• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why not more external USB DACs and/or AIOs with MIC in?

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Companies like SMSL, Topping and Gustard all have many USB DACs in their lineup and honestly I think the USB DAC segment is (getting) saturated with minimal differences between different models.

However when you look at USB DACs/AIOs with MIC in there are not so many choices.
Most obvious choices are the Schiit Fulla/Hel and the Mayflower Electronics ARC MKII. Those are all marketed as "gaming" devices and targeted at the "gaming" audience. Why don't companies like Topping, SMSL and the like release a DAC/AIO with MIC in?

Especially now in 2021 with the COVID-19 pandemic going on working from home is very common. Many companies state that they will continue supporting/encouraging working from home after COVID-19 as studies show the positive effects of working from home.
More and more people are therefor in need of a home setup that is capable of audio/video meetings which includes a microphone.

Personally I believe there is a market for an Topping/SMSL USB DAC/AIO with MIC in that is not geared/marketed towards "gaming". Such a DAC/AIO would be far more interesting to me than yet another USB DAC that now has a 3dB higher SINAD and a slightly different display.

Are there more people interested in such a DAC/AIO?
It would be something to stand out in an otherwise saturated DAC market imho.

OP
Lupin

Lupin

Of course there are options out there like USB interfaces.. but that brings an extra box which requires power so power cable or adapter which needs additional poweroutlet available and prolly some extra set of drivers to install.

Why not have everything conveniently in one box with one software control panel?

To me at least that would be far more interesting/usable/practical than just another DAC with 3dB higher SINAD then the last which you will not notice in any way.

Trell

Major Contributor
Of course there are options out there like USB interfaces.. but that brings an extra box which requires power so power cable or adapter which needs additional poweroutlet available and prolly some extra set of drivers to install.

Why not have everything conveniently in one box with one software control panel?

To me at least that would be far more interesting/usable/practical than just another DAC with 3dB higher SINAD then the last which you will not notice in any way.

If an audio device like MOTU M2 is powerful enough for your headphones, your good to go. There is also the newly released RME UCX II with a more powerful headphone amp (not tested yet) along with a ton of other features but also a with price tag to match.

OP
Lupin

Lupin

If an audio device like MOTU M2 is powerful enough for your headphones, your good to go.
Poor DAC performance with IMD hump and poor linearity paired with a very weak HP amplifier... Don't see how this would be an alternative for a DAC/AIO with MIC in combo I proposed.

Trell

Major Contributor
Poor DAC performance with IMD hump and poor linearity paired with a very weak HP amplifier... Don't see how this would be an alternative for a DAC/AIO with MIC in combo I proposed.

Then you are out of luck until RME releases a new version of RME ADI-2 PRO BE that has a mic preamp, not that you'll hear any difference unless your headphones needs more power or uses RME features like PEQ, Dynamic Loudness, Auto Ref level, ...

Zensō

Major Contributor

Why is it an extra box? An audio interface (DAC+ADC) replaces the DAC. Here’s a nice one for desktop use:

https://www.rme-audio.de/babyface-pro-fs.html

Of course they’re more expensive than simple DACs because they’re more complex and provide much more flexibility.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Companies like SMSL, Topping and Gustard all have many USB DACs in their lineup and honestly I think the USB DAC segment is (getting) saturated with minimal differences between different models.

However when you look at USB DACs/AIOs with MIC in there are not so many choices.
Most obvious choices are the Schiit Fulla/Hel and the Mayflower Electronics ARC MKII. Those are all marketed as "gaming" devices and targeted at the "gaming" audience. Why don't companies like Topping, SMSL and the like release a DAC/AIO with MIC in?

Especially now in 2021 with the COVID-19 pandemic going on working from home is very common. Many companies state that they will continue supporting/encouraging working from home after COVID-19 as studies show the positive effects of working from home.
More and more people are therefor in need of a home setup that is capable of audio/video meetings which includes a microphone.

Personally I believe there is a market for an Topping/SMSL USB DAC/AIO with MIC in that is not geared/marketed towards "gaming". Such a DAC/AIO would be far more interesting to me than yet another USB DAC that now has a 3dB higher SINAD and a slightly different display.

why ? because you have audio interfaces.:rolleyes:

OP
Lupin

Lupin

Why is it an extra box? An audio interface (DAC+ADC) replaces the DAC. Here’s a nice one for desktop use:

https://www.rme-audio.de/babyface-pro-fs.html

Of course they’re more expensive than simple DACs because they’re more complex and provide much more flexibility.

