• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine too.
I am having a complete change, after 40 years of V8s I had a drive of one on Friday, ordered this today, now the wait!

I love the wheel choice I made but they will be the least aerodynamic!
My most frequent passenger is my dog, so space for him was paramount.
There are so many models of the Panamera. They are all very nice. Which model did you order?

Craylock

It´s 2021 for Chrissakes. Who on Earth is imbecillic enough to drag their cars forth as anything positive at all. Show me your coal plant, and how much toxic waste you have managed to make next? Get an ethos!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It´s 2021 for Chrissakes. Who on Earth is imbecillic enough to drag their cars forth as anything positive at all. Show me your coal plant, and how much toxic waste you have managed to make next? Get an ethos!
If you don't like cars, then don't own or use one. Otherwise you are off topic for the thread. If you'd like to give an accounting of the toxic waste you are responsible for and asking others do the same then maybe a new thread topic is in order. I could show the pictures of the coal plant and the nuclear plant that supply the bulk of the electricity where I live, but then I don't own an electric car. I'm still burning dino by-products.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

1626721904337.png

Craylock

If you don't like cars, then don't own or use one. Otherwise you are off topic for the thread. If you'd like to give an accounting of the toxic waste you are responsible for and asking others do the same then maybe a new thread topic is in order. I could show the pictures of the coal plant and the nuclear plant that supply the bulk of the electricity where I live, but then I don't own an electric car. I'm still burning dino by-products.

So anything goes? Is that it? Show me your guns or your Yemeni child bride is all okay? As long as it is in a thread for guns or child brides? (I decided not to own cars in 1986/87 since the development towards an ecological crisis was pretty clear already then, but I will leave you to it). Bye!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
ICE power is still the most common available and solves most needs for drivers as compared to rechargeable cars having lotsa issues still.
Snark Meter.gif

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So anything goes? Is that it? Show me your guns or your Yemeni child bride is all okay? As long as it is in a thread for guns or child brides? (I decided not to own cars in 1986/87 since the development towards an ecological crisis was pretty clear already then, but I will leave you to it). Bye!
Jump to confusions much? Did you think you'd shame us car owners here? I mean billions of people own cars world wide. Not exactly controversial or something most will feel any shame about. Quick to put words into someone else's mouth and make assumptions about other topics not in evidence.

Chill, you appear to be a new member. You are welcome here, but maybe some audio topics are more fit for initial posting till you get a feel for the forum.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Hey, there's another benefit to lightweight cars: environmental impact. All else equal, less weight makes them handle better, stop quicker, accelerate faster, use less gas, and fewer materials used in construction. Reliability means you can keep driving it for many years, not scrap it and buy a new car, which reduces your resource footprint, making it even more "green".

I think the data suggests that passenger cars aren't as bad as many people think they are. To put into perspective, passenger cars make up about 40% of transport emissions, which make up 30% of total emissions. So that's 0.4 * 0.3 = 12% of total emissions. But even that overstates things, because 90% of car emissions comes from 25% of the cars. Of course these are the old cars. So all the new cars put together (which far outnumber the old cars) make up only about 1.2% of total emissions.

For comparison, meat and dairy production account for about 15% of total greenhouse gas emissions. So if everyone stopped eating meat & dairy we'd do more to reduce emissions than banning passenger cars outright. And we'd all be healthier too.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about heavier than your typical car, but cars in general are getting heavier. Of the 7 models I listed, the Boxster is the only one < 3000 lbs. And that's not just Porsches getting heavier, it's all of them. Especially electrics. Teslas are around 5,000 lbs. !
There is something special about good handling light cars. No amount of wide tires and suspension work can make a 5,000 lbs. car as nimble as a 2,000 lb. car.
The thing that impressed me and others is how nimble the Taycan is. Partly the chassis engineering but probably mainly the very low C of G due to the layout.
It felt like a much lighter car.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing that impressed me and others is how nimble the Taycan is. Partly the chassis engineering but probably mainly the very low C of G due to the layout.
It felt like a much lighter car.
I've not driven one, but talked to a few people who have. They all say the same thing about it. The thing weighs more than 5000 lbs, but they describe it being nimble like a car of half that bulk. Low CofG does help apparently.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not driven one, but talked to a few people who have. They all say the same thing about it. The thing weighs more than 5000 lbs, but they describe it being nimble like a car of half that bulk. Low CofG does help apparently.
Yes, overall the best car I have driven. The instant throttle response EVs give is amazing and the chassis feels just like a 911.
I saw a video of a drag race between one and a twin turbo V8 tuned US car driven by a pro drag racer and they were convinced the Taycan jumped the lights, it was initially way faster, and won over iirc 1000 ft but was just overhauled at 1500ft.
The more expensive models pull a similar g level of acceleration to the deceleration of an emergency stop, it makes some people nauseous.

Last edited:

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
...guns or child brides?

I honestly can't believe anyone would equate these two things, and essentially in the same sentence as cars, all on the same level of evil. That's just confusing.

I'm sure we will all welcome you if you want to contribute to any of the audio threads, otherwise, don't let the door hit you as the sayin goes. If you chose to do the former, please chose to bring more sanity and logic than the above equivalencies.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. Porsche invited me to drive a few of their cars around the local racetrack this week (911, Panamera, Macan, Cayenne, Taycan, Cayman, Boxster). It's been over 20 years since I was into amateur racing, so I'm very curious to see how things have changed.
I am not sure the Taycan will be as good a track car as a 911 or 718 but as a fast road car it has everything else i have tried beat on performance, handling and comfort, and it is a 4 door estate car (station wagon)

Top Bottom