• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

spiritofjerry

There is no mention of "galvanic Isolation" in the HS01 product description. What makes you believe it has that functionality?
Just a guess, but it does call itself an isolator, and does not say anything about ground lifting, which the iDefender makes pretty explicit. My guess is that this device is a true USB isolator (as it calls itself), and not just a ground lift. The slight delay in processing hints at that. If it is just a ground lift, then it's not a good product, and it should be avoided.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just a guess, but it does call itself an isolator, and does not say anything about ground lifting, which the iDefender makes pretty explicit. My guess is that this device is a true USB isolator (as it calls itself), and not just a ground lift. The slight delay in processing hints at that. If it is just a ground lift, then it's not a good product, and it should be avoided.
A product that interrupts passing the USB power line noise as an inexpensive solution is exactly what is needed. :)

Neither the Topping HS01 nor the ifi iDefender+ are "ground lift" products, they completely interrupt both of the USB power lines.

Most people cannot afford the ifi "galvanic isolation" devices that cost $300-$500 to stop the noise, especially when all that is needed is to interrupt the noise carrying USB power lines.

If you look for them there are often simple solutions that are far better and more reliable than the complicated expensive solutions, and from my experience this is one of those problems / solutions, at least in the form of the one I currently use, the ifi iDefender+.

I don't really need to re-fix my noise problems with new solutions - what I have is working great, but if someone hasn't bought an ifi iDefender+ then maybe give the new Topping HS01 a try too :)

Update: Here is a technical explainer PDF with more detailed information on what the iDefender+ does, I hope it clears up some confusion as to what the iDefender+ isn't doing as well:

Last edited:

spiritofjerry

A "ground lift" product that interrupts passing the USB power line noise as an inexpensive solution is exactly what is needed. :)
Read this comment as to why a ground lift is like playing Russian roulette with your device, and is not a real solution.

I've been down this road already. I settled on a much cheaper solution: I invested in a class 2 power supply for my amplifier that allowed me to pull the ground pin. The only real solution is true isolation.

Again, we still don't know if this device is an isolator or ground lift. If it is indeed a true isolator, it's a game changer. We would need to see the topology to verify, as it is, it's all speculation until then.

hmscott

If you're interested in playing Russian roulette with your USB input chip, you can go even cheaper than the Topping/iFi product.
There weren't any when I went searching for them a couple of years ago. @Veri also posted a data-only USB cable he found and uses with his D90.

But, if you need USB power fed to the DAC for it to function a data-only USB cable won't be a solution.

That is where the ifi iDefender+ and perhaps now the Topping HS01 can inject external USB power - from a clean noise-free source - like the ifi iPowerX.

Or, there are the far more expensive solutions from ifi, like the iGalvanic 3.0 + imicro USB 3.0 + iPurifier3 , or simply add the iSilencer+ to the iDefender+... or let ifi's Flagship DAC with all the mediations for noise built-in, for only $3249. :eek:

Last edited:

hmscott

Read this comment as to why a ground lift is like playing Russian roulette with your device, and is not a real solution.

I've been down this road already. I settled on a much cheaper solution: I invested in a class 2 power supply for my amplifier that allowed me to pull the ground pin. The only real solution is true isolation.

Again, we still don't know if this device is an isolator or ground lift. If it is indeed a true isolator, it's a game changer. We would need to see the topology to verify, as it is, it's all speculation until then.
I edited out "Ground Lift" from my post because it isn't that, I was using your terms for description and I shouldn't have:

"A product that interrupts passing the USB power line noise as an inexpensive solution is exactly what is needed."

"Neither the Topping HS01 nor the ifi iDefender+ are "ground lift" products, they completely interrupt both of the USB power lines."

