. To paraphrase you 'there is no reason to push and anti green energy agenda' especially since it has just started and has had so many successes. The fact that that there are no charging or gas stations for 200 miles is not an issue for ether technology.

I do have bias but it is more than green energy. I have owned ICE vehicles since I was 14, two and four wheels, racing dirt bikes in my late teens. I have had my highly modified BMW M3 on Laguna Seca twice. I still love vintage cars and bikes. I am licensed Mechanical Engineer who designed and built an active solar heated house completed in 1984 and am a net electricity producer last year with solar panels and whole house battery. Since the mid '80s I have started and worked at eight start-ups in medical devices. Machines, mechanisms, power and human machine are and have been my life and as they evolve so will I. I read and follow technology on many fronts, especially alternative energy since the late '70s, and audio brings me here. I am in it for that not politics and if politics support that, its good, but there are plenty of politics against it to. If you have two people you have politics.

Why are you so animate about the dire nature of the clean energy revolution? What in your background and study says it will fail? I just don't see it that way from a cost perspective. All energy on the planet comes or has come from the sun except nuclear.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Re-worded: Have you gotten ducked or have you ducked anyone?
[Maybe this version will get @Ron Texas attention] evillaugh.gif

Has anyone stuck a rubber duckie on your door handle yet?:oops:
Have you done the same to other Jeeps?;)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In September of 2021 she was taken by flatbed for a complete overhaul. My 2004 E46 M3 was finally returned to me in immaculate condition just three weeks ago. Gasoline forever.
Nice, I did the same to my 2006 Ram about a year ago.
It's the ultimate anti-tech vehicle, 6sp manual, manual seats, even crank windows that will work under water. LOL
IMG_8479.jpg

IMG_8475.jpg

IMG958460.jpg

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
A manual truck! These days, that's a true unicorn and the best theft deterrent. My shit-kicker is a 2010 Chevy Avalanche. I bought it for a long time girlfriend who is now out of the picture. Early last year it was stolen by a career criminal and used for jacking cats. When I picked it up from the police impound, it came with a complementary set of 24 carbide sawzall blades. That truck has been the cheapest to maintain and operate out of any vehicle I have ever owned.

BTW - my first drive in the M3 was a quick nine hour jaunt down I-10 from Houston to Okaloosa County, FL. Moved back to NWFL to care for me mum. Good to be back in Florida! And Go Gators!

Top Bottom