• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Prefer the MartinLogan Neolith?

martinlogan-neolith-speaker-1.jpg
skelechair.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm nominating my a/d/s L 400e speakers. Very simple, very classic, very Braun:

IMG_20210719_162152153.jpg

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This company makes some amazing looking showy speakers but I'd expect to find them only in one of Jeff Bezos', Elon Musk's, or Richard Branson's homes. Also because they cost like that, too.

https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/loudspeakers

IMO these look extravagant, unusual, and a bit pretentious like someone would own them just to make visitors want to start a conversation about them. The OMA Monarch.

View attachment 142249

Good to see this thread revived. There's a lot of super nice looking speakers to get mentioned here.

Their big selling point seems to be that they are the only ones making conical horns. A throwback to the 40s when speakers had to be super efficient.

Blaspheme

500 meters to the speakers = bad sound. And what’s this thing with postmodernist minimalism and glass? No real enthusiast lives like that. Posh wankery.

Meanwhile IRL:
(Bolt those OA 51’s on the wall and call it a day)

View attachment 142154
I'm neglecting an opportunity for arrant pedantry—looking at the examples in my post and your reply "postmodernist" would be the Oswalds Mill Mini, being an ironic rejection of the grand narratives and ideologies associated with modernism (ASR's grand-march-of-science narrative included). The Audio Physic would be "minimalist"—basic geometric form without decoration (at least the monochromatic glazed version, the woodgrain-under-glass adds some ornamental characteristics even though the execution is still sparse/geometric). But "postmodernist minimalism" is a non sequitur.

As you don't like the minimalist architecture, here's something sympathetic for period tastes:

audiophysic-tempo-header.jpg

And, speaking of Ironic:

Ironic.jpg

Last edited:

Blaspheme

Their big selling point seems to be that they are the only ones making conical horns. A throwback to the 40s when speakers had to be super efficient.
I agree for some OMA examples, but general selling points would have to include ironic postmodernism and pricing that keeps the hoi polloi at bay.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a jones for the look of the Devore O/96 speakers. Something about their sort of mid-century throw-back styling, but with beautiful craftsmanship and veneers, really does it for me:

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 12.07.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 12.04.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 12.05.29 AM.png

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah the Audio Notes look less stylish to my eye too. I think Devore nailed the proportions (for a retro look) and finish quality.

redshift

I neglecting an opportunity for arrant pedantry—looking at the examples in my post and your reply "postmodernist" would be the Oswalds Mill Mini, being an ironic rejection of the grand narratives and ideologies associated with modernism (ASR's grand-march-of-science narrative included). The Audio Physic would be "minimalist"—basic geometric form without decoration (at least the monochromatic glazed version, the woodgrain-under-glass adds some ornamental characteristics even though the execution is still sparse/geometric). But "postmodernist minimalism" is a non sequitur.

As you don't like the minimalist architecture, here's something sympathetic for period tastes:

View attachment 142302

And, speaking of Ironic:

View attachment 142300

Yep, the nouveau riche’s jank (not junk)… :facepalm: And the sheen in those glass framed rooms is like a scene from a cosmetics commercial trying to peddle (post) modernist ‘ideals’ to show offs and plebs alike.

I’d bet IKEA could ship competent 70’s speaker designs (OA14 and OA12) by the container loads together with their LG sourced tevee’s if they’d be wlan’d, streamer’d and plate amped. Plug and pray, no Allen key included, shove ‘em against the wall, flip the switch and call it a day.

1626764985265.jpeg

1626763420745.jpeg

mononoaware

Last edited:

redshift

Just had time to look up the speakers and found a nice picture.

Screen_Shot_2016-06-15_at_15.22_.58_.png

And also an evolution. . . although I prefer the simplicity of the model above.

7760ce551399d3294899920530c94aa8--speaker-design-loudspeaker.jpg

I lack the understanding to appreciate what is going on. . .

file.php

That speaker “philosophy” is called orthoacoustic and assumes the room as a given for a well sounding system.

The OA12’s from the 70’s seems the best. Small, affordable, well sounding and measuring updated with SB Acoustic Satori midbass drivers and Obi tweeters and replaced xovers.

https://www-carlssonkult-se.transla...x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=sv&_x_tr_pto=ajax,nv,elem

Shopping list (I’ve got no affiliation Hifi kit)

https://www.hifikit.se/od-11-oa-14-delningsfilter-satori-mod.html#horizontalTab1

https://www.hifikit.se/satori-mw16p-8.html

https://www.hifikit.se/t22-oa.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom