• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Food: didn't know Italians were so picky about their carbonara!

Wombat

Master Contributor
Reminds me of this forum. Hifi vis a vie AnyFi.
hide.gif

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor

Can't have garlic in an Italian pasta dish? Who knew!!!

Again, you show lack of understanding for standards! Without standards, no science. And no good carbonara! Do you make your pizza too without adhering to standards??? You will soon be caught by the Neopolitan inquisition!

(http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/en/)

I think Europeans have a better understanding for standards than Americans. Americans are all cowboys and Texas. You’ll never learn!

Ironically and teasingly yours,

;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Again, you show lack of understanding for standards! Without standards, no science. And no good carbonara! Do you make your pizza too without adhering to standards??? You will soon be caught by the Neopolitan inquisition!

I think Europeans have a better understanding for standards than Americans. Americans are all cowboys and Texas. You’ll never learn!

;)

The Scots deep-fry Pizza. :eek:

ripvw

Forum Donor

;)

got a list of all the restaurants in the US that are members from that link - thanks!

nessuno si aspetta l'inquisizione napoletana!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
got a list of all the restaurants in the US that are members from that link - thanks!

I think our favorite, Spacca Napoli, has this certification. The pizza is superb, as good as what I would get in my days of going to Italy regularly.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Actually, a little bit of garlic in Carbonara is OK. As long as you only use it to flavour the sauce and then remove it.

What is NOT OK: cream, or peas, or mushrooms. The meat HAS to be either guanciale or pancetta, cut thick, and slowly fried until crispy.

Jimshoe

Self confessed Carbonara onbessive here . . .

Two useful videos for those chasing perfection:

Done right, it's a thing of beauty

Doug

dfuller

Major Contributor
Can't have garlic in an Italian pasta dish?
Yep. They really don't use much garlic, not the way Italian American food does.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yep. They really don't use much garlic, not the way Italian American food does.
Is it possibly because fresh Italian garlic is more flavourful/potent and therefore they don’t need to use as much? Honest question.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Italians, they even hate pinapple on there pizza hawai.

Strange people. ;)

dfuller

Major Contributor
Is it possibly because fresh Italian garlic is more flavourful/potent and therefore they don’t need to use as much? Honest question.
No, they just don't use garlic everywhere. Doesn't need it.

Tremolo

The funny thing is that while there are a lot of pasta recipes with real "standards" with strict rules preserved by some kind of chapter (Amatriciana or Ragù alla bolognese, for instance) this is not the case with Carbonara. It is not possible to trace the origins of carbonara but there is no sign it even existed before WWII. One theory is that could be a pasta dish created or inspired by allied soldiers. If you think about it, it's a sort of eggs and bacon with pasta. So it's true, we italians are really picky about food but for carbonara there are no strict rules. I have my own ideas and tastes but you could use parmigiano or pecorino or both, guanciale, pancetta or bacon and so on.

Top Bottom