Recent content by rkbates

1. R

Brand new to forum, looking for guidance setting up raspberry pi 4 as dedicated music server, the best player to use, no streaming.

As far as audio quality goes, just about any half decent pc will work. I tend to avoid windows, it seems to me (don't have the tech background to back it up) that windows randomly periodically decides that something else is far more important than playing music and just glitches. I have 2 pi's...
  2. R

Brand new to forum, looking for guidance setting up raspberry pi 4 as dedicated music server, the best player to use, no streaming.

Going to static IP is handy, but everything should work fine with dynamic IP. If you scan the network with fing, do you see the Pi (should appear as volumio)?
  3. R

Fing (to see what's connected and IP addresses) and Net Analyzer (to see wifi signal strength and SSID) are pretty handy network troubleshooting apps
  4. R

FAT32 can share between Pi, Windows and Mac. ExFAT should be able to, but Volumio may not support it since it's not a full Linux distribution. Sound quality wont be affected by a powered hub or external drive - the only likely issues are glitches and you'll definitely hear them. For any sound...
  5. R

All good - always trying to bring new people into the Raspberry Pi world. I'll be buying a portable SSD shortly (for another purpose) but I'll try it on the Pi first and see if it works. One last thing to try - your SSD may not be formatted correctly. Plug it into your windows computer, click on...
  6. R

Click on Settings then Sources - in the My Music section if your USB/SSD is being read you will see how many artists, albums and tracks you have. You may need to click on Rescan. If it says 0 artists/albums/tracks, then your USB/SSD is not being seen. If this is the case, transfer some of your...
  7. R

If you click on "Music Library", you should see "USB" like below Click on USB, then in my case you get to SANDISK, for you it will be the name of your SSD, then click again (you may need to keep going down a few levels) and you should get to your music. If you can see your music files, click on...
  8. R

16-bit... It really is enough!

Conspiracy theory alert - is the 16 bit file being deliberately degraded to make the 24 bit file more attractive and push consumers to pay the premium? Is that really a 6 dB dynamic range on some songs!
  9. R

The Pi will run hot, but normally not a problem unless the SSD is drawing heaps of power so until you have things running properly you can try a powered USB hub. If you are using Volumio, does your home page look something like this? "Music Library" on the left is what you are looking for
  10. R

16-bit... It really is enough!

As a consumer, all of my audio upgrades have sounded better (to me). Double blind tested, absolute chalk and cheese. For me to change from 16/44 I would have to see clear evidence in the testing and hear clear differences in the sound - nothing so far is pushing me in that direction, too much...
  11. R

Small steps then - is your Pi connected to your network? If so, is it wired or wireless and what other devices do you have on the network? Does your phone connect to the same network?
  12. R

Review and Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC

Whilst I expect we have vastly different view on measurements, I believe running a music file through different devices and comparing their digitized output would be an interesting thing to do (probably been done a thousand times on this forum). Does anyone have some high quality musically...
  13. R

Sounds like a reboot is needed first off. To see if your pi is reading the hard drive, create a shortcut to your pi. Something like below, but yours will be "volumio" instead of 'garagevolumio" You then can navigate to your music: If that all works, then you need to read up on PuTTY or similar...
  14. R

First thing - do you see any other options for your output device? If you have a DAC plugged in, you should see something listed against USB:
  15. R

Review and Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC

Just trying to understand the discussion (and learn a bit maybe) - are you saying these measurements with the UMIK-1 don't distinguish the DACs? At 400 Hz I see a 5 dB difference, other places I see 0 dB. This is definitely audible, so assuming nothing else has changed (mike position etc) then...
Top Bottom