To be clear I'm aware of the existence of audio interfaces but that is a different targeted audience imho.
They have mediocre DAC performance, very weak HP output or a combination of the two. The audio interfaces that score at least "meh" in both areas are very expensive as they come with tons of features which are not important nor need for your video conference every now and then.

I wouldn't direct people to an very expensive audio interface with tons of features they will never use or need when people show intrest in the Hel/Fulla or ARC MKII.

Of course you can think of 1001 work around ways like add-on USB microphone.. that was never the point..

I still think there is market for let say an D30Pro with a decent ADC baked in for people who want Hi-Fi audio DAC and need a microphone input for the occasional video conference.

Zensō

Major Contributor
To be clear I'm aware of the existence of audio interfaces but that is a different targeted audience imho.
They have mediocre DAC performance, very weak HP output or a combination of the two. The audio interfaces that score at least "meh" in both areas are very expensive as they come with tons of features which are not important nor need for your video conference every now and then.

I wouldn't direct people to an very expensive audio interface with tons of features they will never use or need when people show intrest in the Hel/Fulla or ARC MKII.

Of course you can think of 1001 work around ways like add-on USB microphone.. that was never the point..

I still think there is market for let say an D30Pro with a decent ADC baked in for people who want Hi-Fi audio DAC and need a microphone input for the occasional video conference.
Yeah, I now understand what you’re saying: we need something between the Schiit Hel and a full blown interface like the Babyface, specifically targeting the work-at-home market. Seems like a niche that Schiit or Topping could exploit. I use the Babyface in this way (among many other uses), so it seems like an obvious choice to me, but agreed, it’s probably overkill for many.

It seems that perhaps the Schiit Hel meets the requirements you’re listing (Schiit even describes it as being for “communications”, among other things). Besides the obvious “gamer” aesthetic, what do you see as missing from the Hel?

Trell

Major Contributor

My first reaction when I read your first post is that you're asking for an audio interface and apparently I'm not alone thinking that. There are several inexpensive audio interfaces reviewed on ASR that are audibly transparent with very good mic preamps, however many audio interfaces have weak headphone amps but if they drive your headphones loud enough who cares?

My initial reason for replacing my MOTU M2 (that I use several times a week for work video calls) was to have a more powerful headphone amp for my Beyerdynamics DT-880. I wanted a "one-applicance-solution" on my desktop but ended up with keeping my M2 for mic duties and adding the RME-2 DAC FS for its features.

Have a look of a picture I made for how front addressed mic differs from side addressed in terms of size when doing video calls. Looks awful with an unwieldy cable mess?

Edit: Grammar, spelling. I think :oops:
1630079045135.png

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor

The audiophile bias in two sentences. Do an ABX.

Zensō

Major Contributor
My first reaction when I read your first post is that you're asking for an audio interface and apparently I'm not alone thinking that. There are several inexpensive audio interfaces reviewed on ASR that are audibly transparent with very good mic preamps, however many audio interfaces have weak headphone amps but if they drive your headphones loud enough who cares?

My initial reason for replacing my MOTU M2 (that I use several times a week for work video calls) was to have a more powerful headphone amp for my Beyerdynamics DT-880. I wanted a "one-applicance-solution" on my desktop but ended up with keeping my M2 for mic duties and adding the RME-2 DAC FS for its features.

Have a look of a picture I made for how front addressed mic differs from side addressed in terms of size when doing video calls. Looks awful with an unwieldy cable mess?

Edit: Grammar, spelling. I think :oops:
View attachment 149901
Nice setup. Which Genelecs are those?

Trell

Major Contributor
Nice setup. Which Genelecs are those?

They are 8330A along with 7360 subwoofer, calibrated with GLM. On my left is my wife place and she also have 8830A, except the subwoofer.

This is a home office which have seen more than a little use during the pandemic and is also a major reason (excuse ? o_O) why we have upgraded so many things.

Paolo

It would certainly be handy. All the replies talking about other solutions seems to miss the point, the OP is asking for a sensible all in one aimed at the consumer who want convenient quality in a home office situation.
RME could do the perfect product, they already have all the tech required. I would instantly buy a new ADI2 DAC with mic inputs and maybe (pretty please) a bit more power.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
It would certainly be handy. All the replies talking about other solutions seems to miss the point, the OP is asking for a sensible all in one aimed at the consumer who want convenient quality in a home office situation.
RME could do the perfect product, they already have all the tech required. I would instantly buy a new ADI2 DAC with mic inputs and maybe (pretty please) a bit more power.
RME made product for professional not audiophile.

How much audiophile needs a mic ?

Top Bottom