• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

gryffe

Just as an update to above post, I've noticed that when selecting DSD with the MBA as Core Audio that the display on the D90 does not display DSD, it displays PCM. However when switching from the MBA to using my SMS 200 Network player the display on the D90 does correctly show DSD, which makes sense but I'm still stumped as to how the MBA cannot seem to get the D90 to recognise it is requested to play DSD files (if that is indeed what is happening?)

gryffe

Further update. I switched over to my Windows laptop and the DSD problem does not exist, plays the files no problem. So seems safe to say that for whatever reason my MBA has a problem playing DSD files on the D90 DAC. Must be a setting somewhere?

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Further update. I switched over to my Windows laptop and the DSD problem does not exist, plays the files no problem. So seems safe to say that for whatever reason my MBA has a problem playing DSD files on the D90 DAC. Must be a setting somewhere?
The only previously known problem on MacOS is for the D90 MQA version:

"This firmware is only for D90 MQA version. This firmware add 32bit support to D90 MQA version at USB input. If firmware of your D90 MQA version already V1.24, then you needn't do this update. Standard version of D90 already support 32bit at USB input so you needn't do this update either."

There is no driver needed for MacOS, the latest Windows 10 driver is 5.20 - the 1.24 download references v4.82 used at the time for Windows but that is no longer applicable (or available).
You can see your D90 (MQA?) firmware version via the Info tab in the Topping USB Audio Device Control Panel on Windows 10?:
1632532038499.png
Received the D90 today and so far very impressed with the results.
You received your D90 (MQA?) in Feb 2021, so it should have already had 1.24 firmware (Released 2020-07-01 11:19) installed, and this would only apply if you have the D90 MQA version. :)

Perhaps someone here on ASR has tried DSD with the D90 on a MacOS computer? Or @JohnYang1997 might know what to suggest.

Last edited:

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And, some great news for making use of the D90 BT functionality...

The Nintendo Switch System software release 13.0 added Bluetooth Audio support - yes the Nintendo Switch has always had the hardware capability, but it took Nintendo till now to figure out how to support BT Audio + 2 BT Controllers at the same time in the System Software.

The Nintendo Switch BT Audio sounds fine, and it is awesome/weird using Balanced headphone connections to the A90/TA-20 from the D90 MQA connected to the Nintendo Switch using BT input.

I haven't used the D90 MQA BT input very much at all up till now, but this Nintendo Switch BT Audio input to the D90 is great. I'm using my Hifiman HE6SE V2 via 4.4mm connected to the TA-20 (4-pin adapter) playing on the Switch connected to my D90 MQA via BT right now.

I haven't bothered connecting BT headphones directly to the Switch yet, but that should be fun too. Update: It is! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: trl

gryffe

The only previously known problem on MacOS is for the D90 MQA version:

"This firmware is only for D90 MQA version. This firmware add 32bit support to D90 MQA version at USB input. If firmware of your D90 MQA version already V1.24, then you needn't do this update. Standard version of D90 already support 32bit at USB input so you needn't do this update either."

There is no driver needed for MacOS, the latest Windows 10 driver is 5.20 - the 1.24 download references v4.82 used at the time for Windows but that is no longer applicable (or available).
You can see your D90 (MQA?) firmware version via the Info tab in the Topping USB Audio Device Control Panel on Windows 10:
View attachment 155451

You received your D90 (MQA?) in Feb 2021, so it should have already had 1.24 firmware (Released 2020-07-01 11:19) installed, and this would only apply if you have the D90 MQA version. :)

Perhaps someone here on ASR has tried DSD with the D90 on a MacOS computer? Or @JohnYang1997 might know what to suggest.
Thanks but I do not have MQA version.

ToxicRisk

Hello, I plan to buy a D90
I see that the D90 using one ak4499EQ, does it works in fully balanced? My amp is fully balanced, so a fully balanced system matter to me.

Also, there is no many DAC with the "new" ak4499EQ, but I saw that the Gustard A22 have two ak4499EQ. There is a difference between a dual mono chip architecture or single chip like de D90? Or it's totaly ponitless with the new chip generation like 4499EQ and 9038Pro

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I see that the D90 using one ak4499EQ, does it works in fully balanced? My amp is fully balanced, so a fully balanced system matter to me.

Also, there is no many DAC with the "new" ak4499EQ, but I saw that the Gustard A22 have two ak4499EQ. There is a difference between a dual mono chip architecture or single chip like de D90? Or it's totaly ponitless with the new chip generation like 4499EQ and 9038Pro

The D90 has a fully balanced out. The AK4499EQ is a 4 channel DAC, so in theory it can be used to output the hot and cold signals for two channels, even though it is not used like that - I think that the channels are single ended paralleled two by two and it’s the output stage that generates the balanced out. But stay assured that it is a real balanced out.

Apart from a barely measurable different in channel separation, there is no need to go for a dual chip DAC.

And if you can find the non-MQA version of the D90 this is the DAC to buy. The D90SE has the MQA crap only and as such it should be boycotted.

ToxicRisk

Precise and clear answer, thank you.
Indeed, I find a used D90 without MQA for 480$.
I also read that the SMSL M400 (4499eq) is a great unit too.

The 9038PRO chip is a 8 channel DAC, does it make any diffrence, like the D90SE (mqa....) ?

UCrazyKid

The original D90 with the AKM chip will be harder to find. The AKM factory burned down last year and they have been no more chips in the market and devices that use them have dried up. I suspect you will need to buy from the used marked.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
The original D90 with the AKM chip will be harder to find. The AKM factory burned down last year and they have been no more chips in the market and devices that use them have dried up. I suspect you will need to buy from the used marked.

Both great chips and I doubt one could hear any difference between proper implementations of a AK4499EQ and or a 9038PRO DAC, blindfolded.

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
Having heard the gustard x16 and a18 back to back I'd agree. I have a niggly naggly feeling one is cleaner up top and the other cleaner down below but I 100% wouldn't bet on spotting that blind.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Having heard the gustard x16 and a18 back to back I'd agree. I have a niggly naggly feeling one is cleaner up top and the other cleaner down below but I 100% wouldn't bet on spotting that blind.

In many cases I could swear to have heard big differences between DACs, but that was always sighted, whereas in most cases the only thing I could be absolutely sure was, for instance, just a difference in noise levels (that I could hear as very faint hisses and only with the head inside a 110Db sensitivity horn).

sq225917

Major Contributor
I here you. If a difference isn't blindingly obvious within a few seconds I always work on the principle that there aren't any.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I used to have the A22 and liked it a lot when your source is CD's.
I have the D90 which is better built, more reliable with other sources, smaller/lighter and the company behind is ..."clearly better".
Both are fully balanced. Double chips or a single AK4499 - I can't tell you, probably nobody can.
Your choice.

ToxicRisk

I learned that some DAC with MQA decoder puts ALL content, regardless of whether it is MQA or not, through the MQA decoder/filter
How is this going to impact the sound of non-MQA content ?
Does the D90 MQA have an option to disable MQA Decoder/Filters ?

Top Bottom