• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

charleski

Major Contributor
Thanks! So this is the first DAC to measure with noise below the audibility threshold?
No.

The exact level at which noise becomes detectable is not precisely defined and depends on details of the experimental setup. But good DACs have had an SNR below 115dB for decades now, and that’s definitely beyond the threshold.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great review Amir. Makes it a lot easier if you want to own the best measuring product now!

Does Topping have a reputation for putting out bad products? I mean new products from an established supplier doesn't necessarily need an early adopter warning does it? I think Topping as earned some trust (but I don't know what I don't know).
If they are better or worse than other manufacturers I don’t know, and in terms of measured values of SINAD and other things they can probably be trusted. But in terms of functionality there have been issues. Some people have encountered problems with Topping's relatively recently launched D30 Pro. Including me. So I will not buy a Topping product again until it has been on the market for a while. There have been some problems for some of us who bought the D30 Pro. Some of these errors will, as far as I understand, be fixed with an upcoming FW update. As for the problem that the D30 Pro does not work with some CD players, there is apparently no solution. But that the later is really a problem, as far as I know, has not been officially admitted by Topping. The answer we got is probably rather that there is something wrong with the CD players because they have too much jitter.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes. If they are better or worse than other manufacturers I don’t know, and in terms of measured values of SINAD and other things they can probably be tristed. But in terms of functionality issues. There have been some problems with Topping's relatively recently launched D30 Pro. So I will not buy a Topping product again until it has been on the market for a while. There have been some problems for some of us who bought the D30 Pro. Some of these errors will, as far as I understand, be fixed with an upcoming FW update. As for the problem that the D30 Pro does not work with some CD players, there is apparently no solution. But that this is really a problem, as far as I know, has not been officially admitted by Topping. The answer we got is probably rather that there is something wrong with the CD players because they have too much jitter.
The issue has been talked about a few times in different threads including this one.

Mulder

Forum Donor
The issue has been talked about a few times in different threads including this one.
Yes I know. But if someone is asking if there have been issues, I think the correct answer is yes. Or is it your opinion that anything I wrote is not correct. Did I miss something? If i did then please correct me.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes I know. But if someone is asking if there have been issues, I think the correct answer is yes. Or is it your opinion that anything I wrote is not correct. Did I miss something? If i did then please correct me.
No no no. I wasn't saying you shouldn't say there is issue. Just I don't quite get your perspective as you have read my comments on this issue. This CD player issue is a very wide spread issue just only after ak4118 shortage it became prominent. Fiio, SMSL, Gustard and us all have some devices with the issue. X16 apparently has the problem too but no one complained. And the issue doesn't not appear with D90se.
Answering his question is fine but this is clearly wide spread issue with discussion in many places.
And it's true the jitter on these CD players are horrible. Can you imagine jitter in the signal being over 20% in the time domain? It's almost stupid level of jitter. On the other hand, it's true some implementations of spdif receiver does not have as good compatibility as others.
And I don't disagree that people should wait and see what happens. That's also what I would recommend for people who don't need a new dac right away.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So funny that a lot of modern DAC's still seem to have issues with more than 30-year-old digital technology (referring to IEC958) :facepalm:

Where is the regression testing guys? It's easy to claim good jitter performance if the only sources you work reliably with are low jitter in the first place :rolleyes:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So funny that a lot of modern DAC's still seem to have issues with more than 30-year-old digital technology (referring to IEC958) :facepalm:

Where is the regression testing guys? It's easy to claim good jitter performance if the only sources you work reliably with are low jitter in the first place :rolleyes:
I have tested with 5+ cheapest usb to spdif converter. No issue. The poor quality of the output signal of the CD player is the more major cause of the issue.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have tested with 5+ cheapest usb to spdif converter. No issue. The poor quality of the output signal of the CD player is the more major cause of the issue.

Ya did the wrong tests then ;) In a sense, I really can't blame you (or your company) personally for this, and it definitely wasn't meant as a (personal) attack. Your obviously not the only one having issues. Seems like modern SPDIF receiver chips are not as good as the old ones in handling certain sources for some reason.

Mulder

Forum Donor
No no no. I wasn't saying you shouldn't say there is issue. Just I don't quite get your perspective as you have read my comments on this issue.

My only perspective was that someone in the thread asked, due to @amirm ´s warning to early adopters, if there had been a problem with previous Topping DAC models. Important information sometimes tends to be buried in comments when the threads get long, and it is not certain that everyone who is interested in the new DAC followed the discussion about the D30 Pro.

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
Ya did the wrong tests then ;) In a sense, I really can't blame you (or your company) personally for this, and it definitely wasn't meant as a (personal) attack. Your obviously not the only one having issues. Seems like modern SPDIF receiver chips are not as good as the old ones in handling certain sources for some reason.
It’s a bit more complex than that. For absolute best jitter performance you need to set up the PLL in the receiver with a narrow lock range, but that means it will reject signals that already have loads of jitter embedded in them. Older receivers had a wider lock range and better compatibility, but as a direct consequence also displayed poorer jitter performance.

