• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Active/Powered speakers the future?

Godataloss

I am curious--what drivers are you using? One of the main reasons I went active is being able to use really good drivers at a fraction of the cost of anything retail using same. As a for instance Bohlender Gruensfeld 60" ribbons, Scan Speak revelators midwoofers, Acoustic Elegance 15H, Audio Technology C-Quenze, various Satori drivers, Datyon Audio Reference Series of subwoofers, Aurum Cantus AMT's and ribbons etc. I never touched the diamond or ceramic stuff as that struck me as diminishing returns big time. Otherwise I look for "reasonably" priced outstanding drivers knowing that I don't have to worry about out of band resonances or reduced power handling near Fs. Chop it off he said about her head.
I use the BMS 4592nd on an Edgar horn by Volti Audio and Fostex t500 AMKIII tweeters in a modified Klipschorn. I'm ready to go active, but I'm unsure if I will keep the khorn bass bin or look for a better solution. The speakers are beautiful and for me the efficiency and effortless FR is what keeps me on this path. Wish I had more time to tinker.

JWAmerica

Yes, in hindsight I should have asked, "will audiophiles ever embrace active/powered speakers?"
Audiophiles or audiofools? The latter will continue to mix and match technologically outdated components and hide behind "whatever sounds best to you" and "it's a hobby" or "enjoyment is subjective".

JRS

Major Contributor
I use the BMS 4592nd on an Edgar horn by Volti Audio and Fostex t500 AMKIII tweeters in a modified Klipschorn. I'm ready to go active, but I'm unsure if I will keep the khorn bass bin or look for a better solution. The speakers are beautiful and for me the efficiency and effortless FR is what keeps me on this path. Wish I had more time to tinker.
One of these days I'm gonna open my mind and my wallet to get some first class highly directive gear as I'm dying to go BAACH and immerse myself in a gorgeous soundscape with unfettered dynamics that make you wonder if it is live. I get that and wish you the best. Until then it's all a reasonable facsimile.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of these days I'm gonna open my mind and my wallet to get some first class highly directive gear as I'm dying to go BAACH and immerse myself in a gorgeous soundscape with unfettered dynamics that make you wonder if it is live. I get that and wish you the best. Until then it's all a reasonable facsimile.

I bet JTR towers would work exceptionally well with BAACH.

Reactions: JRS

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audiophiles or audiofools? The latter will continue to mix and match technologically outdated components and hide behind "whatever sounds best to you" and "it's a hobby" or "enjoyment is subjective".

Enjoyment is subjective, and anyone arguing anything other than people choosing a system for home use based on what they enjoy most has an extemely hard case to make.

Godataloss

It's a fun system- the velvet sledgehammer.

Reactions: JRS

Godataloss

I actually see it as the opposite. Actives are better for 2 channel in my view, since the extra wiring is not a huge problem, and the sonic benefits are more appreciated(we get less discriminating as channel count increases). For HT, running both power and line cables for all 16 channels(or whatever you have) is a real pain.

Best of both worlds would be active but with your choice of external amplification and some way to apply the speaker DSP.
You've got a point. My ht is modest 5.2 and I haven't kept up with the state of the art. I would think a completely wireless mesh system should be possible unless Sonos' patents are stifling innovation. It took 20 years for 5.2 channel mastering to get commonly decent. Even if object-oriented mixing makes Atmos easier, I'm in no hurry to triple the speaker count.

JWAmerica

Enjoyment is subjective, and anyone arguing anything other than people choosing a system for home use based on what they enjoy most has an extemely hard case to make.
However the term high fidelity has a much narrower definition. Audiofools are in search of pleasing coloration, not fidelity.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
However the term high fidelity has a much narrower definition. Audiofools are in search of pleasing coloration, not fidelity.
Although its possible that they have had colored systems from the beginning and by sheer coincidence they find a tweak which restores the system to something resembling accuracy, and they find that they like that, even though that was not their conscious goal. Anything's possible. :oops:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
The fidelity high or low is a fantasy.
You don't how sounds the record in the mastering room.
You don't know how sounds the recording for live recording.
Search a pleasant sound, it's the voice of the reason.
Audiofool search the high fidelity.

JWAmerica

I would love some ABX testing with some of the hard liners around here trying to blindly pick out the 'highest fidelity' system.
You can however measure how close your system is capable of reproducing what is on the recording. That is the point. What happens in the mixing studio is a completely separate matter.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with this approach is that you end up with multiple systems where each specializes on a specific type of recordings. Just get an accurate system, use room treatment and EQ for neutral sound, and then use tone controls to change the sound to taste.

Ultrasonic

Who cares what label is placed on it? There is no reason for home audio to be about anything other than pleasure.

JRS

Major Contributor
I bet JTR towers would work exceptionally well with BAACH.
And compared to the rest on this list of super speakers with no realistic limits to loudness, the JTR 215's are relatively affordable at 7k/pr. And it's great to see horn loaded speakers reach this level of excellence in all respects! And interestingly the majority of these dragon slayer systems are active.

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

Words have meanings. Fidelity is clearly defined.

Again, so what? You're the only one even using the phrase. What was being discussed was audiophiles/'audiofools'.

I have never owned a turntable or valve amp but to dismiss those that gain pleasure from doing so as 'audiofools' is offensive nonsense. It would be far more foolish for people to not do things that increased their enjoyment of music.

JRS

Major Contributor
You can however measure how close your system is capable of reproducing what is on the recording. That is the point. What happens in the mixing studio is a completely separate matter.
I'm tackling the third edition of Toole's book Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms (Audio Engineering Society Presents). It's a point he hammers hard in the opening chapters as to the lack of any standards in studios re playback. But until such day and I imagine it's becoming more uniform (no more mastering using 10 dollar headphones stories), what recourse does one have but to make our systems as linear as possible. With the exceptionally accurate studio monitors available these days, it's a crime for any studio not to use them. One benefit of many of our home active systems is the utility of being able to apply very accurate PEQ and save it for those recordings to otherwise die for should one be so inclined.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I would love some ABX testing with some of the hard liners around here trying to blindly pick out the 'highest fidelity' system.
Beyond the threshold of audibility there are no differences to hear, making any ABX tests pointless in that realm. The problem arises when subjectivists claim their ears are more sensitive than an APx555, when the reality has more to do with imagination than hearing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom