• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 vs D50S - help me decide?

Megaken

There was an issue with coax connection on D50S I believe - has that been resolved? Anything else I need to know? Maybe someone had experience with both?

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
What’s the issue with coax connection? I’ve used my D50S for two years and never had an issue with it?

OP
M

Megaken

Just google "topping D50S coax issue" - it's not one guy who doesn't know what he's doing

OP
M

Megaken

Who said I wouldn't use usb? I am using USB, but also getting a Pi2AES hat soon which will be coax.

OP
M

Megaken

Literally ask anyone who has one - it's day and night. Plus, I just want to try for myself - if it makes things better - good, if not - at least I tried and learned.

But the D50S - some people say it's great, and others say it's not that great.

Also I wanted LDAC, but already ended up getting e30 with a separate LDAC receiver which should be good enough.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Literally ask anyone who has one - it's day and night. Plus, I just want to try for myself - if it makes things better - good, if not - at least I tried and learned.

But the D50S - some people say it's great, and others say it's not that great.

Also I wanted LDAC, but already ended up getting e30 with a separate LDAC receiver which should be good enough.
I have an E50 and am very happy with it. The D50S is also very good so I think you could select either based on performance. The the E50 does have balanced outputs.

Regarding the Pi2AES HAT. It is not a DAC. It is a very good low jitter AES/SPDIF digital signal source but it still relies on a downstream DAC. Most current generation USB DAC run in asynchronous mode and are not prone to jitter. You are unlikely to be able to measure, and definitely not hear, a difference between a good USB DAC and the Pi2AES + DAC combo.

OP
M

Megaken

I have an E50 and am very happy with it. The D50S is also very good so I think you could select either based on performance. The the E50 does have balanced outputs.

Regarding the Pi2AES HAT. It is not a DAC. It is a very good low jitter AES/SPDIF digital signal source but it still relies on a downstream DAC. Most current generation USB DAC run in asynchronous mode and are not prone to jitter. You are unlikely to be able to measure, and definitely not hear, a difference between a good USB DAC and the Pi2AES + DAC combo.
You may be totally right. I'll let you know when I get the pi2aes :)
I wonder how e50 compares to e30.. Being ESS vs AKM and all..

ceausuc

You may be totally right. I'll let you know when I get the pi2aes :)
I wonder how e50 compares to e30.. Being ESS vs AKM and all..
I would get E50 in a heart beat. It is a fantastic little dac. Super-detailed, fast, good bass.
Never heard E30 but I doubt it can match all that. It is also half the cost...

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Once I hear people claiming day and night differences when you know there are no technical reasons why there would be any significant or even audible differences it makes me wonder where these people who hear the difference are posting. I suspect head-fi.

OP
M

Megaken

OP
M

Megaken

Oh lord please no.
I literally know nothing about hi end audio (started playing with it during pandemic), and trying different things to see what works, and learning what I can in the process. I'm also very sceptical of snake oil stuff, but still prefer to form opinions based on own experiences.

But what's your system, what works for you? What is your system

OP
M

Megaken

Oh. That's good too - coming into this I don't really know what sites are reputable and what are bs, so I value your feedback.
Also that was the first review that popped up when I googled it, but there are many others from different sites and people, and the consensus is always the same. Like I haven't seen another piece of equipment where literally everyone says holy shit this is amazing across the board.

Top Bottom