• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anybody OP amp rolling?

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was thinking of doing this to my amp, the Akitika GT-102 which I've talked about here. How much are opamps? They look like they ought to cost under a dollar.
The opamps in the GT-102 are used as DC servo which means it's not in the signal path (won't affect the sound of you replace it with better opamps).

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
OK, I'll just continue staring at the ground and drooling.
Some of the new Sony devices have rather interesting grounds indeed...
Masse_en_etoile.jpg

captain paranoia

Some of the new Sony devices have rather interesting grounds indeed...

That's a bit weird. Obviously a star ground point, but I'm not sure how it's better than printed wiring; thicker conductors, yes. Or maybe it allowed them to tweak the design of the star ground component to perfect the grounding without having to rework the PCB. But I think that would be rather tenuous.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
That's a bit weird. Obviously a star ground point, but I'm not sure how it's better than printed wiring; thicker conductors, yes. Or maybe it allowed them to tweak the design of the star ground component to perfect the grounding without having to rework the PCB. But I think that would be rather tenuous.
The simplest answer: Pandering to "audiophiles".

Chuckser

The thrust of the question was "Do you have any experiences of op-amp rolling" not "What is your opinion of op-amp rolling."

You are all simply flaming against one another, having no experience of actually doing it. Stop talking out of your hats.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The thrust of the question was "Do you have any experiences of op-amp rolling" not "What is your opinion of op-amp rolling."

You are all simply flaming against one another, having no experience of actually doing it. Stop talking out of your hats.

So you're absolutely fine with people spreading nonsense, and in your view, anyone with actual knowledge should shut up.

No.

Chuckser

Not snake oil. They are genuine circuits. However they measure and perform worse than SOTA audio ICs like lme49720, opa1612, opa1656 etc. Overall, don't recommend opamp rolling.
How is the retuning of the AKM4499 sound signature going John?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I have rolled many, many opamps and what I have discovered is they all sound different, very small differences and I could not say that any sound better. 4568s sound just as good as any over priced Burr Brown, just different.
Look inside any any $100k+ mixing console and you will not find any expensive opamps.

I was lucky enough to work as an engineer who had close contacts with TI and National Semiconductor and was able to get boxes of free samples, but those days are gone due to everyone rolling.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have rolled many, many opamps and what I have discovered is they all sound different
In circuits designed for each one, this is a highly dubious claim. Unless you have data to support it?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
In circuits designed for each one, this is a highly dubious claim. Unless you have data to support it?
No, just subjective opinion. I modded an old Digidesign 442 (analog side of pcb ) and turned it into a a/b switcher where I could do a quick a/b test and I could hear very minor differences when comparing them. Some sounded different, some did not.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Controls seem to be an issue with a lot of people today.:D
I didn't do any controls because I did it for myself and don't give a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut what anyone else thinks.
Someone on ASR asked a question and I responded, nothing more.

levimax

Major Contributor
I have a possible legit op amp rolling case but I have not done it yet. I recently built an op amp based pre-amp from a PCB and the volume control is noisy. I figured it was a bad pot but the designer said since I used NE5532 op amps, and they can have max +/- 5 mV DC offset, that is the most likely cause of the noise. I am either going to try some OPA2134 op amps which have max +/- 2mV DC offset or adding in a capacitor.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have a possible legit op amp rolling case but I have not done it yet. I recently built an op amp based pre-amp from a PCB and the volume control is noisy. I figured it was a bad pot but the designer said since I used NE5532 op amps, and they can have max +/- 5 mV DC offset, that is the most likely cause of the noise. I am either going to try some OPA2134 op amps which have max +/- 2mV DC offset or adding in a capacitor.
Bias currents can be an issue with some bipolar input opamps. Did you try inserting a cap between wiper and opamp input to verify that this was the source of the problem? Of course, you still need a DC path to ground for the input.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm always amazed at the lengths audiophiles will go to in order to avoid tone controls.

Top Bottom