• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A great and inexpensive amp for more sensitive speakers...

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey guys. I was on the hunt for an inexpensive amplification setup for my JBL Synthesis 4367. I was tired of moving very heavy equipment every few weeks, tired of the chase for the next esoteric big ticket item, and tired of being ridiculed by my peers for owning 'audio jewelry'.

I thought I'd share my experience with the Akitika GT-102 amp. It is relatively inexpensive as far as most any other gear I've owned previously. $350 shipped or $500 assembled. Right out of the box I knew this was a good purchase. It is as far as I can tell, perfect sounding, and performs just as well, if not better then any other amp I've used previously, which included a Pass Labs XA30.5, Anthem 225 integrated, and the Kinki EX-M1 integrated. All of those amps offered up close, if not above 200wpc into 4ohms.

The Akitika GT-102 offers up to 80wpc into 4ohms, and due to my JBL Synthesis 4367 loudspeakers being 94db sensitive, along with the easy impedance load, which goes down to barely under 5ohms, I think that this amp is as good of a match as you could hope for.

And going by the sound quality I'm getting, it certainly is a good match. I am currently mating it with the matching pre, the Akitika PR-101. Honestly, as I get deeper and deeper into this hobby I'm coming to the realization that a good sounding amplifier does not require spending thousands of dollars. Youre either paying for marketing and r&d, in the case of Benchmark/THX, or Harman (Crown), or youre paying for 2 inch thick steel faceplates and esoteric casework.

I am very satisfied with the performance of the amp, and I do not miss the powerful but lack of finesse of the integrated stuff I was using prior (Kinki, Anthem) as they had too much gain for my speakers. The Akitka is "just right" for me. If you've got speakers in the 92-97db sensitivity range, I highly recommend this excellent little performing amp.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I forgot about those kits. I think audiophiles tend to exaggerate the differences in electronics and amplifiers in particular. Did you build either kit?

Top Bottom