• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do humans like jazz?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like most everything dependent on time and place. Some more than others and more often of course. Jazz for me is a cool piece if it is organic.
My dog and I both love jazz.

Barrelhouse Solly

It kinda depends on what flavor of jazz. The King Oliver 1923 recordings are great although many people call them dated. I like most all periods although I don't care much for fusion. I have a generational anchor in jazz from the '50s and '60s but I love a lot of the pre-WWII stuff. For me, I think my preferences relate to having learned enough guitar chords to form a picture of the music. If I can identify a chord progression, not necessarily each individual chord by name, at least enough to tie it to the structure of the tune, I can appreciate most anything competent players can do with it. The early New Orleans stuff didn't use esoteric progressions. As the music evolved, that changed. There are many jazz albums from the '50s where every song or almost every song, is based on the chords to "I Got Rhythm." E. g. a lot of Charlie Parker. When jazz players play standards you have to be able to tie what they're playing to the melody/chords of the song to enjoy it, IMHO. Then there are players like Monk.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a generational anchor in jazz from the '50s and '60s but I love a lot of the pre-WWII stuff.
I did that trip too and found it to be good.
There are many jazz albums from the '50s where every song or almost every song, is based on the chords to "I Got Rhythm." E. g. a lot of Charlie Parker. When jazz players play standards you have to be able to tie what they're playing to the melody/chords of the song to enjoy it
Can you link some examples?
Then there are players like Monk.
Melodious Thunk is one unto himself for sure... LoL.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have no idea what you are saying although I guess it is a insider joke. :D
You don't know what a Leslie is?
Yes, Hammonds (B3s in particular) and Leslies do go together.

Leslie-speaker-cabinet.gif

Jerry Garcia's vocal on the (otherwise? ;) ) beautiful song Rosemary from their third album, aoxomoxoa, was recorded through a Leslie.

I think (???) George Harrison's* guitar solo on Cream's song Badge probably was as well.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... It was easily achievable listening to all of those two songs. The second was especially easy and I remember it from wayyy back when I was a teen and before when I was a rocking toddler too. Great stuff. :D Adding to bookmarks.

beeface

Why doesn't my dog like jazz?

I'm not saying he dislikes it, but whenever I'm playing it he doesn't seem to notice. Same with any genre, really

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would love to love Jazz.

What is the best way to get into it? (ignoring live events - little jazz round here)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no idea what you are saying although I guess it is a insider joke. :D
Hammond B3 organs & Leslie speakers were paired together quite often. Hammond being a more mannish name & Leslie being a more feminine (yes, I know a very few men named Leslie), but it seemed to go together to me.
The proper pairing (like a fine wine) a Hammond B3 & a Leslie:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Comedian Bob Hope was, as many of all y'all may know, a) born in England and b) given the name Leslie Townes Hope. He quipped that, since schoolchildren were addressed last name first, he changed his given name to "Bob" because he didn't want to be known as Hopelessly. :)

vin54AdHope.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to imagine jazz to be an area of denigration compared to most pop, opera or classical....all of which pretty much sucks.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You don't know what a Leslie is?
Yes, Hammonds (B3s in particular) and Leslies do go together.

View attachment 281445

Jerry Garcia's vocal on the (otherwise? ;) ) beautiful song Rosemary from their third album, aoxomoxoa, was recorded through a Leslie.

I think (???) George Harrison's* guitar solo on Cream's song Badge probably was as well.

Guitars on The Doobie Brothers' Another Park Another Sunday were also run through Leslies to get that phase-y sound.

I would assume that now, such an effect would be accomplished via a "Leslie plug-in" in a DAW.

Last edited:

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Random spontaneous thoughts!

I love jazz. I became attached to it as a teenager (a time during which it was not popular at all) through local radio and it’s lasted my whole life. I tried to play it but never became competent, by my way of thinking.

The video in the original post was interesting but it literally gave me a headache. My honest opinion is that it contains tons of interesting ideas and facts but the main assertions are not much more than wild speculation and can neither be proven nor disproven and did not really resonate with my experience and feelings.

There was some extraordinary jazz that was the western world’s popular music prior to World War II, much of it much better than what has been played during my lifetime, by my values and preferences. I think the idea that normal people inherently don’t like jazz is a misnomer and a red herring and a false premise. I am aware of the bebop and bop and post bop styles, which I really enjoy, but which are less accessible, but this does not mean people don’t naturally enjoy the core of what jazz is, IMHO. :)

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guitars on The Doobie Brothers' Another Park Another Sunday were also run through Leslies to get that phase-y sound.

I would assume that now, such an effect would be accomplished via a "Leslie plug-in" in a DAW.

Yep, Leslie's are self contained (amp, speakers, motor drive). And, if someone knows what they are doing, they can be paired with many instruments. But, like many other things, just because you can stick them together, doesn't mean you should.
George Carlin once said something to the effect of: You can take two things that never have been stuck together before, nail them together & take them to an arts & craft show. And some schmuk will buy it.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Yep, Leslie's are self contained (amp, speakers, motor drive). And, if someone knows what they are doing, they can be paired with many instruments. But, like many other things, just because you can stick them together, doesn't mean you should.
George Carlin once said something to the effect of: You can take two things that never have been stuck together before, nail them together & take them to an arts & craft show. And some schmuk will buy it.
Our neighbor when I was growing up called them "arts & crap shows."

Reactions: EJ3
Top Bottom