• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

hrbngr

I am using the DX3pro in the high gain +9db setting, however a difference in my setup might be that I have balanced cables on my HD 6XX w/a converter to 1/4" SE. I believe I was in the range of -6 to -8db volume setting, but my unit only goes to +0 as the highest volume. I am uncertain if using balanced cables here changes things..bought the adapter b/c i didn't want to keep changing from balanced to the stock cable.

THW,
re: equalizer SW, i am only using the USB connection direct to the DAC (w/the over $9000 USB cable--Microsoft Certified™ that Amir made especially for me! ) w/Foobar 2k set to WINASPI event, sound volume in windows is 100% when using connected DAC. I did have to install the Topping SW into windows 7 for it to recognize DX3pro.

...confession...bought the Schiit USB PYST cable when i got the Jotunheim and Modi Multibit. deep regrets here, but the cable was soooo purty... :(

mikehoopes

Speaking of planars...the trusty desktop Monsoon MM-700 is a fine pairing with the DX3Pro.

Topping DX3Pro - Monsoon MM-700.jpg

hrbngr

Amir,

I was riffing off of your post on the Jotunheim jumper cables in the thread Review and Measurements of Schiit Jotunheim and iFi iDSD Black Label DACs and Headphone Amps. I'm sure the USB cable variant made to your "ultimate version" standards is something special...

I forgot to mention. If you don't know where to buy the jumper cable, I have three versions I am offering for sale:
1. The yellow one you see in the picture. You can buy them for 10 cents on ebay but because I will be selling them, the price is $10.
2. A 99% oxygen-free cable with hand forged alligator clips. I will be offering these for $399.
3. The ultimate version made out of free-radical-free insulation, cryogenically treated, electron aligned conductors. It is built by nude virgins on a remote island so it does not come cheap. For ASR members, I am offering this at a special price of $9999.

All three will objectively improve the fidelity of Schiit Jotunheim. Unlike any other cable you have bought before.
Product will be shipped on first come, first serve basis. It is not available in Hawaii or Alaska or anywhere not allowed by law.

mikehoopes

Are those speakers mounted on a door hinge? That's awesome - a MacGyver Mount!
Thanks - installed them over a decade ago, just some cheap hinges (2.5" wide flange, fit perfectly) from Home Depot.

Monsoon hinge mount.jpg

Those planar drivers are extremely directional, thus the need for the z-axis degree of freedom, when mounted horizontally. You get stereo imaging and distortion levels rivaling headphones, and you can also dial in the crossfeed/separation readily for a limited listening position. They can still be found for a good price on eBay.

Wolven

Thanks for the headphone advice. I picked up Hifiman HE400i today, it was dirt cheap. Still need to burn it, apparently 150 hours. So far so good. :)
I set the Foobar and the main sound controls to 00db, the gain on DX3pro is at 00db. The volume on DX3pro is comfortable at -18db to - 16db.
How do you guys set the gain and volumes?

bennetng

Major Contributor

kukocz

Forum Donor
Guys, good news. I contacted Topping and asked about few things (one of these was question about firmware) and I got the following answer:

"About new firmware which is able to remove unnecessary click of relay, we plan to release it around this weekend."

So, we're waiting...

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Guys, good news. I contacted Topping and asked about few things (one of these was question about firmware) and I got the following answer:

"About new firmware which is able to remove unnecessary click of relay, we plan to release it around this weekend."

So, we're waiting...
I received the same content mail.

bleachershane

So, we're waiting...
Interesting... Mine still hasn't turned up, firmware may be out before I get a hold on my unit!

noel_fs

I plan to buy it just today, is it a good idea? Just saw some bad comments and the thread seems too flooded to read it and see whats wrong? If its only the clic im ok with it as the last coments are saying they are gonna release a firmware update for it.

d2theyip

I plan to buy it just today, is it a good idea? Just saw some bad comments and the thread seems too flooded to read it and see whats wrong? If its only the clic im ok with it as the last coments are saying they are gonna release a firmware update for it.
If you really want to avoid the click, I'd wait for reviews after the firmware upgrade that us owners will try out. I enjoy the heck out of it so far, and am waiting for the firmware update this weekend.

Last edited:

noel_fs

If you really want to avoid the click, I'd wait for reviews after the firmware upgrade that us owners will try out. I enjoy the heck out of it so far, and am waiting for the firmware update this weekend.
Bought it, basically it takes like 2 weeks to arrive from china so I cant really wait.
One more question, how do you use different filters? Does it have a menu or something?

Top Bottom