Update: Here is a technical explainer PDF with more detailed information on what the iDefender+ does, I hope it clears up some confusion as to what the iDefender+ isn't doing as well:

Last edited:

spiritofjerry

There weren't any when I went searching for them a couple of years ago. @Veri also posted a data-only USB cable he found and uses with his D90.
Kapton tape over the 5v and ground pins, free solution, dude.
But, if you need USB power fed to the DAC for it to function a data-only USB cable won't be a solution.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32912096636.html
That is where the ifi iDefender+ and perhaps now the Topping HS01 can inject external USB power - from a clean noise-free source - like the ifi iPowerX or the Topping P50.

Or there are the far more expensive solutions from ifi, like the iGalvanic 3.0 + imicro USB 3.0 + iPurifier3 , or simply add the iSilencer+ to the iDefender+... or let ifi's Flagship DAC with all the mediations for noise built-in, for only $3249. :eek:
As I mentioned, been down this road. I don't play Russian roulette with my USB devices and motherboard, so the only real solution is breaking the ground loop in a way that doesn't leave your devices open to potential voltage damage, so true galvanic isolation or real ground loop resolution.

hmscott

Kapton tape over the 5v and ground pins, free solution, dude.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32912096636.html + kapton tape
Instead, I recommend spending the small amount of $ and get a device that is designed to accomplish the interruption of the USB power-line noise safely.
As I mentioned, been down this road. I don't play Russian roulette with my USB devices and motherboard, so the only real solution is breaking the ground loop in a way that doesn't leave your devices open to potential voltage damage, so true galvanic isolation or real ground loop resolution.
Neither ifi nor Topping are "playing Russian Roulette" with their solutions, they both disconnect the power and power-ground, there is no "danger" in that solution. Adding 5V USB external power is also safe with their products.

"Pulling the Ground pin" isn't safe, because a path to ground could be introduced to your device through an external connection. If you pay attention and are careful, then that can work safely, but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone unfamiliar with electronics and know what to watch out for down the road.

I use a Ravpower RP-PB187 ground isolated battery solution to power my Topping D90 MQA + A90/Xduoo TA-20 - and it doesn't have any other external connections that could provide a path to ground. The chassis are insulated from external grounds, and no other devices that would be grounded will be connected to them.

Again the ifi iDefender+ is only interrupting the power-line pair, in a safe noise isolating solution. Hopefully Topping's HS01 copied that functionality.

I hope when ASR members get the Topping HS01 or U90 they report to this thread and elsewhere how they work for them :)

Last edited:

spiritofjerry

Neither ifi nor Topping are "playing Russian Roulette" with their solutions, they both disconnect the power and power-ground, there is no "danger" in that solution. Adding external power is also safe with their products.:)
You did not read the comment I linked:

Direct from RME, a manufacturer, who disagrees with you, and has direct experience with exactly this issue:
We have units coming in regularly where the USB protection and consequently the USB input chip is blown up . In most cases users confess to have used your method via the simple and cheap iFi tool. Be ready to pay for that kind of repair...
The ifi tool is just an expensive way of removing the ground and voltage lines, which leaves the data lines open to voltage tampering.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Direct from RME, a manufacturer, who disagrees with you, and has direct experience with exactly this issue:
Not sure if this could occur but I've seen a few devices that I repaired with the ground lifted and the unit sourced ground from another source and vaporized the trace on the PCB where the ground was sourced from.

Last edited:

spiritofjerry

Not sure if this could occur but I've seen a few devices that I repaired with the ground lifted and the unit sourced ground from another source and vaporized the traces on the PCB where the ground was sourced from.
That's why it's always better to use galvanic isolation. It's the only real solution.

hmscott

The ifi tool is just an expensive way of removing the ground and voltage lines, which leaves the data lines open to voltage tampering.
Not sure if this could occur but I've seen a few devices that I repaired with the ground lifted and the unit sourced ground from another source and vaporized the traces on the PCB where the ground was sourced from.
That's why it's always better to use galvanic isolation. It's the only real solution.
And you might start to read the answers that you get:

@solderdude wrote: No guarantees that the USB input from the DAC won't be damaged when for some reason the ground loop has gotten a voltage on it exceeding that of the components in the USB receiver.

We have units coming in regularly where the USB protection and consequently the USB input chip is blown up . In most cases users confess to have used your method via the simple and cheap iFi tool. Be ready to pay for that kind of repair...
@Doodski @MC_RME - have you worked with ifi on these problems where you suspect the iFi iDefender+ caused the damage to the DAC?

How is it possible that interrupting the USB Power-line connections would induce Ground Loop damage in a connected DAC?

AFAIK the 2 - data lines and 2 - 5V USB power lines aren't meant to interact or cross-pass voltage between them in any manner, and if both 5V USB power wires are interrupted how would that induce or pass a Ground Loop?

@iFi audio - Can you please work with @MC_RME and/or @Doodski to diagnose the suspected RME DAC damage he is seeing when an iDefender+ is used?

I'm pretty sure that other than someone connecting the wrong voltage to the external USB power port on the iDefender+, that the iDefrnder+ itself wouldn't pass Ground Loop voltage through to the DAC, since that is the whole reason to use the iDefender+ - to interrupt ground loops.

Thank you all for particpating on ASR to help us with our product questions :)

Last edited:

spiritofjerry

@Doodski @MC_RME - have you worked with ifi on these problems where you suspect the iFi iDefender+ caused the damage to the DAC?

How is it possible that interrupting the USB Power-line connections would induce Ground Loop damage in a connected DAC?

AFAIK the 2 - data lines and 2 - 5V USB power lines aren't meant to interact or cross-pass voltage between them in any manner, and if both 5V USB power wires are interrupted how would that induce or pass a Ground Loop?

@iFi audio - Can you please work with @MC_RME and/or @Doodski to diagnose the suspected RME DAC damage he is seeing when an iDefender+ is used?

I'm pretty sure that other than someone connecting the wrong voltage to the external USB power port on the iDefender+, that the iDefrnder+ itself wouldn't pass Ground Loop voltage through to the DAC, since that is the whole reason to use the iDefender+ - to interrupt ground loops.

You might try some further reading to understand why it's still not safe, even by removing the 5v and ground lines: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...limination-and-pc-usb-noise.10612/post-947360

and

hmscott

You might try some further reading to understand why it's still not safe, even by removing the 5v and ground lines: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...limination-and-pc-usb-noise.10612/post-947360

and

The iFi iDefender isn't simply interrupting the USB power/ground, here is iFi's explainer about their noise reduction devices, including the iDefender+:

@iFi audio can you please expand on that iDefender+ description or answer questions about the technical details of what it is doing beyond what is described in that pdf as it relates to ground loops and the DAC damage mentioned above. Please help us understand how the iDefender+ solution won't cause damage to the connected DAC.

@JohnYang1997 - how about the new HS01 product solution, how is it safely mitigating ground loops in your design?

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I experienced the issue with a bunch of DC powered devices other than the iFi iDefender+. It's a fairly common issue with DC powered devices that have poor grounding or when somebody was mucking with the connections.

hmscott

I experienced the issue with a bunch of DC powered devices other than the iFi iDefender+. It's a fairly common issue with DC powered devices that have poor grounding or when somebody was mucking with the connections.
What I was thinking myself, it could be a matter of guilt by association rather than direct causality - actually attributed to user error.

Sorry for using such a simplistic description of the function of the iDefender+, I probably should link that PDF everytime I post about the iDefender+...I've added it to my other recent posts mentioning the iDefender+.

@JohnYang1997 - Topping doesn't have the HS01 listed on their website yet, I assume they will also post a technical document explaining in some detail what their device is doing as well. Can you please post it or a link to that document here?

Last edited:

spiritofjerry

The iFi iDefender isn't simply interrupting the USB power/ground, here is iFi's explainer about their noise reduction devices, including the iDefender+:
It literally says, in that document, that it breaks (aka "lifts") the ground if the computer and dac are earthed. If either one or the other aren't earthed, it simply puts in a resistor, which can reduce the noise, but does not get rid of it. Hence, it doesn't work for removing the loop, and is not a good solution.

