• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can we remake plastic waste into a rocket fuel?

lord45

Scientists from one space company figured out how to remake plastic waste into rocket fuel that has already been successfully tested. This type of rocket fuel can be used in some small launches like delivering microsatellites and so on... The new type of fuel for rockets might be another step towards solving environmental issues.

Katji

Major Contributor
Plastic...?...I doubt that it can ever help solving the problem. ...I think the only solution will be finding a way to use nuclear energy......and managing the radioactive "waste" material safely. iow, Managing it so it can be recycled, as in re-used. *Unless* leaving waste in "space" will be ok.
The crux of it now is that we [humans] thought that smoke, waste non-reusable material generated in energy transformation just wafts out into space. And now we know it does not.

Maybe people will eventually realise that dumping stuff like shxt/excrement and so on into the sea is also going to become a serious problem.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
One can make pretty much anything into anything else (with obvious chemical and physical constraints) -- but the question will always be, "at what net energy cost?"
The Second Law of Thermodynamics is pretty ironclad. :rolleyes:

Plus, burning hydrocarbons is always gonna yield carbon dioxide. A rocket's worth will yield up plenty of it indeed.

Katji

Major Contributor
And whatever the consequences of it in Space [so-called?] whatever is used to launch space ships stays in the atmosphere, or somewhere on the planet.

Katji

Major Contributor
Dealing with plastic waste by burning it. Brilliant :):)
Believe me as a South African, I have seen what happens when they burn plastic insulation on [stolen/scrap] cables.

...And people living or working anywhere near "landfill" rubbish dumps have a very serious problem.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

This is being done on a large scale in Massachusetts to generate electricity. Scrubbers are used to clean up the exhaust.

Xombul

Forum Donor
The answer is too complicated : It's rocket scienceo_O

MCH

Major Contributor
The positive part is "reusing" carbon already on the surface instead of bringing to the cycle "new" carbon from oil.
In between the several negative counterparts are, as someone pointed out, that chances are more energy is used in the process (from building the equipment, collecting and transporting the materials etc etc and of course the actual proccess) than saved, that this might be seen by the public as something more innocuous than it actually is, that the application is so niche that why to bother and not invest the effort in something bigger scale etc etc etc
But well, sometimes these symbolic efforts result in technological advances that can be applied somewhere else....
I work in the plastics industry and can tell you these issues are far from being solved, in my opinion biodegradability being the best to shoot for as of today.
But sometimes, thinking in perspective, comparing the tiny amount of plastics we use and dump with a huge environmental damage compared to the masive amount of oil that we burn going on vacation to Mallorca or driving everyday to work or running a class A amp 24/7, one wonders if it would be better to burn as much as possible and forget...

Marc v E

Major Contributor
@lord45: I think your post was meant well, so thank you for that.

The example above reminds me of an article I read in Wired. They measured the CO2 from two processes: 1 from reusing a glass bottle and 1 from using a plastic one. They came to the conclusion the plastic one produced less CO2 because of the energy used in producing the glass bottle and the process of cleaning it.
I've read something similar on plastic bags vs paper bags.

When I first read this, I felt like there was something not right in their reasoning. Then I realized they completely dismissed the source of energy and the fundamentals behind the CO2 problem. The problem with CO2 is not that it's produced but that it is added to the current, stable CO2 cycle. We are pumping oil from somewhere that is outside the CO2 cycle and adding it in, in vast amounts. Thus anything that's made from oil adds to the CO2 already in the cycle, making the climate hotter and less stable. While anything that can be reused while using green energy like wind or sun is not adding extra CO2 and is thus environmentally friendly.

Anyway, I thought this might help.
SpaceX for instance uses Methane which they intend to produce themselves by using wind or solar power to produce it from water and CO2. They also need to do this because it is needed on Mars to produce fuel to bring the rockets back.

The Everyday Astronaut and Scott Manly have really good quality youtube channels, should you want to know more about rockets. And Potholer54 has some great videos on the environment and debunking weird science claims. (He used to be a bbc journalist)

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
The biggest issue with plastic nowadays is not CO2 emissions but where it ends up (poluting soil and oceans) and how long it takes to disappear. Glass and paper don't have that problem. In terms of CO2 emissions we can't forget how plastics helped make everything much lighter (cleaner mobility), compared to the previous age of everything made of heavier materials.
Bringing rockets to space uses a lot of energy, wherever it comes from, but brings many benefits to humanity, while it doesn't end up being just a few minutes of fun for Bezos & co... all good.
What can we do in a place like this forum? In an age when a bulb uses 10 watts, and s decent sized tv can use less than 100, it is amazing to see how much some audio equipment still demands and how much power that is never used some audio enthusiasts ask for and through to the sink. ASR is not specially gilty here, but still...
Don't take me wrong, but starting with daily small things can make a difference in the long term

Frgirard

Major Contributor
The problem with the plastic is the oil used to make it.
The problem is the co2.

MCH

Major Contributor
How much does your supermarket plastic bags weight?

How much gasoline do you burn in your way to the supermarket? (Compare with the previous number)

How much gasoline would you need for the same trip if your car didn't have any plastic (includes composite) parts? (Compare with the previous number)

It is just an example, but very representative, think about it

Marc v E

Major Contributor
How much does your supermarket plastic bags weight?

How much gasoline do you burn in your way to the supermarket? (Compare with the previous number)

How much gasoline would you need for the same trip if your car didn't have any plastic (includes composite) parts? (Compare with the previous number)

It is just an example, but very representative, think about it
I've been thinking about it. What about driving an electric car that was charged with green energy...a bag that is made from paper ... and metals that can be reused?

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
All that would be great!
Last comment (promised): the success of electromobility would never be possible without.... lighter (plastic) materials!!
Seems that i am being payed to defend them, but believe me, it is true!

Koeitje

Major Contributor
@lord45: I think your post was meant well, so thank you for that.

The example above reminds me of an article I read in Wired. They measured the CO2 from two processes: 1 from reusing a glass bottle and 1 from using a plastic one. They came to the conclusion the plastic one produced less CO2 because of the energy used in producing the glass bottle and the process of cleaning it.
I've read something similar on plastic bags vs paper bags.
The problem with plastics is not the CO2 created during production, its the fact that it takes ages for it to get rid off. Micro plastic pollution is a major issue. I'm no chemist so I don't know if burning plastic completely destroys it, but if it does it might actually be a good option.[/QUOTE]

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So we solve mitigate one problem (plastic waste) by adding to another one (CO2 buildup).
Got it!
:(

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Just in case you don't know, burning plastic is actually more environmentally friendly than recycling. Yes, I know what we all have be taught about recycling plastic. Unfortunately, recycling plastic isn't as easy and environmentally friendly as you might think.

You can search for youtube on how plastic bottles are recycled into yarn for clothing. Then you will realise its not that easy. First, the bottles are shredded, label has to be removed (paper labels need to use chemicals to remove), then the plastic has to be cleaned and dried. AFter that, it will be melted down and turn into yarn.

Apart from clean water and chemicals needed, alot of energy is needed as well esp. in drying phase. The carbon footprint from recycling 1 bottle is even higher than burning the bottle. So, its simply easier to burn the plastic as fuel (heard of waste to power?) then filter the exhaust to remove any harmful chemicals.

Top Bottom