• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

darker

As I wait for mine... I am on windows 10 and will be using foobar exclusively. What is the best way to set this up so I can hear all my file in native resolution? No DSD, all FLAC in 16/44 to 24/192.

Thanks!
Nothing special required. Windows 10 will install it as a sound device automatically, and you can play audio in any app. In my expirence, as already said, driver is required to fix the excessive clicking.

ngs428

Nothing special required. Windows 10 will install it as a sound device automatically, and you can play audio in any app. In my expirence, as already said, driver is required to fix the excessive clicking.

Good deal. I will install the driver.

voon

A little update to my "fried earphones": Topping contacted me and will ship me a new unit from a new batch around Xmas. I didn't have to ship the broken unit back, which is nice, since it'd cost me around 50 USD. I'd like to, thoguh, so they can analyze it.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
A little update to my "fried earphones": Topping contacted me and will ship me a new unit from a new batch around Xmas. I didn't have to ship the broken unit back, which is nice, since it'd cost me around 50 USD. I'd like to, thoguh, so they can analyze it.

Awesome service there!

Ask them to send you an EMS shipping label in your replacement shipment.

That way, you can send it back to them via your local EMS agent and it can be billed to them instead.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got my "clicky" unit in earlier this week. Looking forward to a firmware update, hope that turns out to fix the issue.

On another note, what sort of volume level are ppl using to run their HD 650/6XXs? I was closing in on +0db volume level, so i tried using it in DAC only mode to the THX AAA 789 and that made a big difference for me. I tried both low gain and the +9db gain on the DX3pro. Wondering if i was doing something wrong.

Add me to the list of happy DX3PRO owners. Feeding it optical via iphone/chromecast currently, clicking is a non-issue, unit works flawlessly. With my HD6XX, I often approach 0db volume setting on high gain, listening at -6 to -4 seems like good loud level. It goes past 0db though, and according to the review, is audibly clean power at full volume.

THW

Forum Donor
Add me to the list of happy DX3PRO owners. Feeding it optical via iphone/chromecast currently, clicking is a non-issue, unit works flawlessly. With my HD6XX, I often approach 0db volume setting on high gain, listening at -6 to -4 seems like good loud level. It goes past 0db though, and according to the review, is audibly clean power at full volume.

With my HD 600, at around -10 dB on high gain my ears feel like they’re going to burst, how do you guys even listen at those kind of levels 0_o

dkinric

I do like it loud, but probably a difference in actual db they are putting out due to input (optical vs USB) and source (PC vs iphone). Also, my iphone volume is more like 80-90% rather than maxed out.
The takeaway here (as originally pointed out by Amir) is that there is plenty of power to drive up to 300 ohm cans to loud levels with no measureable distortion!

dkinric

I listen at -6 -12 dB low gain on my HD650 :oops:

Per the measurements, you are only getting 14mw on low gain with 300ohms. That hardly seems enough to drive these cans to any appreciable level. Switching to high gain gives you 123mw with distortion still well below audible levels.
Of course, to each his own, but it seems our headphones (HD6XX and HD650) don't really start to come alive without more power behind them.

Veri

Master Contributor
Per the measurements, you are only getting 14mw on low gain with 300ohms. That hardly seems enough to drive these cans to any appreciable level. Switching to high gain gives you 123mw with distortion still well below audible levels.
Of course, to each his own, but it seems our headphones (HD6XX and HD650) don't really start to come alive without more power behind them.
Idk, volume in Windows is at 100% and most music is already quite loud. For movies I'm at -0.0dB low gain, but never really needed high gain so far. I no longer own planar headphones though which are a lot more demanding.

Johnb

I also have HD 6xx, which I use with a small usb dac/amp which outputs the equivalent to unity gain (output 2VRMS), so around 14mW. Even though acceptable at max volume, I do wish for a smidge more.

I really do wish someone made an amp with low or mid gain at 1.3x That would be perfect. Judging by the number of people with Sennheiser cans, that might make a lot of sense. I wonder though if that might deprive those with high sensitivity headphones of adjustment range of volume.

confucius_zero

Can anybody tell me how much "linearity" (in bits) can be audible to your ears? Since this DAC has less of that than the ESS dacs, is it audibly less for most people?

flipflop

Can anybody tell me how much "linearity" (in bits) can be audible to your ears?
20 bits equivalent to a dynamic range of 120 dB is the maximum.

Since this DAC has less of that than the ESS dacs, is it audibly less for most people?
"Most people" wouldn't be able to distinguish between any modern, functional DACs.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Can anybody tell me how much "linearity" (in bits) can be audible to your ears?

From a "normal" listening level, for me, I'd say about 10 bits (-60dB from that level. If normal is -10dB, then turn down to -70dB).

Set a comfortable level, start turning it down till you don't hear anything, see what the dB setting says (assuming it is displayed and you can go that far)

YMMV.

confucius_zero

Thank you both! Another question:

What's more important? Having the "ESS hump" but high SINAD or not having the "ESS hump" but lower SINAD?

flipflop

Thank you both! Another question:

What's more important? Having the "ESS hump" but high SINAD or not having the "ESS hump" but lower SINAD?
SINAD is the inverse of THD+N, which is a horrible metric for audibility. You'll have to analyze the full FFT, but even that will rarely tell you anything conclusive.
The ESS hump hasn't been proven to be audible either.
It's an apples and oranges comparison with too many unknowns.

As far as I can tell, no one has provided a full explanation of how to interpret Amir's measurements, so I'll probably make a thread about it soon.

derp1n

"Only". 14mW is 108 dB SPL on the HD6xx.

More power doesn't do anything unless you need more volume. Stop spreading myths.

dkinric

No myths here, just quoting some numbers and sharing my experience with this particular unit and those particular headphones. Sometimes selected measured numbers don't tell the whole story.
If your point is that unused power is unecessary, I would agree.
Thanks for your input.

confucius_zero

As far as I can tell, no one has provided a full explanation of how to interpret Amir's measurements, so I'll probably make a thread about it soon.

Yes it would be nice to know how the metrics are weighted in a "score" for various use cases if there's any. Thank you flipflop

Top Bottom