You're really pushing this ifi product in here really hard, @hmscott. Why are you trying to sell it as a the be-all, end-all, when it's a poor solution at best (i.e. doesn't work to actually remove the ground loop, simply reduces some of the audible bands of it, and not always very well), and dangerous at worst?

hmscott

It literally says, in that document, that it breaks (aka "lifts") the ground if the computer and dac are earthed. If either one or the other aren't earthed, it simply puts in a resistor, which can reduce the noise, but does not get rid of it. Hence, it doesn't work for removing the loop, and is not a good solution.

You're really pushing this ifi product in here really hard, @hmscott. Why are you trying to sell it as a the be-all, end-all, when it's a poor solution at best (i.e. doesn't work to actually remove the ground loop, simply reduces some of the audible bands of it, and not always very well), and dangerous at worst?
If you read back in this thread to my first posts here about my noise problems ecountered using the D90/A90, all along I've simply been sharing my experience with tracking down noise problems with my D90 and A90, and posting solutions I found that have worked and which ones haven't worked.

My PC GPU noise was the last noise source I couldn't completely cure via shielded cables - which I've also listed on occasion - that got rid of the EMI/RFI interference, and after using the iDefender+ my last noise problem is gone, no more PC GPU noise.

I was also hesitent to try the iDefender+, until I saw it working for others with the same PC GPU USB noise problems. I've also posted a video done by someone else as to their similar experience with the iDefender+ - showing the GPU noise without the iDefender+ and after installing the iDefender+ inline the GPU noise was gone, just as I've found with my own experience.

The iDefender+ was the last change I needed to get rid of the last of my USB power-line borne noise from my PC.

So what else should I suggest to someone with the same USB borne noise problems I had - before the Topping HS01 was released?, when my own experience shows the iDefender+ has worked reliably for me during 2 years in daily service?

The links you've posted appear to me to be only theoretical heresay by people that don't really know what the iDefender+ is doing, nor have they tried it themselves. And, in fact you haven't shown a single solid failure example documented as caused by an iDefender+. The actual failure cause may as likely be something else altogether.

Please try the Topping HS01 and prove it out as an alternative to the iFi iDefender+, then you can purchase the iDefender+ too and see it also solve the PC noise problem(s) in your own use - after gaining hands on experience with both solutions - we can both recommend the iDefender+ and HS01 together. Wouldn't that be nice? :)

I started this night happily posting about a new alternative to the iDefender+, and I would be as happy using and recommending the HS01 if it also solves USB noise problems: TOPPING HS01 USB 2.0 High Speed Audio Isolator - TOPPING U90 USB Bridge

If you any of you do get one or the other solution, or come across another different solution, please let us know how it works for you. :)

Last edited:

spiritofjerry

Or, you know, you can actually solve the ground loop in a safe way with a galvanic isolator. It's a proven solution that works, no questions asked.

You could have solved your issue with some electrical tape if you just want to remove noise without regard to other consequences.

If the Topping device is a true isolator, then it's far superior to the ifi product, because it actually solves the issue, safely.

hmscott

Or, you know, you can actually solve the ground loop in a safe way with a galvanic isolator. It's a proven solution that works, no questions asked.

If the Topping device is a true isolator, then it's far superior to the ifi product, because it actually solves the issue.
You can keep talking about it, or actually do it yourself. If you feel you need to go to the expense of a Galvanic Isolation solution - I'm sure ifi or someone else will happily take your money :)

I'm not going to spend $hundreds/$thousands on "better" solutions when I've already solved the problem with far less expense.

I'm doing fine here, no noise, black background, all solved for me using the ifi iDefender+ and good shielded cables. Solving noise problems can be frustrating, I spent quite a bit of time and expense already solving my local noise problems. I'm happy using what I have because it has worked for me long enough that I know I have a stable configuration.

Here are some of the relevant posts I've made in this thread about the noise problems with my D90/A90 configuration:

Last edited:
Top Bottom