If you want to read more, Analog has an article here (will require registration).
Quoting from it: "With VCOs, a fundamental trade-off between phase noise, frequency coverage, and power consumption is necessary. The higher the quality factor (Q) of the oscillator, the lower the VCO phase noise is. However, higher Q circuits have narrower frequency ranges. Increasing the power supply will also lower the phase noise."
(Phase noise is jitter when considered in the frequency domain.)

Last edited:

Peternz

I wish an admin would take the time to remove off topic posts that are cluttering this thread, this one included.

D

Deleted member 31709

Can you explain more? When do i have to account for headroom?

Sure.
So most ESS / AKM / BB Delta Sigma DACs have an 8x digital interpolation filter followed by (generally) 2nd order IIR which is 8x ~ 32x. And finally the DS modulator (HyperStream in case of ESS).
ESS anyways attenuates the IIR output before it is fed to HyperStream modulator by 3 dB so that it does not overload. So this part we don't have to be concerned about.

It's the 8x interpolation part which needs some special handling in terms of digital clipping prevention.
If you are passing 44K to 192 K and using ESS built in filter, you don't have to worry about (for so long the DAC designer has not enabled the optional 18 dB gain register to the DAC chip).
However if you are passing 352.8 K and upwards PCM, this 8x interpolation is now disabled. So say you decide to do software based oversampling (using HQ Player, SoX, etc), you need to make sure the signal is attenuated enough to not cause inter sample peaks before it is sent to ALSA / WDM endpoint.

Also, if you are a DAC designer, you could have your own custom FIR coefficients to override the ESS built in ones for the 8x digital filter. May be you want a steeper roll off using longer filter lengths. Regardless, here again, care has to be taken to prevent clipping while oversampling.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

If there is no plan for a non-MQA version of the D90SE, I may not be happy about paying for MQA functionality that I would never use, but may still buy the D90SE for its desirable performance and features. But the question was raised in one of the MQA threads I think, that all input to the DAC must be processed first by the MQA firmware (in the XU-216?) in order to test for the MQA watermark, but we do not know whether the MQA firmware (current revision at least) allows non-MQA content to pass through unmolested to the ES9038Pro?

Do Amir's (and WolfX700's) excellent measurement results prove that non-MQA content is passed through unaltered to the ES9038Pro? Is the format sent by the APX555 analyzer LPCM or is it some other format that is untouched but LPCM and DSD etc. would be altered in some way by the MQA firmware? Could any update of the MQA firmware change this property? I think these questions would be on the mind of people who did not wish for MQA functionality but want the D90SE for its other attributes.

strada

This is so great, but why on earth doesn't it include a streaming function like Spotify connect or Roon Ready! Argh!!!!

mocenigo

Major Contributor
What looks like happened is that an out of phase waveform of the signal was created and then shifted up 24kHz. Most probably, a 16/48 or 24/48 file was subjected to some sort of digital filtering that did this. So, although the sound up to 96kHz is correlated with the music, it is not natural and is garbage that can safely be ignored.

Not really, as you see the frequency spectrum is also inverted. Changing phase does not change the frequency response, and shifting up does not invert it. It is an image (an inverted one) and this can be caused by a DAC (usually a R2R DAC in NOS mode) or by doing upsampling without filtering.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If there is no plan for a non-MQA version of the D90SE, I may not be happy about paying for MQA functionality that I would never use, but may still buy the D90SE for its desirable performance and features. But the question was raised in one of the MQA threads I think, that all input to the DAC must be processed first by the MQA firmware (in the XU-216?) in order to test for the MQA watermark, but we do not know whether the MQA firmware (current revision at least) allows non-MQA content to pass through unmolested to the ES9038Pro?

Do Amir's (and WolfX700's) excellent measurement results prove that non-MQA content is passed through unaltered to the ES9038Pro? Is the format sent by the APX555 analyzer LPCM or is it some other format that is untouched but LPCM and DSD etc. would be altered in some way by the MQA firmware? Could any update of the MQA firmware change this property? I think these questions would be on the mind of people who did not wish for MQA functionality but want the D90SE for its other attributes.
The PCM stream is unaltered before the DAC.

slamman

I wish an admin would take the time to remove off topic posts that are cluttering this thread, this one included.
thank goodness you are not. all of this discussion is important as far as ive seen. talking about DAC jitter with CD player not working on topping sometimes and all over convos are on topic even if its not directly about this product. unless it totally derails a mod should let things like that go for a healthy forum with "less" bias.

slamman

This is so great, but why on earth doesn't it include a streaming function like Spotify connect or Roon Ready! Argh!!!!
because its a DAC not a streamer. there are difficulties with streamers especially high performance ones. you have interface screens creating distortion you have CPU possibly or GPU for graphical interface to operate streaming funtions. more power filtering is needed and more power, more complexity and antennas . it would also cost like 2k. its best to just have a dac with a clean USB input from something IMO. streamers are for the living room or kitchen or outside. not hardcore listening . unless you mean server or PC .

Peternz

Because it is a DAC and these are third party applications that some people are not interested in and do not want to pay for equipment the be ready for it. Surely you can set a system up so that this works with roon if you must?
And spotify??? Surely the source component you are using to feed the dac can cope with Spotify.

Pretty much the only thing I dislike about this is that it is MQA ready. I would much prefer to save a few $ and get rid of it being ready for something I have a strong dislike to.

Top Bottom