• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How would you design the Ultimate Magnepan?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Comment on the phase would interest me. Crossover is at 180Hz. Do dynamic drivers keep the phase alignment as well? I've not seen many measurements of that.
2015-12-24_2310.png

Is the phase unwrapped Ray? Regardless, I have not seen one that flatlines that way.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is the phase unwrapped Ray? Regardless, I have not seen one that flatlines that way.

Yes it is unwrapped, and repeatable.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Essentially the same, though it does a little work on the bass frequencies.

August 2014

2016-04-07_2126.png

I typically measure/observe in stereo. If the mic is not carefully centered phase goes mad.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It still feels like there is some kind of phase compensation going on.

REW -> Optical -> DAC -> Pre -> Amps -> Speakers. This is before the miniDSP showed up. Display below is quite zoomed in.

The output of the Pre is relatively phaseless... 4 degrees at 20Hz. There's 25 feet of unbalanced cable between the pre and PC, FR is about +/- 0.1dB

Not measured are the amplifiers, which I would expect to have similar lack of signature.

2016-04-07_2215.png

Here's an example of the pre-out with AcourateDRC applied to the miniDSP:

2016-04-07_2235.png

Last edited:

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
You post an impedance graph you said doesn't show resonances.
Right, the Montis.

Now you say Dr. Toole showed you the same that did
No, he showed me the imedance for the speaker they tested, not "the same". Not the Montis. A much earlier ML, prior to the infusion of engineering talent he also informed me about. The resonance, in the Stereophile measurement he showed me, was clear as day and matched what was seen in the FRs.

And that both he and Dr. Olive's use of the term resonance was therefore correct unlike what you said earlier.
Right, I said I now totally agree with him/Sean. Their example had resonances. In a very bad area, 1-3k, where (audible threshold) sensitivity is high. So no surprise at all, it fared rather poorly in listening tests.
It would have very audible resonances, which quick switch blind tests would be highly revealing of.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I posted my phase graphs, in the interest of some lightweight observation and query.

Do we have any volunteers to post one of theirs from cones and/or horns?

How about from a pair of Magnepans?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
BTW here is my graph:

upload_2016-4-8_8-36-58.png

Isn't that pretty! :D Seriously, to have the graphs be comparable to each other we would need to standardized on smoothing and scale. Otherwise, it is very easy to show incorrect information like above (which was produced due to much shrunk vertical scale).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Seriously, to have the graphs be comparable to each other we would need to standardized on smoothing and scale.

I don't see any phase information in your graph, the first step would be to show the data for which I am curious, then we can argue the decorative qualities.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Now see, scaling isn't a problem at all (yet).

The phase content, on the other hand, has me scratching what's left of my head a little.

What do you make of it?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Note: I do NOT calibrate my microphone for acoustic measurements (level or frequency response). So don't go by absolute levels, roll off, etc.

Don't be afraid. After all, it is MY speakers that are crap.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I've lost the plot here, what are we doing?
He is asking why it is that the phase delay in his measurements become zero after some frequency and stays that way. Look at his measurements.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Don't be afraid. After all, it is MY speakers that are crap.
No, the only speakers that are crap is whatever AJ produces. Compared to that, we all have the most transparent speakers! :D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I've lost the plot here, what are we doing?

I'm curious about phase measurements of different speaker systems.

The thread is "How would you design the Ultimate Magnepan?" which is a planar type speaker and mine are sort-of planars, and phase interests me (and JJ from a post at AVS and the Rythmik guy (whose name escapes me at the moment) who said "Impossible") so rather than me just making snide remarks about obtuse things or going totally out of the realm of the topic, I'm looking for some information or experience on this subtopic.

I see very few measurements if I googulate the topic, if I did, I might not be asking.

Phase is pretty much irrelevant for 'steady' tone, but I would think it has some bearing on the perception of transients or attacks.

Do you have any old measurements you could contribute?

If you guys like, I'll shut up, if discussing this a little is too painful or otherwise forbidden in Professional Scientific Audio Circles.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now see, scaling isn't a problem at all (yet).

The phase content, on the other hand, has me scratching what's left of my head a little.

What do you make of it?
You and me both. :) With a delay from the speaker, the phase differential should be proportional to frequency but obviously is not in your measurements. I am hoping Don or someone else chimes in with an explanation.

Did you do any IR calculations in REW or any other setting that might affect timing?

Top Bottom